Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Richard - can you post a pic of your installation?
The dimensions I believe on the Power Master VC 50 are 9" x 5" x 12". (corrected on edit)

Did a quick search and found it at Arizona RV Parts Center for $669.95. Haven't downloaded the manual yet so wondering about brackets and whether it can be mounted horizontally / vertically. I have some room in my bay and just thinking about ability to mount and still have room for my 50 amp extension cord and box of electrical stuff I store there now. Don't want to overcrowd things and looks like this is something I will be adding. Want to do it right.

CampDaven - RV Mutants protect what they have. Looks like my nest egg is going to take a hit before anything else does. And just when I thought my list was nearing the end.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
CampDaven - RV Mutants protect what they have. Looks like my nest egg is going to take a hit before anything else does. And just when I thought my list was nearing the end.
RV Mutants RULE!
I'll be interested in how this goes for you, Steve. My PI EMS will do for now.
Nice to have an RV Mutant that can lead the way for me!
BTW, my list never ends, but this forum helps me revise some of the items on it.
Tomorrow we will follow the weather to Pahrump for a week, then north of SFO.
Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #45

After thousands of days traveling, never had a power problem until we installed the Progressive EMS. It failed after six months. Fortunately I wired it with plug ends so we were quickly able to bypass the EMS until fixed.

Have seen three others that failed without plug ends-not a fun fix!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942
After thousands of days traveling, never had a power problem until we installed the Progressive EMS. It failed after six months. Fortunately I wired it with plug ends so we were quickly able to bypass the EMS until fixed.

Have seen three others that failed without plug ends-not a fun fix!
What was the failure and did PI do the fix. One of the pluses for me is that the current hard wired model has a by-pass switch and the parts are field replaceable.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
The additional posts were nice. They contained information that helped clarify a member's view. I speak only about the Surge Guard products. That is the brand I have. For those who have yet to form a position in this topic, I offer:

1. USA appliances are designed to operate at 120 VAC +/- 10%. That puts the operational range between 108 to 132 VAC.

2. The Surge Guard will cut power to the coach when <102 VAC and >132 VAC is present.

3. Surge Guard Voltage Regulator will regulate VAC +10% when incoming VAC is <110 and >90. >110 or <90 VAC the unit is in bypass mode.

4. At 102 VAC incoming power the regulator is providing the coach 112 VAC. In my setup this is the lowest voltage that will be passed to the coach. The incoming VAC remains within the USA spec.

5. With the regulator first the voltage looks something like this (we'll start at 102 VAC):
Incoming 102 VAC & provided to the coach =112 VAC (per #4)
Incoming 101 VAC & provided to the coach =111
Incoming 100 VAC & provided to the coach =110
Incoming 99 VAC & provided to the coach =109
Incoming 98 VAC & provided to the coach =108
Incoming 97 VAC & provided to the coach =107
Incoming 96 VAC & provided to the coach =106
Incoming 95 VAC & provided to the coach =105
Incoming 94 VAC & provided to the coach =103
Incoming 93 VAC & provided to the coach =102
Incoming 92 VAC & provided to the coach =101 At this point the surge protector would cut power to the coach.

Folks seem to focus on the incoming VAC. What should be the focus is the VAC provided to the coach. With the Surge Protector first, I loose 4 VAC (108 to 112 VAC staying inside USA specs.) of boost capability. For me, I'll stick with the Surge Protector being first.

The important point is does anyone want power <108 VAC coming into their coach? For me, the answer is no.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Back in post #17 Ithrew the flag in for the first half of this thread, well now for the second half of this thread. just my presonal preferance, my Coach and its applanaces will be shut down at 113.5 vac and will not run on that voltage. I will start the gen set and give my stuff the power it is suppose to run on first. ...........
Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Hi palehorse89,
I'm not sure if your post #48 was because of my post #47. If it was, my post was not meant for anyone in particular. At the beginning of my post there is the statement "For those who have yet to form a position in this topic, I offer:". We have members of many different skill levels. After reading all the thread, again, I did not feel the advantage of having the surge protector in front of the voltage regular was well stated. If my post was for the reason for your post, .
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing to do with your post at all Gary as our setups are the same, I totally agree with everything you have posted and said. But my head is getting sore ......... so time to move on
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Richard - can you post a pic of your installation?
I have a few now but need to take a couple more to show the complete setup. I will do that this weekend and get them posted for you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film

I have a few now but need to take a couple more to show the complete setup. I will do that this weekend and get them posted for you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thank you. I almost pulled the trigger on one at Az RV Center today. I know it will fit but trying to visualize it. Going to go and look at the bay again tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #53

Quote:

Thank you. I almost pulled the trigger on one at Az RV Center today. I know it will fit but trying to visualize it. Going to go and look at the bay again tomorrow. Thanks again!
I'm thinkin you are soooo hooked in, you RV Mutant! Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

I'm thinkin you are soooo hooked in, you RV Mutant! Let us know how it goes.
Hey man. How was the drive today? I trust you saw we have till June of next year - actually July 1st 2014 before we hit the road for the long haul. So while the money is coming in, I'm getting things tidy. RV Mutants are tidy and keep their rolling homes ship shape. Lol. You and that extreme email - no PM - are a hoot and a half.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #55

Quote:

Hey man. How was the drive today? I trust you saw we have till June of next year - actually July 1st 2014 before we hit the road for the long haul. So while the money is coming in, I'm getting things tidy. RV Mutants are tidy and keep their rolling homes ship shape. Lol. You and that extreme email - no PM - are a hoot and a half.
I hear ya, pal. I did it at 62.
Today we went on a long slow drive on Christmas Tree Pass near Laughlin NV.
I'll hook up on email with you somehow, you weird, tidy RV Mutant.
Check the pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1121444398.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	650.8 KB
ID:	34971
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-807016966.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	666.4 KB
ID:	34972   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-971690331.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	34973  

Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice! Think about it a minute and add @yahoo.com.