Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Intermittent Electric Slide Out Issues - 2021 VTDP 3412

My driver's side electric sofa slide out (not full wall) will not operate at times - very finicky. Batteries fully charged and on shore power. I will hear a click from underneath - assuming it is the motor - then nothing. This one is on a 15 amp limit controller.

Sometimes, I will press the switch in the direction that the slide is already in - get a click, release the switch and then it works the other way/the way I need it to go. Another time, I moved that slide's connections to a higher amp limit controller and it worked - tried that another time and it did not work. And a couple of other times, it will just work after a few minutes of doing nothing.

Newmar is telling me that if it was the motor or the controller, it would not work at all. Last I spoke to them, they suspected a loose wire. I have checked and do not find any bad connections at the controller or the motor.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated!
__________________
______________________
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412
2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19FBS
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 5,294
I had a slide (same one actually) that acted pretty much the same and it was the controller. So the theory that if it was the controller it wouldn't do anything is not correct. They had a new controller that superseded mine and I installed it and that was the end of the problem. Being a 2021 Im sure yours has the current controller, but it does sound like its just limiting out. Odd though that swapping it with a working one worked and then didn't, but Im assuming that the other controller functions correctly on a different slide?

If its like mine, that is a heavy slide and has to climb a ramp to close. When mine started to fail, I could physically assist it from outside by pushing on it, while it was being operated from the inside, to overcome the fault. You might try that if its applicable and that will tell you its the controller limiting out. They are adjustable but I don't recall the procedure - others here will.

The other possibility, strictly from an electro-mechanical perspective is a dead spot in the motor but I think that is a lot less likely and I haven't heard of that with these slides.
__________________
Rich and Terry - Ventana 3427 with HWH Active Air, 1575w solar; 2001 Jeep toad.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I had a slide (same one actually) that acted pretty much the same and it was the controller. So the theory that if it was the controller it wouldn't do anything is not correct. They had a new controller that superseded mine and I installed it and that was the end of the problem. Being a 2021 Im sure yours has the current controller, but it does sound like its just limiting out. Odd though that swapping it with a working one worked and then didn't, but Im assuming that the other controller functions correctly on a different slide?

If its like mine, that is a heavy slide and has to climb a ramp to close. When mine started to fail, I could physically assist it from outside by pushing on it, while it was being operated from the inside, to overcome the fault. You might try that if its applicable and that will tell you its the control limiting out. They are adjustable but I don't recall the procedure - others here will.

The other possibility, strictly from an electro-mechanical perspective is a dead spot in the motor but I think that is a lot less likely and I haven't heard of that with these slides.
Appreciate it. I am trying a few different things today and will report back. I do see some relays mounted near the motor that appear to run between the switches and the controllers - pic attached. I may try to swap these to see if it runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Switch Relays.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	347170  
__________________
______________________
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412
2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19FBS
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
wildtoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,794
Call Newmar again and ask how to reset the controller into learn mode. As I remember once in learn mode you will run the slide in a couple of times as it learns how much power is required to extend/retract the slide. Also ask them if you do in fact have the latest controller.
__________________
Tom Wilds

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
I sent a note off to Klauber Gear, as they were extremely helpful when I had a general question about the slide controllers.

Interestingly, I moved this slide / motor to the higher amp controller, and it did not help. However, when I plugged it back into the 15 amp controller, it started working again...
__________________
______________________
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412
2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19FBS
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
hattitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I sent a note off to Klauber Gear, as they were extremely helpful when I had a general question about the slide controllers.

Interestingly, I moved this slide / motor to the higher amp controller, and it did not help. However, when I plugged it back into the 15 amp controller, it started working again...
I offer this as a possibility only....

On my Canyon Star, I have the "power incline adjustable base" option. It slides the entire bed base towards the wall, and as it moves, the head of the bed raises up to just about vertical.

This option is powered by a strong 12V motor, uses a wall switch, but is handled by a controller. When I was having issues with it, I found the controller is designed/used on some wall slides.

Here's a pic of the controller used on my sliding bed:



There is a quirk with that controller, that you may be running into with your controller.

It has a jog feature. If you get close to a limit, and stop short, then try to move it in a small increment, it goes into jog mode.. It will only move like a fraction of an inch at a time, until you hold the switch in the opposite direction for a certain amount of time. I believe it was like 5 seconds.

My bed stalled in the up position a few times, and then using directions I found online to get it out of the "jog mode" worked a couple times...

One time, it just died in the "up" position. The procedure for getting out of jog mode, didn't work.. Pushing the switch in either direction gave me only a click, and no movement at all..

After sleeping on the couch one night... the next day I pulled the connector off the controller. I checked the power at the connector and checked the switch leads. The connection had power and the switch appeared to be working properly. It was disconnected for about 30 minutes. I reconnected it and it has been working without issue since.... I'm guessing it did a reset type thing.

So based on my experience, contrary to what Newmar said, I'm gonna guess it could be a controller glitch, or worse.....

My suggestion is to look up your controller on the internet to see if yours has a jog mode, and try that. If that doesn't work, disconnecting the controller as a reset, worked on mine.

I have no confidence in the bed slide now, but need to put it up and down so my Great Danes can get into and out of the garage area. I recently ordered another controller online to have as a spare, in case it stuck again and the "reset" doesn't work.

Good luck with your slide ..
__________________
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3920
hattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
I offer this as a possibility only....

On my Canyon Star, I have the "power incline adjustable base" option. It slides the entire bed base towards the wall, and as it moves, the head of the bed raises up to just about vertical.

This option is powered by a strong 12V motor, uses a wall switch, but is handled by a controller. When I was having issues with it, I found the controller is designed/used on some wall slides.

Here's a pic of the controller used on my sliding bed:



There is a quirk with that controller, that you may be running into with your controller.

It has a jog feature. If you get close to a limit, and stop short, then try to move it in a small increment, it goes into jog mode.. It will only move like a fraction of an inch at a time, until you hold the switch in the opposite direction for a certain amount of time. I believe it was like 5 seconds.

My bed stalled in the up position a few times, and then using directions I found online to get it out of the "jog mode" worked a couple times...

One time, it just died in the "up" position. The procedure for getting out of jog mode, didn't work.. Pushing the switch in either direction gave me only a click, and no movement at all..

After sleeping on the couch one night... the next day I pulled the connector off the controller. I checked the power at the connector and checked the switch leads. The connection had power and the switch appeared to be working properly. It was disconnected for about 30 minutes. I reconnected it and it has been working without issue since.... I'm guessing it did a reset type thing.

So based on my experience, contrary to what Newmar said, I'm gonna guess it could be a controller glitch, or worse.....

My suggestion is to look up your controller on the internet to see if yours has a jog mode, and try that. If that doesn't work, disconnecting the controller as a reset, worked on mine.

I have no confidence in the bed slide now, but need to put it up and down so my Great Danes can get into and out of the garage area. I recently ordered another controller online to have as a spare, in case it stuck again and the "reset" doesn't work.

Good luck with your slide ..
Thanks for the info. I will try to hold the button longer next time, but I had my wife hold it for several seconds while I was checking voltage at different points and looking at the controller (pic attached - upper left is the problem child) to see what it showed. Ultimately, it was switching the controller back and forth that got it to work. Head scratcher for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Controllers.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	347207  
__________________
______________________
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412
2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19FBS
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
hattitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Thanks for the info. I will try to hold the button longer next time, but I had my wife hold it for several seconds while I was checking voltage at different points and looking at the controller (pic attached - upper left is the problem child) to see what it showed. Ultimately, it was switching the controller back and forth that got it to work. Head scratcher for sure.
Your controllers look a lot more high tech than the one I was dealing with.... Not surprised that my experience isn't relevant...

Make sure to post up the final resolution...
__________________
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3920
hattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Dutchstar411's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
My driver's side electric sofa slide out (not full wall) will not operate at times - very finicky. Batteries fully charged and on shore power. I will hear a click from underneath - assuming it is the motor - then nothing. This one is on a 15 amp limit controller.

Sometimes, I will press the switch in the direction that the slide is already in - get a click, release the switch and then it works the other way/the way I need it to go. Another time, I moved that slide's connections to a higher amp limit controller and it worked - tried that another time and it did not work. And a couple of other times, it will just work after a few minutes of doing nothing.

Newmar is telling me that if it was the motor or the controller, it would not work at all. Last I spoke to them, they suspected a loose wire. I have checked and do not find any bad connections at the controller or the motor.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated!
Have you tried looking at the actual rocker switch? Maybe swap it with another one and test that as well. Check the wiring on it once you remove it and see if those connections are tight as well.
__________________
Ted & Nancy with our fur kids Mr. Vincent & Miss Daisy
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2002 Newmar Dutch Star 3852
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Have you tried looking at the actual rocker switch? Maybe swap it with another one and test that as well. Check the wiring on it once you remove it and see if those connections are tight as well.
I did check the connections at the rocker, but I did not change over to the other one. I did notice that when my wife was pressing the switch, the controller illuminated showing it was getting the signal. The rockers are strange in the fact that they have small diode‘s attached to the back. Definitely something to re-look at.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:35 AM   #11
Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 32
I have had similar issues with my passenger side slide. It's not a full wall slide on my 3717. What I have found is that it works when my jacks are up but goes intermittently when they are down. So basically, I need to follow the recommended procedure for full wall slides with the theory that there may be some binding in certain situations when my jacks are down. My guess is that this isn't your issue as you are likely running your drivers slide with the jacks up since that is what your full wall slide needs. However, it may be that there is a bind somewhere or, as others have stated, you are right on the edge of the controller setting. Also, as an off the wall suggestion, have you checked your slide motor bolts?

Good luck!
__________________
"EVA" - 2020 Newmar Ventana 3717
2020 Jeep Gladiator tow
Cscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Solved! It was an issue with the magnetic brake on the motor. I took everything apart and tested the motor and brake separately. Ultimately, I believe it was just a loose wire feeding power to the brake.
__________________
______________________
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412
2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19FBS
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:11 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
I Had this problem in my 2016 Essex. Turned out it was a voltage problem, fuse holder was fatigued over time needed to be replaced. Haven’t had any clicking since.
Heevp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
tomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heevp View Post
I Had this problem in my 2016 Essex. Turned out it was a voltage problem, fuse holder was fatigued over time needed to be replaced. Haven’t had any clicking since.
Thanks for the info. I hope I solved my issue, but I will definitely check the blade fuse if it acts up again.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, slide, slide out



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2021 Newmar Ventana 3412 pzxzqg iRV2 Owners Registry 0 04-18-2021 07:58 PM
2021 Ventana 3407 and 3412 options info and prices R.Wold Newmar Owner's Forum 1 05-18-2020 11:40 AM
2018 VTDP 3412 Closet JRW-NAW Newmar Owner's Forum 2 02-06-2018 09:53 PM
Ordered VTDP 3412, Now What? Waywards Newmar Owner's Forum 21 10-23-2016 06:29 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.