Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Insulation?

Have been doing my research for a Class A Gas MH. Have been reading lots and lots forum posts.

My question is: Why do Newmar MH still use batten insulation or have the changed that?

To me it seems outdated if they do?

They seem, from reading the forums and watching videos, they are one of my top 3. The other two are Tiffin and Winnebago.
lars36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What do you think they should use?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

If insulation is a "hot button" issue for you... I would strongly suggest you investigate/research Entegra's. I believe they have some of the best insulation packages available.

Good Luck !!

NOTE: If insulation is a "hot button" issue, I'd re-evaluate WBGO being on that list.. and this is from a WBGO owner.
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
If you want a warm coach in the winter and a cool one in the summer you want a Newmar.
This link will get you to the 2017's and many other answers you may need.
All the coach's are built the same only higher end the parts will be more expensive.
Below in my signature are links that will be related to any coach your may want.
In QT's # 3 read the HOOT members links and find more than enough info to satisfy you.
Enjoy the forum and good luck in your choice.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lars36 View Post
,,, My question is: Why do Newmar MH still use batten insulation or have the changed that? To me it seems outdated if they do?,,,
It works, easy to install, low cost, minimal clean up, no special equipment, no special training, low level hazmat to take care of, doesn't burn, no set time, minimal if any out gassing,,,,
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

I would use this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
What do you think they should use?

Structural Insulated Panels

Structural insulated panels (SIPs) are prefabricated insulated structural elements for use in building walls, ceilings, floors, and roofs. They provide superior and uniform insulation compared to more traditional construction methods (stud or "stick frame"), offering energy savings of 12% to 14%. When installed properly, SIPs also result in a more airtight dwelling, which makes a house quieter and more comfortable.
SIPs not only have high R-values but also high strength-to-weight ratios. A SIP typically consists of 4- to 8-inch-thick foam board insulation sandwiched between two sheets of oriented strand board (OSB) or other structural facing materials. Manufacturers can usually customize the exterior and interior sheathing materials to meet customer requirements. The facing is glued to the foam core, and the panel is then either pressed or placed in a vacuum to bond the sheathing and core together.
lars36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Might work if motorhome walls were 8" thick but they are only about 2". My previous motorhome had foam insulation vacuum bonded to the walls but the advantage was somewhat lost by the large windows that let in a lot of heat. The difference I notice is how much quieter the Newmar is. Solid foam sheeting conducts noise very easily. Yes, fiberglass batten insulation is "old school", but so is a wooden chassis, and Morgan still makes cars using those.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe out of the price range for Newmar coach never was cold during winter camping or hot during the summer months, good luck in your hunting.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
dms

If you're concerned about insulation, nix Tiffin. Take it from one with experience (me), Tiffin has NO insulation in the front cap and minimal R-value in walls compared to Newmar. Had a 40' Tiffin w/3 AC's and they ran continuously in 90 degree weather. Now have a 45' Newmar and they only run intermittently as they should in 90 degree weather. Noise factor in the Newmar is 90% less. Tiffins ac units are so loud, we had CG neighbors complain. You can't even hear the Newmar units running from outside.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #10

Coaches with laminated walls have an R value of around R-7, with the exception of Winne. Theirs are around an R-4.

Nobody builds RVs with SIP panels.

Newmar (R-11) and Entegra (R-15) both use fiberglass batten insulation, with Entegra also adding a layer of foil.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #11
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't worriy about the "old school" insulation on a Newmar. So far we have been in 110 degree weather and the AC keep the coach at 70 degrees (we ONLY have 2 ACs in out 38'). Will be in Colorado/Nebraska in December so will be able to report how our Newmar does in the cold.

We used to own a class C that was insulated like a Newmar with the same R values. Spent a Christmas in that coach in -17 degree weather. Kept nice and warm. Yes we did use vent covers and a blanket to isolate the front cab.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
If insulation is a "hot button" issue for you... I would strongly suggest you investigate/research Entegra's. I believe they have some of the best insulation packages available.
But it is built by Jayco. I had a Jayco MH with great insulation specs also. But the "Amish Craftsmen" did not bother to put any insulation in one wall.
Insulation is as much about the quality of installation as it is the spec.

Good Luck
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lars36 View Post
Structural Insulated Panels

Structural insulated panels (SIPs) are prefabricated insulated structural elements for use in building walls, ceilings, floors, and roofs. They provide superior and uniform insulation compared to more traditional construction methods (stud or "stick frame"), offering energy savings of 12% to 14%. When installed properly, SIPs also result in a more airtight dwelling, which makes a house quieter and more comfortable.
SIPs not only have high R-values but also high strength-to-weight ratios. A SIP typically consists of 4- to 8-inch-thick foam board insulation sandwiched between two sheets of oriented strand board (OSB) or other structural facing materials. Manufacturers can usually customize the exterior and interior sheathing materials to meet customer requirements. The facing is glued to the foam core, and the panel is then either pressed or placed in a vacuum to bond the sheathing and core together.
My best guess on why SIPs are not used, is the word "house" in the quote above.
A motor home, (much as we cherish them) is not a house. Solid insulation transmits sound easily, is not as easily engineered to respond to the flex required in a motor home, and very likely are not going to be "installed properly".
From a personal perspective, my Newmar is so far superior to my previous MH in every respect (including insulation) that it ins't even a discussion.

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So what you are suggesting is that Newmar ought to go to a laminated wall construction. Many RV manufacturers are already doing this, and a great many of the vehicles eventually encounter wall delamination problems when leaks occur after a few years of body flexing and not quite so diligent maintenance.
My 14 y/o Newmar is toasty warm in winter and comfy cool in summer. Newmar has spent near 50 years figuring the best way to build a motorhome. When and if there is a valid reason to completely change their manufacturing process I'm sure they will consider it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote