Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Initial impression of 2017 DS 4310- bunk model

If you are in the market for a bunk model, our family is of the opinion that Newmar has outdone itself with this 2 bath floor plan. I want to make clear that we have not yet taken delivery. That doesn't happen for a few weeks. After we have a chance to actually spend time camping in it, we'll post another update. We ordered our coach in May without ever having a chance to see an actual prototype. So 2 weeks ago we went to the factory to view a random 4310 that had just come offline. Additionally, we spent time today in building 7 watching our own coach being built.

As far as the floor plan is concerned, you cannot ask for more when traveling with children. They completely have their own very functional (and relatively spacious) bathroom while mom and dad have their own. In the 4 prior bunk models we've owned, we've always felt as though we were sacrificing in terms of the master bath. DW and I would often comment that we will have to wait till we grow up before we could have one of those more luxurious master bath's that many of you enjoy. Well, I am happy to report that this floorplan has satisfied that craving. This may be the nicest master bath we have had to date.

We all know that when traveling with children, adequate storage space is essential. From our initial inspection, the 4310 delivers in this regard too. There is a nice deep closet immediately adjacent to the pantry for additional storage for the children's clothing etc. Also, there are the standard drawers below the bottom bunk. There were many deep drawers in the forward bathroom. Our advice to anyone considering this floor plan would be to not order the optional safe. After seeing how it protrudes out in the rear wardrobe closet in the master bath we made a change on the fly to have that removed from our order. Unless you're traveling with a lot of valuables or guns, that would be something you will be happy to omit. If you have to have one, ask them if they can install it under the bed.

Another random thought. This will be the last time we order a kitchen window. When we asked if we could omit it, we were told it was too late in the process to change our mind. We have seen too many units with the clean, sleek backsplash without the window. Maybe if it was just the window it would be OK, but by the time you add in the valance and the motorized mechanism for the shades, it seems to take away more than it adds. Just the opinion of one family, I know there are many out there who feel differently.

The other thing that made me happy is the planning and engineering that seems to have gone into the design prior to launching a floor plan with two full baths. We were happy to see today that this model of DS receives a beefier version of Oasis (model NE-S) to keep up with the higher demand for hot water. Additionally, the 4310 receives the same higher capacity water pump used in the King Aires. It seems as though they have thought things through.

So we all know there's a limited amount of real estate inside a coach and you don't get something for nothing. in other words, if they have fit in an additional shower, that space had to come from somewhere. both times we were inside the coach we were trying to figure out exactly where the space came from. Obviously, some of it came from kitchen counter space, because there is no longer a pullout island. Some of this has been neutralized with the introduction of the recessed cooktop which allows for additional counterspace. Time will tell after we prepare meals in the kitchen as to whether this is a big drawback or not. As for the rest of the space needed to accommodate the 2nd shower, it seems as though they've taken small amounts of space from several areas as to where it's not totally noticeable in any one of the areas.

Lastly, one of the improvements for 2017 (for all DS) that I'm looking forward to having is the auto fresh water fill. The thought of not having to go outside to fill the fresh water tank is quite appealing. I'm hoping it performs as advertised. I have read posts in the past where several of you have devised your own mechanisms to accomplish this task.

These are the initial thoughts for now. More to follow.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #2

We walked thru a 17 bunk model and were impressed. It appeared to have far less storage than our 4369 but everything is a trade off and compromise. Prior to this DS that we have we had a Winnebago solei that had the bunks. While it was not near the quality of our current one they did have a good idea with putting the upper bunk on a lift to raise it and a coat rod under it for garments as well as a two place table that converted from the bottom bunk. Allowed some versatility.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
CentILRVer,

I am also thinking about ordering this model for my family of four later this year and am glad to hear of your positive review at this early stage (and congrats on the soon to be coach). If you have the time, may I ask you a few questions?

Did you order the dishwasher, or did you find that with the slightly reduced space of the kitchen that you valued the two drawers more?

Roughly how wide is the wardrobe next to that pantry? It looks narrow and one of the thoughts I had was requesting a special to have Newmar install two drawers at the bottom that were the width of the wardrobe and pantry, leaving the top portion the in the same configuration with less height (perhaps turning the remaining wardrobe portion into hanging closet for coats, etc.)

Thank you in advance for your time and responses,

Bill
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

What is he master shower like? From the brochure the shower in the master looks a little small. That is my only concern with the floor plan.
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
That's a good question, and one I forgot to ask. The mid-coach bath's shower actually looks larger to me, but I suspect some of that is based on perspective of the rectangular shape versus curved shape of the rear shower.

Regards,

Bill
Old 07-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
So we all know there's a limited amount of real estate inside a coach and you don't get something for nothing. in other words, if they have fit in an additional shower, that space had to come from somewhere. both times we were inside the coach we were trying to figure out exactly where the space came from. Obviously, some of it came from kitchen counter space, because there is no longer a pullout island. Some of this has been neutralized with the introduction of the recessed cooktop which allows for additional counterspace. Time will tell after we prepare meals in the kitchen as to whether this is a big drawback or not. As for the rest of the space needed to accommodate the 2nd shower, it seems as though they've taken small amounts of space from several areas as to where it's not totally noticeable in any one of the areas.
Looking at the 4310 vs the almost identical 4326 bath and half the space come from a queen vs king bed. That's a tough one, looking ahead to what I would like in a large DP bunkhouse a king would be nice, but so would two full baths.

I actually really like the old 4313 with separate bunk room and single large bath accessible from bed, bunk or living room. A similar floorpan can still be found in the Fleetwood Discovery 40g for much less cost, buts its no Dutch Star.

Can't wait to hear a hands on review of the 4310, the Dutch Star would be my ultimate family rig, tempted to just go fulltime with one.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #7

CentILRVer,

Wow. Thank you so much for the detailed impressions. I am very focused on DS bunk models for a future purchase, and am very glad to hear that your impressions are so positive so far.

Let me pile on with a couple of follow up questions as well.

Did you look at the 4326, the other (even newer) DS bunk floor plan? Floor plan drawing and build sheets were recently posted on Newmar website, but I haven't seen any on dealer websites, so maybe they haven't built any yet. From what I see, the 4326 modifies the 4310 in a couple ways: eliminating the second shower, moving from queen to king bed, and adding a touch more storage for the bunk occupants (small wardrobe on passenger side across from bunks). The king bed is kind of a big deal for me, so the 4326 is currently on the top of my list. Any impressions on the 4326, pro or con, or differences I missed, based on your research?

The build sheets for both the 4310 and 4326 show a pantry on the passenger side, just rear of the fridge. But the pictures I have seen of the 4310 don't seem to have that pantry. Phantom pantry? Maybe real on the 4326?

Again, thanks so much for the write-up and I look forward to hearing more as you take delivery and live with the coach.

2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1
M Bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Mike,

I think you lose that passenger side pantry when you option the residential refrigerator, which pretty much all dealers option now. It would definitely be nice to have that in addition to the residential refrigerator, but everything is a trade-off.

Regards,

Bill
Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #9

Here's the operating instruction manual for the Oasis NE-S. Now I understand why some of the early 2017 literature talked about an 80M unit. It is an 95,000 BTU unit. Manual is dated Jan 2016. From the overview.

The Oasis® NE-S Heating System uses an 85,000 BTU (true output) diesel burner (12 VDC) controlled by a multi-functional electronic controller as the primary source of heating coolant fluid (anti-freeze and water). Two 1500 Watt, 120 VAC immersion elements are used as secondary heat sources to provide an additional 10,000 BTU of heat. The Oasis® NE-S Heating System heats the coolant fluid to provide a source of heat for all hydronic space heating needs. Through the use of its integral distribution pumps, the Oasis® NE-S Heating System has the ability to circulate the coolant fluid to all space heating areas. It can also provide a supply of domestic hot water using the integral heat exchanger. The Oasis® also incorporates engine heat and preheat functions. (see Figure 1-2: Oasis® NE-S Heating System).

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ges/134890.pdf
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
Mike,

I think you lose that passenger side pantry when you option the residential refrigerator, which pretty much all dealers option now. It would definitely be nice to have that in addition to the residential refrigerator, but everything is a trade-off.

Regards,

Bill

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks much.

2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1
Old 07-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
CentILRVer,

I am also thinking about ordering this model for my family of four later this year and am glad to hear of your positive review at this early stage (and congrats on the soon to be coach). If you have the time, may I ask you a few questions?

Did you order the dishwasher, or did you find that with the slightly reduced space of the kitchen that you valued the two drawers more?

Roughly how wide is the wardrobe next to that pantry? It looks narrow and one of the thoughts I had was requesting a special to have Newmar install two drawers at the bottom that were the width of the wardrobe and pantry, leaving the top portion the in the same configuration with less height (perhaps turning the remaining wardrobe portion into hanging closet for coats, etc.)

Thank you in advance for your time and responses,

Bill
Bill,

We did order the dw because the DW wanted one! And here's the reason why, our 15 Dutch Star was our last with the euro booth dinette. We found that the booths look good and sound good in theory, but are really not practical in reality for our family of 5. Once everybody is seated it is a real pain if the person closest to the wall needs to get out, which seems to happen all of the time with children. We have found the chairs to be much more practical. Also, the booths go all the way to the wall with no counter (buffet) space available.

In our '16 DS we ordered the combination desk/dinette with roll away table. We LOVED the nearly 18 inch deep buffet area where we kept the coffee maker and toaster, etc. And to your point, the shelves and storage cabinets in the desk below doubled as storage for kitchen items and desk items. The only problem with this configuration is that if the kids have the roll away table pulled out during transit and the coach hits turbulence, the table top has a tendency to snap in. Whatever laptops and/or dishes are on top of it are instantly on the floor. Plus, this option has the unfinished look around the edges due to the fact that it rolls away. It is a edge where you can see the steel assembly. This bothered DW every time she saw it. Lastly, it has a wooden leg on the end which makes it a bit difficult for the person sitting on the end. They would have to straddle this table leg.

For our current coach we have ordered the combo desk with buffet. This option has a more finished look all around. And it doesn't have a leg on the end. I just hope that when the table is pulled out completely it provides enough eating area for 2 people sitting on each side and one on the end.

As far as your question regarding the wardrobe. I do remember that it was a bit narrow but not to the point it was not useful. Far from it. But I'll tell you what did take me by surprise was the depth. I was not expecting that when I opened it. I like your idea for the special. Ask them and see what they say.

Happy shopping!
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thank you very much for those answers!

I'm torn between the buffet and the sofa / euro dinette combo. I like the look of the ensemble look, similar to the high line models, and since the PS sofa is fixed it doesn't seem to matter as much that sofa bed open across the coach. That said I definitely see the convenience of the dinette with chairs. I only have two kids so I don't have to worry about someone sitting at the end.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
Old 07-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am looking forward to reading more on this. We have an 8 and 11 year old and will be making some changes in the next couple years.
jbialy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank you very much for those answers!

I'm torn between the buffet and the sofa / euro dinette combo. I like the look of the ensemble look, similar to the high line models, and since the PS sofa is fixed it doesn't seem to matter as much that sofa bed open across the coach. That said I definitely see the convenience of the dinette with chairs. I only have two kids so I don't have to worry about someone sitting at the end.

Bill

Also interested in this question. Am I right in thinking that one other item in favor of the euro booth dinette (as opposed to chairs) is that kids can sit at the booth during travel to color or have a snack. Seems like it might hard or even impossible to do that with chairs. Is that right? Having lots of kid options during travel makes for a happier ride.

2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1