RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Input on 2001 Newmar Kountry Star needed

Confessing my sins, I have been involved researching motorhomes for three months. My thoughts have always been pre-owned as I want to keep the dollars low. But I have given thought at some point to tag axles, higher end coaches to the middle of the road. I have traveled to Florida, Alabama and the Carolina's to view coaches. But I always come back to wanting a lower price to keep the initial purchase cost low with the thought that if a MH's was not for me, I wouldn't lose too much money hopefully. Tonight, I found a 2001 Newmar Kountry Star 36' coach with only 16000 miles on it. Will need all new tires and batteries. Other wise, I'm told the condition is good and the cosmetics appear to be so. It has a Cummins 260 HP engine which i know is low power but it fits my original intent of a low cost, pretty clean coach. The price is $16K and I have wired a $500 deposit to hold until I can get to the coach. I would appreciate your opinion of several issues: Is the hp too low, even for a newbie that doesn't know how he will use the coach? Is this model coach a reasonably good driving and riding coach? Does a smaller engine mean greater repair cost? Does this sound like a reasonable deal? I willing to lose my deposit if this forum thinks it best. Your thoughts please !

BoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Low mileage doesn't necessarily mean not well lived in. Our coach had only 25k but required pretty extensive renovation in addition to tires and batteries to get it ready to live in. The drivetrain had no issues but it still cost around $15,000 over the purchase price. I still have more stuff I want to do but nothing that prevents us from using it. Everything depends on how you will be using the coach. Cross country trips pulling a toad 260hp will struggle. That doesn't mean its bad as long as your style can tolerate it. Only you can decide what is right for you but I do agree with your decision of a used less expensive unit to learn with.

https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #3

We cross the country once or twice every year in a 35 ft with a 230 horse Cummins from 1994. Realize you won't be the fastest vehicle on the road. You will still get there. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #4

I would have the fluids tested, at a minimum. Do you plan to have the MH inspected prior to purchase? IMO it is a good idea. Check here to find a professional inspector in the area of the MH. https://nrvia.org/locate/ The cost depends on what services you desire.
Traveling in a motorhome is the most expensive method of RVing, but it suits us.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

you don't say, but with the low mileage what was it doing all that time, 19 years. was it in inside storage or was it lived in most of that time, setting outside. all these can drasticly efect the condition inside and out. 19 years is a long time if it wasn't taken care of. its to late but I don't think I would have jumped the gun and sent 500.00 to hold with out seeing it. did you get a bunch of pictures?
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

Rubber components tend to deteriorate over time regardless of mileage.

Watch for water damage.

Power should be fine unless you want to tow something unusual.

Diesel engines can be expensive to service and repair. I expect at that age, you'll need to catch up on a lot of engine, coolant and transmission maintenance.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #7

You don't give any details on the Monaco but you might want to read this.

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/blo...-trailing-arms
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

Your thoughts please, Kountry Star vs Monaco Dynasty

I am considering buying one of two coaches, either of which would be my first motorhome. The first is a Newmar Kountry Star, 2001, cummins 275 hp, 36'. Has 16000 miles, appears to be pretty nice from the photo's and an agreed price of $16k. One slide. It will need new tires and batteries. The second is a Monaco Dynasty Regent, 40' with two slides, cummins 8.3l 350 hp, appears very nice in photo's with 110,000 miles and a price of $27k. No repairs/updates are needed. Questions/comments: Your opinion of the Newmar Kountry Star please? How does it ride and drive with a weight of only 26000 pounds? Is the engine too small? I have no idea how much either will be used or enjoyed. Which would you wise and experienced owners suggest I give more consideration, the Newmar or the Monaco? Above all, I want best value and the best chance to minimize my loss if it doesn't work out. Flying down tomorrow to pick up one on Monday. Thank you much for your help.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BoJo,
I own a 2005 KSDP with 133K miles on it. Bought is new. For me one cannot be the KS. My coach has had routine maintenance. No leaks and paint is in perfect condition. The coach has been outside since it was born. The interior is well done and still in great shape. Like the Energizer Bunny, the coach just keeps on going.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi BoJo,
I own a 2005 KSDP with 133K miles on it. Bought is new. For me one cannot be the KS. My coach has had routine maintenance. No leaks and paint is in perfect condition. The coach has been outside since it was born. The interior is well done and still in great shape. Like the Energizer Bunny, the coach just keeps on going.
Interesting and much appreciated. Are there any short comings of the coach in your opinion. The bath appears small to me as do the tires vs the more conventional coach. Is either of these thoughts true?
Old 02-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #11

Your saying "I have no idea how much either would be used"? Are you saying this is a first ever RV? Or have you owned an RV before? If this is a first ever, all I can say is BAD IDEA!
Spending that much money on a depreciating asset with no idea how much you would use it is pland foolish. RVs, especially motor homes require a lot of maintenance and up keep even if not used. Tires, wash, wax, oil and filter changes just for starters. Diesels really do like to sit for weeks or months at a time. Please reconsider this idea unless you like throwing good money away.
If this really is a first RV purchase, start with something far less cost and start small.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #12

If you have a budget of around 27K, I suggest you look for a 2000 ish Dutch Star 38 ft Diesel Pusher. They have a side radiator and an excellent reputation. I've been told by a person who owned both a Monaco 40' and a Dutch Star 38 that the Dutch Star was far more pleasant to drive. I do not have personal experience with a Monaco, but we have a 3851 DSDP and I love driving it. Side radiator makes engine access excellent. Can't beat the quality of a Newmar Dutch Star for that period and the price range.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #13

BoJo,
Just be careful. Low mileage on an older coach usually means that it has been lived in and not used very much for traveling or just sitting without much use. A sitting coach deteriorates pretty quickly unless it is stored properly. I would hate to see you spend your money and then have to spend thousands to get it back in shape. Don’t get me wrong there are lots of older coaches out there that their owners have taken excellent care of them. Just do your research before making any purchase. Good luck on finding the right coach for you and at a price you are happy with.
JMcG
2016 Ventana 3725
JMcG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Iíve owned two Monacoís and one Dutch Star.

Monaco had an excellent reputation back in the day, and the Dynasty line was among their best. But any Dynasty that is being offered at $27k today is either very old or in overall poor condition. A mid-2000 Dynasty can easily sell for $130k or more today.

I donít have any experience with the older Kountry Star coaches. Newmar discontinued that line about ten years ago and then reintroduced the brand in 2020 to replace the Ventana LE as their entry level DP.

One that is 20 years old could have problems. The fact that it has only 16k miles on the clock is not necessarily a good thing. DPís age better when they get regular use rather than sitting around.

I think you would have better luck with a 2001 to 2005 Dutch Star. If you go for either of these units, be sure to get a third party inspection.

2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote