Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #1

Interior step cover actuator

2000 Dutch Star. Like many other NEWMAR owners, I am having trouble with the linear actuator that lifts the step cover. Although I have pulled it loose from its mounting and unscrewed it from the step, it looks intact. I have traced the wiring and attempted to find a fuse, breaker or relay that would protect the motor but couldn't find one.

Does anyone know if these units are hard wired or is there a fuse I can check before I attempt to replace the unit. Also how do you remove the housing it is mounted inside of.

Thanks for you assistance.
wheelsturnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
wheels...I have a 15 amp fuse labeled step cover (f24) located in the bedroom fuse panel. I think Newmar also put this panel in the bathroom. This is the only fuse that I know of. Hope this helps.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #3

To my surprise, I looked up and down my rig, inside and out. I traced the wires into the firewall and I even pulled out the dash control panel, nothing.

After searching this cite and many others, nobody had the correct location. Be the genius I am, I finally contacted Newmar's owner assistance. After a few days they responded and there it was. The F24 fuse was in a different location. It was inside the dash directly behind the dash instruments on a separate fuse board. You access this through what looks like a airbag cover on top of the dash. I never thought to try to remove it because it is held in place by Velcro tabs, no screws. Who knew! The fuse is replaced, the step cover actuator works and know I just need to rebuild the mounting block and put improved swivel brackets for the actuator. Next Saturday, I have my project. Long story short, call/email the manufacturer's help line first.

Once again, thanks to all you folk's for your great assistance.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you had a Workhorse chassis the fuse panels would look something like this behind that panel.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsturnin View Post
To my surprise, I looked up and down my rig, inside and out. I traced the wires into the firewall and I even pulled out the dash control panel, nothing.

After searching this cite and many others, nobody had the correct location. Be the genius I am, I finally contacted Newmar's owner assistance. After a few days they responded and there it was. The F24 fuse was in a different location. It was inside the dash directly behind the dash instruments on a separate fuse board. You access this through what looks like a airbag cover on top of the dash. I never thought to try to remove it because it is held in place by Velcro tabs, no screws. Who knew! The fuse is replaced, the step cover actuator works and know I just need to rebuild the mounting block and put improved swivel brackets for the actuator. Next Saturday, I have my project. Long story short, call/email the manufacturer's help line first.

Once again, thanks to all you folk's for your great assistance.
Glad to hear Newmar came through again. If you have the actuator out anyway, take a look at the addition I made to mine to prevent the screws in the housing from stripping away when you put too much weight on the step when it is up. Simple but effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3734.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	55290  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #6

My set up is quite different form yours, your a little newer and bigger. My actuator was mounted on poorly designed brackets that allowed the actuator to rock on a shaft allowing self alignment while in operation. I intend to use a reinforced mounts and build up the base it is mounted on. No cutting corners here. Do it right once! I will try to remember to take a picture or two before I get it done.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #7

Step Cover

I have a question how about the little roller that runs in the side track mine needs to be replaced , can you buy one or do you need to just hand make a new one the roller for mine is completely missing . Gmann Thanks
Gmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #8

I hadn't planned to replace mine, it just so happened I was moving my rolling top desk in may study and had to take out the computer/writing table. It has a roller and track that look suspiciously similar. Remember, the step cover isn't meant to support more than 125lbs. I would try anyplace that sells furniture hardware, it may just be a upgraded version, or as I recently found helpful, contact your friendly coach builder. Newmar is batting 1000 so far. My coach is a 2000 Dutch Star 3856 DP and they still have complete records for it. It may take them two or three days to respond but they do. Go Newmar!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #9

You know I ordered the replacement parts from Newmar and installed them but now I see that the cover is a joke if anyone was to step on it like my 60lb grandson it will collapse what a bad design but I dont see anyway to make it better it needs some kind of center support any ideas ?
Gmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmann View Post
You know I ordered the replacement parts from Newmar and installed them but now I see that the cover is a joke if anyone was to step on it like my 60lb grandson it will collapse what a bad design but I dont see anyway to make it better it needs some kind of center support any ideas ?
Thought I read where Dutch Star Don put bigger screws in it to beef it up.
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #11

Step cover actuator

I finally finished fixing my step cover actuator. It turns out the actuator worked fine. I blew a fuse by not operating it properly and the last owner jerry rigged a bad fix. The biggest problem was finding out how to get the cover off, screws under the carpet.

Here are some photo's of how I did it, nothing fancy. If anyone needs any help, I will reply. Pretty simple fix, just a pain in my back side! Sorry, I couldn't get my photo's to upload. I'll try again later.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #12

Where are the pictures? I would like to take mine apart & check it (2006 KSDP).

Thanks
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #13

Late night post, I will put them up later today. I found several design changes between models.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #14

Having trouble attaching photos, can anyone provide some tips