Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Induction Cooktop v. Electric Cooktop

I have followed some threads for a while on the topic of induction cooktop v. electric cooktop. In particular, I have been looking for info to determine the feasibility and cost of changing out the two burner electric cooktop on our 2013 all electric Dutch Star 4018 to the True Induction two burner induction cooktop that Newmar has been installing for a while on Essex and King Aire and recently been making available on Mountain Aire and Dutch Star when the coach is originally being planned. I have seen several comments in the Newmar Owners' Forum from others who own the True Induction unit and those comments have been uniformly positive.

This past week, I contacted Newmar to ask whether the replacement could be made by Newmar and if so how much it would cost if done there. I want to share the info I received from Newmar with the Forum.

In the 2013 Dutch Star -- as opposed to the 2014 model -- the countertop has a cut out for the cooktop. The '13 Dutch Star design is the same design in many other Newmar coaches. In order to use the cooktop, you simply lift up the cut out countertop and lock it in place in order to have access to the cooktop (the '14 does not have the cut out as the cooktop is flush on top of the countertop).

Newmar told me initially that while the True Induction two burner cooktop has a retail cost to customers of (only) $511.00, the problem with the installation is that the entire countertop has to be replaced in order to do the change out -- and in our case, since we optioned our Dutch Star with Mountain Aire marble countertops, the charge for the new countertop material would be another almost $2,000.00.

The need for replacement of the countertop occurs, as I understand it, because the induction cooktop is slightly smaller than the electric cooktop and in order to assure integrity of the fit of the induction cooktop, new countertop material with the correct fit cut out to install the new cook top is necessary.

I wrote back to Newmar and said that this did not make sense to me because of the design on the 2013 Dutch Star with the cooktop being under, but not on top of, the countertop. I asked them to check that again. I also asked for a complete price to do the change out with replacement of countertop in the event that I was wrong and that replacement of the entire countertop would be necessary.

In response to my questions, I was told first that in order to do the entire job with replacement of the countertop, the cost would be somewhere in the $6,500.00-7,000.00 range! I was then later told a few hours later in a separate email with no further explanation that Newmar would not be able to do the retrofit.

I have to say that I am surprised at this. This is a job that must be able to be done -- the only issue can be cost. There may be reasons that Newmar doesn't want to do this work, but I am of the belief that induction is a much better system than electric and that the induction cooktop would work fine with the existing circuitry. I understand that there is a technical issue with size between the two cooktops, but I have a hard time believing that the entire countertop material would have to be replaced, especially in the 2013 Dutch Star model with the cooktop being placed under the countertop, not on top of it like the '14.

So ... I pass along this information for anyone looking to do what I am trying to accomplish and I also invite any comments or suggestions from anyone who can think of another, reasonably priced way to make this work.

Thanks.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
One thing that might be complicating the rework is that the True Induction might be deeper (thicker) than the non-induction cooktop. Which means it might not fit into that space without obstructing the drawer underneath. When they install as a surface mount (or retrofit as one as ours was done), that's not an issue.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #3

Deek
Here is a link to the True induction web site. They haves video for installation and other RV installs.

http://www.trueinduction.com/DualBur...InCounter.aspx

-Brian
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

Deek,

I am also confused by their response $7000 will buy a lot of shrimp in Florida!!

My guess is that Newmar ( along with other Class A mfg.'s) are so covered up in new coach orders that they are forced to pick and choose what they do with their available resources. A consequence of the "feast or famine" business cycle that these companies have gone thru over the past few years.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

I know it's not a very elegant solution but on our SS entitlement budget we found that a single burner $70USD Fagol induction unit works well for us. It sits nicely on top of the propane stove cover when we're not using the cooktop and can be easily stored when not being used-or moved to another location on the counter when we have guests and need extra cooking resources, which is often.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

Hi Deek,
I also plan on going True Induction this summer. I want to replace my Norcold refrigerator for a Samsung and by converting both I can remove my propane tank and gain a new storage compartment.

I already know I can run a new 12 ga wire into my kitchen slide (20A breaker) and because my gas stove is mounted under the counter, under a cover, I believe it will be easy to replace the "sub-counter" with something else to match and fit the electric cooktop.

I will be at Newmar on May 2-3 for service on my slides and will be discussing my refrigerator/stove conversion with them. If I get info that may be relevant to others I will gladly post again...

Here are pics of my current installation:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2961.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	60401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2962.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	60402  

Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

Maybe a counter top company can come up with a plan to modify the existing counter top or make a new one for much less than $7K.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

I do think the newer Corian designs, which resemble marble, are more expensive. Our countertop is a cheaper Corian design from 2008 and the cost to replace was close to 4K, plus the cost to take out the tank and rebuild the bin area. It took them longer than they initially estimated, so I'm not surprised the cost is now higher.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Hi Deek, I also plan on going True Induction this summer. I want to replace my Norcold refrigerator for a Samsung and by converting both I can remove my propane tank and gain a new storage compartment. I already know I can run a new 12 ga wire into my kitchen slide (20A breaker) and because my gas stove is mounted under the counter, under a cover, I believe it will be easy to replace the "sub-counter" with something else to match and fit the electric cooktop. I will be at Newmar on May 2-3 for service on my slides and will be discussing my refrigerator/stove conversion with them. If I get info that may be relevant to others I will gladly post again... Here are pics of my current installation:
If you would like a second quote on your remodel work, I highly recommend Mastertech RV up in Elkhart. They did a bunch of interior work for us 3 years ago, including a residential frig, and we were and continue to be very happy with the quality of their work. Very knowledgeable and professional. They seem to do a lot of Newmar work.

If you are interested call Jack Harris at 866-895-4556.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #10

We have been using a Berghoff double burner induction cook top in our Essex for about a year now, just had it sitting on the cook top cover. Today I embarked on a project to swap the original Princess cook top for the Berghoff. I will try and get pictures of the progress. Getting the old cooktop out was a bit of a challenge, I must have starred and searched for mounting screws for 30 min before I realized it was stuck down with double sided tape!
Now to install an outlet and enlarge the opening, wish me luck
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
$7000 is just a bit too much, considering what I think induction is worth. If it were me, i'd get a complimentary piece of Corian made up to fit the recess, cut to accommodate the True unit. Should cost a lot less than 7 grand.

Keep in mind...most mfrs. are in THAT very business, which is new coach construction. The retro/ remodel guys excel in coming up with ideas such as this. That seems like the way to go.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #12

All this assumes the Corian pattern is still available. That could be the reason Newmar said no.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A good Corian shop could fit a piece of Corian and match your existing counter top into the recessed stove well and cut out for your new cook top.
The existing cover may be able to be used to keep the same work surface you have now.
The new stove top would be hidden under your counter folding top.
I had a Corian counter made to match the same kitchen counter when I put in these cabinets.

Same Corian color patents are still in existence of my counter ten years later.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #14

Well I ate enough Corian dust but here it is installed in place of the original Princess cooktop. The circuit to the old cook top was 20 amp and wired directly to the breaker panel. Job took about an hour but we will be dropping up Corian dust for weeks!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397267924345.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	60418  
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote