Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #1

In - coach Water Filter

On average, how often do you have to change your coach water filter? We’ve had to change ours twice in the last 2 weeks which seems excessive considering our first filter went for 6 months. We’re using the same Newmar Flo-Pur 6 filter that came with the coach. Thanks for your help,
Carol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I change mine every 4-6 months, depending on how much we have used the coach. Why are you changing your filter so frequently? What signs are you seeing that tells you the filter needs changing?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My whole house filter usually last us the entire season and we are on the road as much as 4 months of the year. I suppose a lot would depend on how much water you are using. When my 2 grand kids travel with us my water consumption soars. I might not make it the whole season if they were with us all the time.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I've had them last the entire season and I've had three in a season. If you visit a campground with bad water, the filter will do its job and clean you water supply. If water flow decreases, I check the filter and change as necessary.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #5

Water filters come in many different filter materials. Some water filters are as tight as 1 micron which would plug up within a week or 2. We use a 10 micron filter which is good for around 2 to 4 thousand gallons or stated another way 2 to 3 months.When water pressure and flow go down it's time to check or replace your water filter.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

We have been full time since last November and still experimenting with our filters. Tried a 2-pack from GS and now have one in from Menard's. Generally speaking they have all been cheaper 10" (5 micron) type whole house filters and are lasting about 3 months.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:23 AM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We change our filter every six months. Although, we did have one plug up within a week in an Ohio state park campground, early spring with rusty water.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I purge the city water faucet prior to connecting as typically "yuck" comes out first and I don't want this in my filter or my coach. I use the filters recommended by Newmar (micron size, etc.) on Newgle and buy them in 4 at a time on Amazon. You want that "stuff" filtered, not filters just lasting longer to save money. There was a recent article I read on a RV mailing I get weekly about water quality and campgrounds and ecoli - be careful and get your water filtered properly!

When I see max timeout errors on Autofill it's a sign to change the filter. I typically change mine quarterly. Filters are there for a reason, you can help matters by purging city water and if really desired put one of those blue filters inline at the city water connection which I used to do and stopped.

RV water filters on Amazon

Is Campground Drinking Water Contaminated?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree with purging the stagnant water out of the hose bib before hooking up to the coach. I tend to even wipe them down with a Clorox wipe if I remember.

However keep in mind that these filters are for sediment and taste, they are not going to filter out E-coli bacteria.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

I've been changing just once a year with the same brand element my coach came with. I only bother as some protection from sediment for my plumbing/appliances. I also carry a spray bottle with alcohol & give the hook up a quick wipe (and run some water) before I hook my water hose.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I purge the city water faucet prior to connecting as typically "yuck" comes out first and I don't want this in my filter or my coach. I use the filters recommended by Newmar (micron size, etc.) on Newgle and buy them in 4 at a time on Amazon. You want that "stuff" filtered, not filters just lasting longer to save money. There was a recent article I read on a RV mailing I get weekly about water quality and campgrounds and ecoli - be careful and get your water filtered properly!

When I see max timeout errors on Autofill it's a sign to change the filter. I typically change mine quarterly. Filters are there for a reason, you can help matters by purging city water and if really desired put one of those blue filters inline at the city water connection which I used to do and stopped.

RV water filters on Amazon

Is Campground Drinking Water Contaminated?
Anyone used/installed an ultraviolet light sterilizer like those listed in the second link?
Old 06-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Anyone used/installed an ultraviolet light sterilizer like those listed in the second link?

Will it whiten my teeth? [emoji51]
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yep, I use a Sterilight UV filter in my water filtration system:

While I don't know if it whitens teeth, a UV filter pretty much kills all bacteria, virus, and cysts. A UV filter also kills algae which left unchecked can do a number on your water system.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Yep, I use a Sterilight UV filter in my water filtration system:

While I don't know if it whitens teeth, a UV filter pretty much kills all bacteria, virus, and cysts. A UV filter also kills algae which left unchecked can do a number on your water system.
Holy cow! Looked at the link to your system. Certainly set a high bar wrt capabilities and challenge of installation!

Tags
water