Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Impact of Options, or the Price of Ignorance

After weighing our Bay Star and finding we were almost at our maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (surprising given how light we travel), I have been doing a bit more research to try to understand what happened to that 2700 lbs. of Combined Cargo Capacity shown in the brochure.

After re-reading the Owner's Manual, I looked for the rating sticker for our coach (there is a unique one for every coach), which is located on the lower part of the wall to the left of the driver's seat. I was astonished to see that the maximum weight of occupants and cargo, including water, is actually only 1279 lbs. That would mean our actual Unloaded Vehicle Weight was not the 17,800 lbs in the brochure but 19,221 lbs.

I wondered what consumed that 1421 lbs of CCC. Looking more closely, I saw that it was the Options added to the coach. And ours came with almost every option available! Vinyl tile in bedroom, rear bedroom window, double pane windows, rear ladder, 110V heat pads, second A/C with 50 amp EMS, front overhead TV, side view cameras, surround sound, solid surface counter, 10cf residential refrigerator, and R19 roof batting. It quickly adds up.

We did not originally grasp the complexity or the significance of how quickly (and almost automatically) weight becomes added to an RV and reduces personal CCC. Happily for us, this knowledge would not have changed our decision to purchase our particular coach. There is nothing I would take away from it (other than the extra TV sets, and we may do that at some point). However, the knowledge would have made us much more careful than we have been about choosing what to carry.

We can work within the 1279 lb CCC limitation now that we know and fully understand what it is. Fortunately, we are not large people, nor do we travel "heavy".

I share this part of our learning journey to encourage others to actually look at the CCC sticker for their specific coach and understand the weight impact of options, especially if you are ordering a new coach or making modifications to one you already have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. Mine is a much heavier coach, but did not understand
That options were all added weight to the brochure weight. Also DW loaded every nook and cranny with "stuff". We have every option offered including both air and hydraulic leveling. Must check now.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #3

Yes the options can add up weight wise. I remember one mfg years ago that listed option weights with each option in their sales brochure. Don't remember which RV mfg it was though.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At delivery I was astonished to find the '02 DSDP had only 663#'s of CCC even though the advertised NCC was 5,500#'s and we didn't have the real tile floor nor the Splendid unit. And all the 663#' was on the rear axle. In fact the rig was overloaded by 50#'s on the front axle when the propane and fuel tanks were full and BEFORE we ever loaded a thing or even got aboard.
After some discussion with Newmar and our AG'S office Newmar had Spartan replace the 12,000# front axle with a 14,600# unit. Later I went to larger front tires so I had the full capacity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Can't tell you how many folks find this out the hard way. I only know of one class C that has any CCC and Class A gas are notorious for being over weight. Most of the coaches met, just barely some times, the GVWR when they leave the lot. Options can really make a difference when you are only talking 2000 CCC on a stripped model.

Sorry for your hard lesson. Now go and spread the word.

I have found two types of RVers in my travels. Conscientious folks like you that check and; folks that don't. The second type are easy to spot. They are the ones driving 80mph, tires under inflated, carrying 2000lbs over their GVWR, towing a double stack trailer that buts them over 65', and swerving in and out of their lane because of either the weather or distraction. OK I'm sure I'll get hate-mail from some of these folks but to coin popeye, ya is what ya is.

Keep being safe out there.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Can't tell you how many folks find this out the hard way...Sorry for your hard lesson. Now go and spread he word.
Right now I am thanking God for our safe travels prior to this! When we bought our Class C we were rank novices who never knew enough to consider weight, so I am sure we traveled very overweight for that almost 2 years. We have had our Class A for a year now, and until I read about weight on irv2 it never occurred to me to dissect the topic. I assumed we had the full 2700 lbs CCC noted in the brochure.

We will have the excess 120 lbs of weight off the rear axle by the time we leave. Most of it will have been literally consumed. Then we are going to re-evaluate our cargo and streamline wherever we can so we are well within limits going forward.

And yes, I am going to become downright evangelical on the weight issue!

As a side note, I imagine the low CCC may have been the reason our gently used one year old coach sat on the dealer's lot for 9 months. This floorplan has 2 sofas, which reduced the brochure CCC a lot relative to the other models. But it's a perfect layout for us, so now that I understand her weight limitations we can travel in maximum safety.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting post. For those who may not know, the same is true for autos and trucks. This becomes important when trying to determine the weight of a vehicle to tow. Any posted weight will be for a "standard" vehicle and the weight of options need to be added.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Howard, good to see a fellow inactive reserve Air Force member online. Keep keeping artificial the horizon plumb and level.

Patti, yep scary isn't it. My rule on what we pack is, if it didn't get used this trip it gets taken out of the coach. This does not apply to safety equipment. Of coarse if you are overweight with just safety equipment on board, get a new coach.

What frosts my... Headlights are folks that think if they want to travel 2000lbs overweight, it's none of my business. Let's see, I'm on the highway with you and your 50,000lbs deathtrap that I may not be able to avoid. Probably low probability but still a risk. The real issue is, because these people are bound and determined to be stupid, I will soon be over regulated by the government because I am lumped in with them. That's why I have a right to comment. Ok, I'll go take my meds.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #9

When I was shopping for a coach , I got a call back from a saleslady about a Class A, when I asked about CCC , she went to the unit and came back with 518 lbs !
The 36' unit had every option available , I did go to see the unit ; fantastic !
BUT, as I said to the saleslady as I toured the unit with the DW and S-in-l and her husband, " You realize that right now with the 5 of us in here, this unit is overloaded. " She agreed but when exiting , I was asked by the sales manager if I was dealing on the unit , when I said , No ! , he said good, there was another buyer waiting . Someone who didn't care about weights only the glitz.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

On the other hand................

My Itasca 37H is rated (as built) at 22,400 lbs. with a full (90 gallons) tank of fuel and a half tank (31 gallons) of fresh water. CCC is 7,000 lbs. on top of that. Even at 29,400 with full cargo, it is rated for another 10,000 lbs towing capacity.

I do have some gripes with the unit, but capacity certainly is not one of them.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Can't tell you how many folks find this out the hard way. I only know of one class C that has any CCC and Class A gas are notorious for being over weight. Most of the coaches met, just barely some times, the GVWR when they leave the lot. Options can really make a difference when you are only talking 2000 CCC on a stripped model.

Sorry for your hard lesson. Now go and spread the word.

I have found two types of RVers in my travels. Conscientious folks like you that check and; folks that don't. The second type are easy to spot. They are the ones driving 80mph, tires under inflated, carrying 2000lbs over their GVWR, towing a double stack trailer that buts them over 65', and swerving in and out of their lane because of either the weather or distraction. OK I'm sure I'll get hate-mail from some of these folks but to coin popeye, ya is what ya is.

Keep being safe out there.
AMEN! ......especially those pulling 5ers and TT's

FWIW - I'm one of those that takes everything that goes in the RV and weighs it. A couple of things I've learned after 7 RVs is (1) If you have space, you or your wife will put something in it & (2) most salesmen are paid by what they sell, not by what they tell you can be towed or carried and what effect it will have on GVW or GAWR's.

Also for the OP.....Loose about half that water you carry (unless you're dry camping) and you can gain quite a few pounds of cargo capacity. Our 2009 Baystar (per the weights sticker inside the cabinet & after water, propane, & persons) CCC is 2408 but they only allow 150 per person and I guarantee I weigh more than that! We limited the options we were looking for, even going used, specifically because of that "dealer installed" statement on the bottom of that statement.
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the things we assume is "someone" is looking after us and ensuring that we can load a unit (including cars) with all of the items you would expect the vehicle to logically carry.

Food, passengers, fuel, water, luggage, utensils, cutlery and any sports equipment (golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc) that would be used while travelling with our unit.

If it has sleeping and seat belts for 4 we should be able to load up and go. Without worry or doing a weights and balance. Seems reasonable to me.

IMO our demand for lower cost and more features has caused the manufacturers to cut corners to save on construction costs. It seems like one of the savings is by running the capacity of the chassis as close to the bone as possible. Unfortunately the consumer gets caught quite often when the crunch comes.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt n Fish View Post
...Also for the OP.....Loose about half that water you carry (unless you're dry camping) and you can gain quite a few pounds of cargo capacity. Our 2009 Baystar (per the weights sticker inside the cabinet & after water, propane, & persons) CCC is 2408 but they only allow 150 per person and I guarantee I weigh more than that! We limited the options we were looking for, even going used, specifically because of that "dealer installed" statement on the bottom of that statement.
We do not carry water when we travel, so no savings to be had there. Our CCC without it is 1279 lbs. and our rating sticker states specifically that the 1279 figure does NOT include the weight of occupants or cargo, including water. So we have to begin with 1279 and deduct our body weight (and the dog's) and then adjust everything else--including water--to what is available after that. Good thing we travel light, and it is about to get even lighter! We need water for the infield camping at an upcoming NASCAR race!

And the "dealer installed" options are NOT the same as the factory installed ones. The factory installed options are often the ones that eat into the CCC, unrealized by the folks who read the unoptioned brochure value and assume that is the starting point.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have friend's that recently traded their C in that they purchased new. With the fresh tank full it wouldn't steer. It was overloaded from the factory, with a full fresh tank, fuel and propane before they moved in it was 800lbs over on the drive axle. the worse part all of that weight was at least 8-10 feet behind the drive axle, like a see saw. They put up with it for 7 years of part timing. Not sure why they didn't make a fuss to Fleetwood about it.
We saw a mini Van pulling a 27-30 ft TT on I-84 over the summer, there is no way he wasn't overloaded. Be careful out there!
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote