Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #1

Interested in Going

Hi All,

I am interested in taking a trip to Banff next summer. I have just purchased a 2019 Mountain Aire 4551 and am really excited to get going! Anyone have any comments or suggestions or tips on a trip like this? Any information that you could provide would be welcome. I would be leaving from the east coast.

Thanks!
almostready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #2

The biggest tip I can give you is don't get in a hurry, it's a beautiful part of the continent. However if your on a schedule (read on vacation), the no hurry thing may not be an option. In any case it's been a long time since I've been there but Lake Louise and the lodge there are pretty much don't miss items. Depending upon your choice of activities there is hiking, fishing, and pretty much any other type of outdoor activity in the area. If you interests run to more sedate pursuits there's always the shopping and sight seeing opportunities. Have fun, it's a great area.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Great advice from Arcaguy; allow plenty of time to see the area. And, though you mention Banff, don't miss the nearby Glacier National Park on the US side.

Lots to see in this part of the world.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you! I am pretty excited to start planing this trip! Any recommendations on places to stay with a 45 footer?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #5

Finding a way to see Glacier National park would be great. Also, Waterton Park on the Canadian side. The icefields parkway between Banff and Jasper is well worth the time & mileage. https://icefieldsparkway.com/ Lake Louise is on this route and well worth a stop but the parking lots fill early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostready View Post
Hi All,

I am interested in taking a trip to Banff next summer. I have just purchased a 2019 Mountain Aire 4551 and am really excited to get going! Anyone have any comments or suggestions or tips on a trip like this? Any information that you could provide would be welcome. I would be leaving from the east coast.

Thanks!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Thanks to both of you! I am pretty excited to start planing this trip! Any recommendations on places to stay with a 45 footer?

Thanks!
Not sure about the Banff area, but there's a very nice Motor Coach Resort in Polson, Montana, that would put you about an hour away from Glacier NP. It also sits close to scenic Flathead Lake and is less than an hour away from the National Bison Reserve; an interesting day trip. It is the Polson Motor Coach Resort and easily accommodates 45' coaches.

Full disclosure: we own a lot at PMCR, so should be considered a bit biased. A number of other forum members have stayed here and can give a more objective review.

There are several other RV parks near Glacier NP as well. Do a quick internet search for "RV parks near Glacier NP."

Wherever you decide to stay, make reservations early. This is a very popular area and parks fill up quickly during the prime summer season.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Second the motor coach park at Polson, Mt. Beautiful sites, nice folks and a neat town. If you go in August fresh cherries are abundant on the east side of the lake.
We stayed in site 217 at the Banff NP Trailer Court park in a 45 footer. Easy in and out, you can walk downhill into town but back uphill is strenuous. Don’t miss the Athabasca falls and glacier. Saw lots of bears, elk, and mountain goats. Take the scenic route between Banff and Lake Louise rather than the freeway ( in your toad) for wildlife viewing at dusk.
soundsuperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Forgot to mention, Canada parks reservations open January 2 and fill up FAST.
The park nearest Jasper was closed this year for renovations. No other big rig sites are close. We stayed 50minutes away in a KOA in Hinton, Alberta.
soundsuperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a KOA at the west end of Glacier National Park that is beautiful and well laid out, especially for big rigs. It's not only the nicest KOA we've been to, but one of the nicest parks we've been to. It was on the cover of the 2018 KOA magazine. It's well positioned for seeing Glacier National Park and Road to the Sun.

Lake Louise is beautiful to see and a place you need to include in your trip. Plan a day at Lake Louise.

When we last went to Banff, we took the trip to see the Athabasca Glacier. We actually took a huge monster truck type bus up the Glacier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabasca_Glacier

DON'T make this a whirlwind trip. Canada has some beautiful parks and this can be a really memorable trip.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
North American RV Park is 6 miles from west glacier, and they are adding 50 new pull thru sites (75-100ft) that will be open next year.

The KOA is also very nice.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

Not sure of your route, but on your way there or back.....
http://stateparks.mt.gov/lewis-and-clark-caverns/
Old 09-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

Great trip, hope you have lots of time because there’s lots to see.
Kananaskis area is beautiful as well, Waterton National park, could also be on your way.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:22 AM   #13

We were just in Banff this past August. We stayed in the Canadian National Park at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Park, full hookups and some sites were sat friendly. Book early as they do fill up early. I think the window opens very early in the year and we even set an alarm to wake up so we could go online just after midnight their time. I am not a KOA fan but I will admit the KOA in West Glacier is very nice and the KOA in St. Mary on East side is good also. We have stayed in both. If hiking is your thing, staying in St. Mary is where to be when visiting Glacier NP.

Now back to Banff. Yes, Lake Louise and Lake Morraine are beautiful but very crowded, start early, read 6am. We hiked to the tea house located on the Plain of six glaciers trail. If you like to kyayk, you cannot beat Two Jack Lake just 10 minutes north of Banff. Be sure to drive Bow Valley Parkway for wildlife and hike the Johnston Falls trail just off the parkway. Plenty to do in Banff, Jasper, and Glacier. We stayed a week in each and could have spent another in Banff and Glacier. Have fun, we will be back.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #14

Thanks to all for the great information. I will keep you all posted of ouir progress!