Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Installed Koni Adjustable Shocks on DS

Well I solicited donations from everyone to try/test Road King shocks on my 2014 Dutch Star, but no one sent me any money!

Soooo......I bought some Koni Adjustables for the front. I felt I had some harsh chop on rough roads that could be improved. I played with the air pressure a little and I've gone as low as I dare at 105 psi on the front.

I installed the Koni's last week and took it out this weekend on a 200 mile trip. It would be nice to try them over the same roads I felt that OEMS didn't perform well on, but that wasn't possible.

I wanted FSD's, but Koni said they don't make FSD's for the IFS, but the rear shocks come in FSD's. This was a pretty easy install with a 15/16" socket and air ratchet.

Results - We hit several rough roads on our 200 mile trip and there was some relief. The Koni's reduced the harshness of the chop by about 20%-25%. On my Monaco, the FSD's reduced the chop on the Roadmaster front end by about 80%.

Even though there wasn't the improvement I was looking for, there seemed to be more control in the turns.

All in all, I would suspect most would not feel a $430.00 (two shocks) improvement in their ride. I do get a lot of chop from the rears on rough roads and at some point may try the FSD's on the rear.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #2

I hope you enjoy them and drive safer/better. If that donation thing had worked out, I might have given it a try.

Maybe that's the solution next time I need to "fill her up".
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You been quiet lately...was wondering what you were up to?

Didn't get my check?....must still be in the mail.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

What do you mean you didn't get a money.

I faxed a check.

I may have to try them, who did you order from?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I spoke directly with Justin at Koni and bought through them. Sometimes the odd sizes are hard to find.

I've been quiet because we were gone for two weeks with the coach. I also added two 100 watt solar panels the when I did the shocks. I had a heck of a time finding the end of the pre wire for the solar panels. I finally found it in the power reel bay down behind the power reel. They don't stub off the ground, they connect it to the chassis.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #6

I am having new Bilstein's installed this week. After reading many posts on Shock replacement there were many comments made that favored one or the other. so I decided to not spend the extra $400 for the Koni's.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don,

I would suggest calling Scott Zimmer at Source Engineering in Oregon and talk to him about what you want to accomplish with improving the ride on your new coach.

He is the expert when it comes to ride enhancements on the chassis. They have some excellent innovative technology that may be exactly what you are looking for on your coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
I am having new Bilstein's installed this week. After reading many posts on Shock replacement there were many comments made that favored one or the other. so I decided to not spend the extra $400 for the Koni's.
Our rig came with Bilsteins. The ride was so terrible, after only 700 miles I put Koni FSDs on all four corners. Vast improvement, and worth every penny. The Bilsteins are total worthless junk. Don't waste a dime on them.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, koni, shocks