Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Installing rear ladder on 2015+ DP

When I ordered my 2015 4018 DS Newmar told me it couldn't be done due to the Garard Awning raised trim across the back end and the way the engine compartment door raised.

However today an 43' American Eagle came into the campground with a rear ladder on it that arched enough to reach over the rear air foil looking trim and it stopped coming down the back soon enough to allow the engine door to still be raised. It sure looked like that shape of ladder would fit the rear of a Newmar DP, and with the folding 6' ladder I carry anyway for windshield cleaning the lower end of the attached ladder could easily be reached without any kind of extension (which this Eagle carried in the engine compartment).

Has anyone ever had an RV shop install an aftermarket rear ladder on their Newmar? I'm assuming a Newmar dealership wouldn't do this since the factory won't. I've always had a rear ladder ever since starting to RV back in 1987 and kind of feel helpless not being able to reach the roof while on the road. Have a good 24' extension ladder at home to use there but doesn't help much while on vacation in case of emergency reason to reach something on the roof.

I know there are collaspable ladders that would reach (assuming there was room in a storage compartment, which there doesn't seem to be) but it would be so much easier/cleaner/simplier to have the rear ladder.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig doesn't have a ladder either so I bought one of the 15.5 extendable ones from Home Depot. I like the idea of a ladder attached but I like the looks of a MH without it. But that also leaves a problem of where to attach my FMCA and Good Sam Lifetime goose eggs!
I found that there is room for the ladder between the bay slideout tray and the interior wall. I think I need to clip it to the wall somehow too.
I could probably get by with the 14' one rather than the taller one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

I am with WM2. I'm not going up there without something firmly attached to the coach so I am interested in the replies here.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:02 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe the older rigs that came with a rear ladder had reinforcement on the inside of the rear cap so the ladder could be securely attached.

Attaching a ladder to an unreinforced rear cap doesn't sound like it would be safe.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I totally agree with O.P. and so I had a ladder added to my Entegra Anthem when I bought it. The ladder was supplied by Entegra and does go up and over the awning rails. But Entegra had added reinforcement behind the rear cap to provide support for the ladder, and starting in 2016 they no longer do that, so I doubt it would be possible on a 2016 Entegra. You should ask Newmar if there is ladder support on your 2015 DS. If so, I am sure that a ladder can be found to fit it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:19 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Ladder looks like this? RV Parts AMERICAN EAGLE RV MOTORHOME PARTS DEALER 2003 Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | RV JUNK YARD USED RV SALVAGE PARTS FLEETWOOD | visonerv.com
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 AM   #7

We have not considered installing an after market rear ladder, we use a collapsible ladder that when fully extended works great. It stows easily and is rated to hold 275 - 300 pounds.
All the best

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The problem here is that ladder adds 6" or more to the height. My 2015 DS is 12"8" to the top of the TV dome which is the highest point. So another 6" or 8" above the cap put's it at +13' 4". Asking for trouble.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe there are 2 factors relevant here.

1. I believe that this issue is covered by safety and design criteria based on RVIA requirements for sufficient rise of the ladder top hand rails over the landing platform. In other words, it needs to be high enough to give support as you step off the top rung onto the roof or in the case of the rear trim, OVER that trim.

2. To meet this requirements of stepping over the rear trim it would cause the coach's measured height to be excessive.

This was the explanation I got from someone at Newmar during a tour.

Looking at the picture of the American Coach I'm wondering how someone could safely get their feet over the rear trim and still be holding on to something to steady themselves. That doesn't even address proper reenforcement to attach the ladder in the first place.

Unfortunately, I don't see an answer coming out soon but I think there could be one if they tried. Perhaps a ladder mounted to the rear that looked like the ones we are used to but could be telescoped when needed. Of course, the users would be responsible to lower the telescoping extension when the go down. OH BOY...that opens a can of worms.

Perhaps another solution would be a removable section of trim that could be easily moved out of the way (slide to the side?) for roof access. It would need to be easily done by one hand since the other better be holding the ladder. Another can of worms?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #10

Tiffin still offer a roof ladder option on the Allegro Bus.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't see the issue. Yes, my coach has a ladder, but I've only used it once in 18 months and really didn't like climbing it, especially as you get older. I use a large step ladder when at home. "Sky Boss" brings up a very important issue, the height of the arc over the top to meet legal standards. I don't think climbing a 13' vertical ladder (no angle to it like a step ladder) is a safe idea for anyone 60 plus years old, including me.

Allen.....why can't you use this ladder to service your roof on the road. A foam pad at the top to protect the coach and you would have a ladder, that would give you additional height to more securely step onto the roof. It would definitely fit in your storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-78...apsible+Ladder
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #12

That's the one we use except we use the one with the 275 - 300 pound weight rating. Very functional and easy to handle!!

All the best to you all,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone used the extendable ladders and what size and brand would you suggest? What experiences have you had and how do you protect the coach from being scratched? Is the 15.5' ladder long enough to comfortably climb onto the roof of a motorhome with the roof rails? Please reply from experience....😊
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #14

Didn't figure I could find room to store an extendable ladder in an outside compartment since I'm still trying to find room for all the stuff I had been carrying in my previous 36' motor home and all the slide-out trays are full right now. Have at least 3 deep plastic storage boxes in the garage with things I normally carried that I can't find room for in the DS.

The description of the Extend-Climb ladder says it collapses to 36 1/2 " but doesn't tell how wide it is.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install