RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting new floor plans

Was looking at the 2017 build sheets on Newmar's website (posted today for those who have not looked). I'm picking up a VTDP 3725 in June. I understand 2016 is the first year for this floor plan. Well, it appears it's the last year also. 2017 has only 2 38' VTDP neather of which are 3725s. So I guess I have a unique Ventana. Not only is it a limited addition, but the only all electric one ever made. What they have appeared to have done with the rear bedroom floorplans is to make all of them (except the 4022) with walk through baths.

JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Where on the website did you find the new 2017 floor plans? I only see 2016's.

MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

You are fortunate to get a custom built VTDP 3725. We missed the window, and now see that in under 40-ft models for 2017 Newmar has reduced the all-electric offerings and other things that made 2016 appealing.

We want under 40-feet for various reasons, starting with avoiding the onerous California laws that apply to anything over 40'0" bumper-to-bumper, both drivers and roads (the reason folks we know with longer rigs try to avoid even driving in California).

For us, 35 to 39 feet is plenty of coach, IF the floorplan and features are good. This is where Newmar 2017 has let us down. Why offer all-electric in a DSDP 34 model, but NOT in the brand new DSDP 3724 and twin VTDP 3724?

Is there hope? Has anyone ever seen Newmar do notable changes in a new model after they announce it? Like how DSDP 3724 needs a fix for the Hello World toilet that just sits in the open hallway, and adding all-electric that is in other 37 and 34 models (implying coach length is not a factor).

Even with Tiffin's issues, they have (for us) better floorplans and features in their under-40 models, such as All-Electric Phateon 36G or Bus 37AP. Don't want to go there, but where else?
travelhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
www.newmarcorp.com/dealer-resources
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Travelhawk, what I found was that coaches that do not have an all electric option have all the piece parts as options. You just have to order more than one option. The folks at Newmar were absolutely great helping me but together an all electric coach. I have never dealed with a company that worked so hard to build a custom coach.

I too wonder about the new floor plans. If they are based on user input, then good. I know my tastes are not represented in the current offerings. Seems like Newmar is focusing on large/young families. I'm not sure there are many young families that can afford a $600,000 motorhome.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #6

Good suggestion, which I didn't get from the dealers I'm talking with. I have assumed that the Order Form lists ALL the major options, and All Electric seems to be one -- given that it is an explicit option for some models, carries a hefty price, and materially changes the coach. But, worth asking about.

As to who Newmar is targeting, I wonder too. I can't overlook that that their presumed closest competitor, Tiffin, is moving toward more/most models being all-electric, which is somewhat opposite of Newmar. Tiffin was already ahead in the home electronics aspect such as HD from a central receiver to all TVs, offering as standard what Newmar listed as a high-priced option until 2017 (and it's not yet clear whether Newmar is doing this the right way).

I have no skin in the game with either firm yet, but want to, very soon, now frustrated because I assumed products would evolve in a reasonably straight line, not sometimes jump sideways and backwards.

Tiffin doesn't announce new models until July-August, so I guess I need to wait.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Tifftin makes some nice coaches. The drive is what sold me on Newmar. We don't sit still much so the way a coach drives is important to us. So comfort drive won for us.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

I'm a driver too, don't sit around admiring the coach's decor. And I keep hearing that Comfort Drive is a Big Thing, can't say it's not, but none of my test drives have shown me any benefit, possibly because it was not windy, etc. So, I don't know how much weight to give it, compared with other chassis and floorplan factors.

(I'm not gonna wait, but I've been told Newmar's special right to the technology it calls Comfort Drive expires in a year or so. It will be interesting to see which competitors eventually offer it.)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhawk View Post
I'm a driver too, don't sit around admiring the coach's decor. And I keep hearing that Comfort Drive is a Big Thing, can't say it's not, but none of my test drives have shown me any benefit, possibly because it was not windy, etc. So, I don't know how much weight to give it, compared with other chassis and floorplan factors.

(I'm not gonna wait, but I've been told Newmar's special right to the technology it calls Comfort Drive expires in a year or so. It will be interesting to see which competitors eventually offer it.)
I read in another thread that it expired last year in Oct., other vendors had 30 days to sign up for it, afterwards, Newmar could then get another exclusivity to the technology. The post stated no one else signed up for it and Newmar renewed their contract.

It's also pretty commonly noted that CD doesn't provide immediate benefits, but benefits you after hours of driving in windy conditions.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Travelhawk,

I have noticed that manufacturers sometimes borrow an idea from their past and resurrect it, actually I notice that a lot. I haven't had time to look at the new floorplans just yet. But I've noticed the mention of the "hello world" toilet that's being used (in a 2017 floorplan) a couple times here.

Below are a couple pics of a 1998 Kountry Star for sale. I think it's a 27 footer, cute little coach. Check out the walk thru bathroom. I don't know if it's similar to the new floorplan, but it seems kind of open-ish . Of course with this small coach, not much of a choice without a much smaller shower which might not have been feasible either at that time. Just shut the door I guess. Anyway, just thought I'd share this.

Best regards,
W.D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	570908122f068214616c7abb.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	124054   Click image for larger version

Name:	570908162f068214616c7ace.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	124055  

Electra 225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #11

Yep, that older-rig hallway toilet is essentially the same as the new DSDP 3724. It's an odd floorplan At first it seems like Newmar is copying Tiffin 36G by putting double sinks in the hall opposite the toilet/shower...but not noticing that Tiffin has the toilet/shower (and a small third sink) within an actual wall and door, so the hall can remain open while the door is closed. Seems like a simple concept, so I'd really like to know why Newmar thinks otherwise.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhawk View Post
Yep, that older-rig hallway toilet is essentially the same as the new DSDP 3724. It's an odd floorplan At first it seems like Newmar is copying Tiffin 36G by putting double sinks in the hall opposite the toilet/shower...but not noticing that Tiffin has the toilet/shower (and a small third sink) within an actual wall and door, so the hall can remain open while the door is closed. Seems like a simple concept, so I'd really like to know why Newmar thinks otherwise.

Well I'll be darn.....that is a bit odd isn't it. Especially in a Dutch Star. I mean, it makes some sense in that old Kountry Star, as with that coach there's no more than two people in it. That is if sanity is something wished to be kept. So, that idea works for that little rig, but a Dutch Star? It seems mis-placed doesn't it?

W.D.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #13

Attached is 2017 DSDP 3724 floorplan presented at Orlando meeting (from a friendly dealer who was there). Apparently it's also floorplan of VTDP 3724.

First there's the goofy exposed toilet. For privacy, two doors can be closed but they entirely block the hall between living and bed rooms "for the duration". Not desirable, and not necessary in Tiffin implementation.

The front space is notably less than same-length Tiffin 36GH, which has choice of dinette types, and sofa, and recliner, and even fireplace. Downright homey. Not precisely the same length, chassis, etc, but Tiffin has an actual living room feel, Newmar seems like furniture in a hallway. Wish I could step inside to see it for real.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS 3724 IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	124057  
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #14
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I see.....well, at least it does appear you are sitting behind a wall. Wonder if the pocket door/s lock?

The living room/dining room does appear a little small compared to what's typical for Newmar.

Yes, very true, the real test is stepping inside.