Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #1

Ignition-switched 12V under dash for dash cam?

Can anyone tell me the easiest place to wire in a dash cam in my 2022 Ventana? I'd like a 12 volt source that is switched on with the ignition, not always hot. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2022, 09:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2022 4334 Ventana. For dash level 12v power (switched) I utilized an unused but already fused and power circuit - the power window circuit. It’s wired and run in the harness under the panel that houses the cup holders, levelling controls and transmission controls. It’s labelled. I added a distribution block under that side panel and ran three separate lines for 3 separate 12v outlets to the front. I drilled a hole centre front dash and installed one there, one on top of the dash to the left of the steering wheel for my Garmin GPS and the third on the front of the dash by the light controls for my tpms. The centre dash one I used for my dash cam until my cat kept chewing the cord when it was plugged in. Lol.

Then instead, I mounted it on the bottom of the front TV cabinet instead. I removed the left wooden louvered panel from the back of the tv cabinet, drilled and access hole into the side of the cabinet above the drivers seat that houses the satellite receiver and ran a usb cord through the louvers from the camera to a usb power block and plugged it into the 110v outlet. So I don’t use switched power now, but my arms are long enough to sit in the seat and reach the camera to turn it on and off - plus with constant power, even if it’s off it detects movement and it will turn on and record.

So win win - no more chewed cords and recordings if someone backs into the front of me in a campsite.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:56 PM   #3

Thanks, Mighty_J. I dug around in the left console today. Unfortunately, my 3717 is not on the same chassis as your 4334. There are no unused wires under the left console. In fact, everything is distressingly neat <g>. I must say that overall, the wiring on my Newmar is FAR better managed than either of my Entegras, nice as those coaches were.

Anyway, nothing there. I'm sure I can get something under the dash. I'm going to NIRVC in just over a week; I'll see what they can tell me.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:57 AM   #4

There is a conduit from the cabinet under the drivers side dash that goes to the fuse panels in outside cab under driver. I ran two black, an orange and a red wire up. I then drill and installed a 12v port on the lower left dash panel. I plug in the dash cam when I use it. I have no need to switch it as its easy to remember to plug and unplug
Old 10-17-2022, 06:02 AM   #5

I had a 12v USB port installed near the windshield. The port is wired to the ignition switch. It also powers my Garmin.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #6

When I am parked at a truck stop or other busy place I want my dash cam to record what is happening around me. Never know when that could save some valuable information. Just my thoughts
Dick
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, dash, ignition, switch