Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #1

I'm done with DuoTherm and their 5 button thermostats

For the last two years I have had failure over failure of 5 button thermostats in my '04 DSDP. A couple of years ago we replaced the rear unit due to freon leak. Since then we have had 5, yes 5, thermostats go bad. I replaced the control board in the front unit after the last thermostat failed thinking it was smoking them but apparently that's not the case.

Everytime it has happened when the weather turned cold. We planned a trip this weekend to a RV park about 80 miles away and when I tried to run the heat pumps the thermostat would not show any power. I went to the local Home Depot, purchased a electric space heater, non programmable thermostat and we got by. I took the non programmable thermostat and wired it into the furnace thermostat wires and used it as a back up to the space heaters.

These thermostats are costing over $200. each and I have spent over $800 on the last four and now another $200 for a replacement again if I have to. I've decided to do the research and replace both AC/Heat pump units with a different brand. Will update when I decide which I will go to. This has been ridiculous. I'm done with Duo Therm and their poor support.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #2

Somewhere on irv2.com I remember reading about a man switching thermostats, he even posted a conversion wiring diagram. That's all i can recall, sorry. Seems like it was 3-4 years ago

I found one of the discussions, however there were more-I think: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/dome...nt-423130.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #3

What exactly do you mean by 'failure'?

Were the Zones 'mis-matched'?
https://sundancecustomrv.com/DuoThermTstat.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Happy to be here!

Monaco Owners Club
The best replacement Is the MicroAir. I would find what is burning yours out, don't think it is the fault of the thermostat.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What exactly do you mean by 'failure'?

Were the Zones 'mis-matched'?
https://sundancecustomrv.com/DuoThermTstat.pdf
Dead, no power, no display.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyndance View Post
The best replacement Is the MicroAir. I would find what is burning yours out, don't think it is the fault of the thermostat.
+1

I would guess there's a few hundred thousand 5 button Dometic's out there that have run trouble free for many, many years.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the others, there would seem to be some problem elsewhere that is killing your thermostats. Over voltage, under voltage, something that is sending a surge to it.
I don't know if such a thing exists, but maybe you want to see if there is some sort of 12 volt monitor that has a log of voltage history. If you can find one plug it in directly to the thermostat 'hot' wire to see what's going on there. At this point I'd question whether any other brand would do better than what you've got.

Based on what you said, it kind of seems like it's the change over from cooling to heating that's causing a problem. WHY that would be I haven't a clue, but it seems like it's hint to somebody who knows more about the overall layout of these systems.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm done with DuoTherm and their 5 button thermostats

If you figure out the system isnít killing your 5 button then Replace it with a microaire easy touch Bluetooth and WiFi enabled thermostat like Many Iíve read are doing. Control the auto thermostat with your phone via Bluetooth in the coach or anywhere via WiFi if you have constant wifi in the coach.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
Dead, no power, no display.
I agree with others, this isnít the thermostat fault, voltage issue is causing them to fail. You sound like a DIY owner but it may be time to get the coach to an HVAC expert to troubleshoot
Old 11-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
+1

I would guess there's a few hundred thousand 5 button Dometic's out there that have run trouble free for many, many years.
And so did these until recently. Everything has been changed and the silver satin wiring to the thermostat has been checked and no issues. Duo Therm support told me to have a rv dealer replace it and test. That would be great except dealer says if it pops again no warranty. Previous owner had a spare in the coach because he had one go bad also. Everything has been replaced or checked and no issues are found. Sometimes it's better to stay with old school. At least there would be a work around as where a digital system is dead if it has problems.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The MicroAire EasyTouch is the singular most gratifying technology upgrade we have made to our Coach.

Easy install, great instructions, the device worked flawlessly first time I called for service from the onboard command unit, iPhone and iPad.
APFflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
For the last two years I have had failure over failure of 5 button thermostats in my '04 DSDP. A couple of years ago we replaced the rear unit due to freon leak. Since then we have had 5, yes 5, thermostats go bad. I replaced the control board in the front unit after the last thermostat failed thinking it was smoking them but apparently that's not the case.

Everytime it has happened when the weather turned cold. We planned a trip this weekend to a RV park about 80 miles away and when I tried to run the heat pumps the thermostat would not show any power. I went to the local Home Depot, purchased a electric space heater, non programmable thermostat and we got by. I took the non programmable thermostat and wired it into the furnace thermostat wires and used it as a back up to the space heaters.

These thermostats are costing over $200. each and I have spent over $800 on the last four and now another $200 for a replacement again if I have to. I've decided to do the research and replace both AC/Heat pump units with a different brand. Will update when I decide which I will go to. This has been ridiculous. I'm done with Duo Therm and their poor support.
I would guess that the newer unit has some differences in the electronics that is doing something to the Thermostat. The older units had a telephone cable connecting the front and rear unit for data and control. Maybe something is wired differently in the newer unit and there might be power on a previously non-powered wire? Just thinking aloud here.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I would guess that the newer unit has some differences in the electronics that is doing something to the Thermostat. The older units had a telephone cable connecting the front and rear unit for data and control. Maybe something is wired differently in the newer unit and there might be power on a previously non-powered wire? Just thinking aloud here.
The newer unit is the slave unit on the rear of the coach. It's controlled by the front unit which is controlled by the thermostat.

I have ordered a Micro Air thermostat and waiting on its delivery. Hopefully this resolves the problems. It will be a couple of weeks before delivery so I won't post any updates until it comes in.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #14

Something is blowing your thermostats. Whatever it is will most likely blow that new $250 Micro Air thermostat.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
duotherm, thermostat