Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Installing Dirt Devil Central Vac

We ordered our coach without the dirt devil central vac system, and now are rethinking. Has anyone installed a central vac in their coach after it was built? For those with a similar coach (ours is a 2014 DS 4018), where does the hose connection come out in the coach? I'm thinking I will need to at least remove the floor of the 1/2 bath vanity, and drill a hole through the floor there to connect the outlet to the main unit. If I recall, the main unit is mounted on the ceiling of the compartment just in front of the wall separating the compartment from the water/sewage tanks. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but curious how big a task this will be, and if even it might be possible some of the "work" is standard, and might even be done, just concealed from view. Thanks for any and all input!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have installed them in the past motorhomes. The task wasn't difficult but does require drilling through the floor.

The first concern is determining a location and cabinet with a base sufficient to allow you to install the connector. Then locating an electrical outlet from which to power the vacuum.

Once a location is determined for grilling the floor I suggest using a long perhaps quarter inch drill bit to gently drill through the the different subfloor levels. This is the scariest part of the job.

After measuring several times I chose to drill up from the bay into the cabinet. This allowed me to cut the insulation to locate a clear spot to begin drilling.

Once the initial hole is drilled the rest is very straightforward. You will have sufficient hose and wiring length to make your installation easily.

Enjoy!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased our Thor Tuscany with the dirt devil installed. You don't have to go through the floor in the 1/2 bath. Ours is in the sink cabinets base board. Anything that has to come through the floor can be hidden in that cabinet
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours was installed by CW. It fit at the top of one bay under the fridge. Works great. We should have installed the optional Dirt Devil VacPan Auto Dust Pan - great for hard floor dirt pickup without dragging out the hose.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
We ordered our coach without the dirt devil central vac system, and now are rethinking. Has anyone installed a central vac in their coach after it was built? For those with a similar coach (ours is a 2014 DS 4018), where does the hose connection come out in the coach? I'm thinking I will need to at least remove the floor of the 1/2 bath vanity, and drill a hole through the floor there to connect the outlet to the main unit. If I recall, the main unit is mounted on the ceiling of the compartment just in front of the wall separating the compartment from the water/sewage tanks. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but curious how big a task this will be, and if even it might be possible some of the "work" is standard, and might even be done, just concealed from view. Thanks for any and all input!
I put one in my current Winnebago DP. I just mounted it in the cabinet under the sink with a single outlet directly attached. It's not as slick as the multi-outlet, basement installation of the Newmar but MUCH easier. It's centrally located in our floor plan so the standard long hose can reach the entire RV.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys! I didn't realize Newmar's was a multi outlet configuration. I just assumed it was centrally located, and only 1 outlet.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BattChief,

Some of the others may be able to answer this but do you really think you need it? I know the RV is different than the boats but that being said I had one on my last 40' boat and the hose was 20' long so it could get to everything. Wow it was like fighting an Anaconda every time we used it which then limited how much we used it. Storing it was a big problem as well.

We bought a Shark vac for the MH and it does a great job. It stores in the hanging closet with very little trouble.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I like your idea, in my case however, I would like to upgrade my central vac with the new floor dust pan system; you sweep your dirt to the entrance, kick a knob with your foot and now have a dust pan with suction in addition to the door for vacume hose. Does anyone know of an upgrade package and the ease of adding to an already dirt devel central vacume system?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
BattChief,

Some of the others may be able to answer this but do you really think you need it? I know the RV is different than the boats but that being said I had one on my last 40' boat and the hose was 20' long so it could get to everything. Wow it was like fighting an Anaconda every time we used it which then limited how much we used it. Storing it was a big problem as well.

We bought a Shark vac for the MH and it does a great job. It stores in the hanging closet with very little trouble.
I have to disagree with you on that. We love the central vac and wound't be without it. That's why I installed one after having it in our previous unit. I find the hose a lot simpler to store than another vacuum.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Batt,
First look for a central spot that you can get to from above and below, usually in a cabinet base. The vacuum can mount to the ceiling in the bay below it, just make sure you won't be too close to the Oasis. You'll be drilling a few holes, one through the floor for the hose and another one in the cabinet base for the hose connection. The hose connection will be what turns the vacuum on and off. If the electric is in the bay already and you have a cabinet above the installation is straight forward. We store the hose and cleaning heads in the drawer under the couch. Keep us up to speed on how it goes.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #11

I had a central vac in our previous motorhome and decided not to have one in our Ventana. Hauling the hose out of the basement with the extension/attachments etc was such a hassle. For the price you can get a nice Roomba (which we have at home) and a handheld for the odd missed corner.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
Batt,
First look for a central spot that you can get to from above and below, usually in a cabinet base. The vacuum can mount to the ceiling in the bay below it, just make sure you won't be too close to the Oasis. You'll be drilling a few holes, one through the floor for the hose and another one in the cabinet base for the hose connection. The hose connection will be what turns the vacuum on and off. If the electric is in the bay already and you have a cabinet above the installation is straight forward. We store the hose and cleaning heads in the drawer under the couch. Keep us up to speed on how it goes.

If I can install it at the half bath, I hope to be able to remove the bottom of the vanity and drill a hole there, and have access through the wall across the fridge. Otherwise, I'm not sure where I might have access to the basement where there is no tile. I don't think electric will be an issue.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I had a central vac in our previous motorhome and decided not to have one in our Ventana. Hauling the hose out of the basement with the extension/attachments etc was such a hassle. For the price you can get a nice Roomba (which we have at home) and a handheld for the odd missed corner.

According to the dirt devil website, the hose is 35' fully extended, but only 7' when collapsed. Storage inside shouldn't be an issue. We sweep the floor before retracting the slides every time to avoid any grit marring the tile floor. I think a vacuum with a brush would clean the floor more effectively than even a broom. A typical vacuum for carpet doesn't work well on hard floors at all.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
If I can install it at the half bath, I hope to be able to remove the bottom of the vanity and drill a hole there, and have access through the wall across the fridge. Otherwise, I'm not sure where I might have access to the basement where there is no tile. I don't think electric will be an issue.
I'd think that would be your best bet so you don't have to worry about the hose catching on a slide. I hope you don't have to remove the vanity I would see if the base of the inside of the cabinet can be pulled up, then you'd have access without removing the entire vanity.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install