Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #1

Information Please Bay Star Sport 2812

We are under contract to sell our 2015 Ventana 4002. We were full time but now have a regular house again. We want to continue to RV but want to downsize. We are looking at used Bay Stars from 28 to 32 feet from 2014 through 2018 as we want to stay with a Newmar. We have found a good looking Bay Star Sport 2812 but it is over 3,000 miles away from us. I am talking with the owner later today and if it checks out plan on flying out to look at it in the next week or so. Any information you can share about your Bay Star Sport or Bay Star would be greatly appreciated. Because we have plenty of experience with a Newmar coach I am not concerned with the generic coach issues, its part of the fun. I am more concerned about issues with a smaller gas coach, Bay Stars or this model or model year.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #2

In a gas coach I don't think you can go wrong with a Baystar. We had a 32' for 9 years and it was very reliable. We took several trips with no toad because it was so maneuverable we could pretty much go wherever we wanted with the coach. You already know that the stock Ford chassis will be a huge step down from a diesel air ride. That's the only negative, IMO.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:22 PM   #3

We went from a 45 ft Entegra Cornerstone to a 33ft New Aire and now have a 34 ft Baystar. Ye mo the Ford chassis is a huge downgrade but much cheaper to operate and maintain. The house has a lot fewer bling items, manual light switches instead of a silverleaf panel etc but still has the Newmar construction and very good furniture. The smaller units make much better use of inside storage with drawers and cabinets plus small areas with doors to stash a lit. The basement on the ford chassis has quite a bit of room but you have to get on your knees to get things in and out(I bought a pair of knee pads). Overall because we have gone from being on the road 10 months of the year to a few weeks at most at a time, we are very happy with our Baystar and don’t regret our decision at all. All just my opinion and our experience of owning RVs for well over 40 years.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:47 PM   #4

You might check to see what chassis is used on the sport. At that size, my guess would be the 18k F53 and it probably has the 19.5” wheels. Some say that chassis rides harder than the 24k or 26k with the 22.5” tires.

I suspect the Bay Star would be on the 24k chassis and would be preferred.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:09 PM   #5

I have a 2017 BSS that is 31’. It has and I believe all BSS have 19.5” tires. I wish my chassis was more substantial and that I had 22” tires. You find that on the Baystar, non Sport models.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:16 AM   #6

We had a 2019 BSS 3008 for about 3 years (before downsizing to a class B). As mentioned the Ford chassis is not very sophisticated and you might be disappointed in the ride, handling and noise level. But ours was reliable, comfortable and fun to drive. Went over the Rocky Mountains several times towing a small car with no complaints. A few minutes in the truck lane on the largest passes but that didn’t bother me like it does some folks. Mine was “happiest” at about 65-67 mph so again it’s best not be in a big hurry. Our gas mileage consistently was about 6mpg. The biggest issue we had was with poor quality seat material which began shredding within the first six months. But Newmar replaced it all under warranty and it was fine thereafter. Go into it with your eyes open and you’ll be fine. Happy hunting and good luck.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:28 PM   #7

If you have not ridden I or driven a motorhome on the Ford F53 chassis, I might suggest doing so before investing the time & money to check out the BSS across the country. The priorities of the Ford chassis are inexpensive, durable, and reliable. I think it does well at achieving those, but you’ll notice that comfortable and quiet were not on the list.

Driving a Newmar product would obviously be preferred, but any manufacturers product on the same or similar size & weight Ford chassis will give you a feel for what it will be like. You don’t state the model year of the BSS so we don’t know if it’s the old chassis or the new chassis. The updated chassis - anything with the v8 engine - rides and drives better, and is earning a reputation for being quieter and more fuel efficient.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:49 PM   #8

We have a BSS 2702 that we bought new in 2017. It's on a medium truck chassis and it won't feel like air ride unless you spend thousands on an after market suspension.

However, setting the toe-in, truing the front wheels and adjusting tire pressure make it easy to cover miles without being an ordeal.

We don't tow a toad. It's the size of a UPS truck so we drive it any place UPS goes.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:11 AM   #9

Ours is a 2016 BSS 3004, F53, 19.5, 30k plus miles, and owned it from new. Thus far have had only one issue with the chassis and that was a leaky PS reservoir. On good road, drives fine, a bit noisy on hill climbs. Can be a bit harsh of roads in disrepair, and hates it when there is poor continuity between road and bridge.

Visit the Ford chassis section on this website. Lots of discussions, and advice on the F53/V10 chassis.

The slides have been fine although had to replace slide controller on kitchen slide. Mine has kitchen, bedroom, and FWS.

Unfortunately our unit was built on a day when final inspection staff was taking a break. However Newmar made everything good. Ask the owner of the BSS to send pictures of the upholstery. Many Newmar had/have issues with the material going bad.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:19 PM   #10

Thank you for the insights and comments. I am happy to say nothing surprised me or told me I should not continue to pursue the smaller Bay Star to replace our larger Ventana.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger John View Post
I have a 2017 BSS that is 31’. It has and I believe all BSS have 19.5” tires. I wish my chassis was more substantial and that I had 22” tires. You find that on the Baystar, non Sport models.
The BSS line is on 19.5 tires. You'll appreciate them when it comes time to replace all 6 due to age...much less painful than 22.5s. I changed out all 6 along with mounting, balancing, new valve stems and sandblasting and powder coating the rims. The bill came to just over $2800. I did the R and R myself.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Knowing the "F-53" chassis ride & handling can present a challenge;

I would suggest setting aside $4,000-$6,000 for chassis improvements, such as Koni shocks, a "Track Bar" (absolutely needed),& maybe sway bars.

OR invest the $20-$25 K to install "Liquid Spring" suspension, which will give you the best possible ride/drive characteristics, you can get in a coach like that!

Good Luck!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:32 PM   #13

Thanks again for all the input. I closed the deal on Friday afternoon in Florida and took off right away for Washington State, my home. I am in the middle of Texas as I type this. I love the coach so far but will be looking at Koni shocks and more to shore up the suspension. This is a big change from our Ventana but the coach is well built and has all we need and I think it will be our last coach for the next 10 years or whenever we give up RV'ing.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway4002 View Post
Thanks again for all the input. I closed the deal on Friday afternoon in Florida and took off right away for Washington State, my home. I am in the middle of Texas as I type this. I love the coach so far but will be looking at Koni shocks and more to shore up the suspension. This is a big change from our Ventana but the coach is well built and has all we need and I think it will be our last coach for the next 10 years or whenever we give up RV'ing.

CONGRATS!!!!

HAPPY TRAILS!!

ENJOY!!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star