RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
inverter

Well here comes another one from a newbie. My 2000 DSDP has no inverter. I have tried to run the threads but haven't found my question. Is it logical to hook a 2000 w inverter to my batteries (4) and wire a 30 amp plug to the inverter and plug my shore cable into the 30 amp plug? Want to run microwave, tv and vacuum cleaner. Not all at the same time.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #2

My 99 came with only a 400 watt invertor; in the compartment behind the RR wheel, powering only the entertainment centre and the plug at the passengers feet.
Powering the main plug-in with an invertor sounds a little risky, JMHO , are you camped where you can't run the gen set

Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

My Kountry Star also had no inverter and I did what you are considering, only difference is I just went with a regular 20 amp outlet to plug the shore power cord into. It works just fine but definately not as convienent as a factory supplied unit. When using inverter power I turn off all breakers except those feeding the outlets I want power from.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmcg View Post
Well here comes another one from a newbie. My 2000 DSDP has no inverter. I have tried to run the threads but haven't found my question. Is it logical to hook a 2000 w inverter to my batteries (4) and wire a 30 amp plug to the inverter and plug my shore cable into the 30 amp plug? Want to run microwave, tv and vacuum cleaner. Not all at the same time.

Thanks
That would work, if you could ensure that the high-load devices like AC units and fridge are disconnected at the same time. Certainly easier than rewiring your electrical panel which is the more common method. You need to make sure that there's a 20amp breaker on that outlet, if the inverter doesn't have one already.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

The biggest problems I see with idea are, water heater and refer will automatically switch to 120VAC and drain the batteries in a hurry. Besides that the converter would start trying to draw power to charge the batteries. Not going to happen BTW. To do what your proposing would require you to manually switch the water heater to gas, the refer to gas, kill somehow the converter, then it would work. Personally at the amp draw of the microwave and vacuum I could envision the batteries being flat in just a couple of minutes. You, IMHO would be better off running the generator for those high amperage draw items, reserving in inverter for watching TV in the evening.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Yes we do it all the time with a Xantrex pro-watt 2000 PSW inverter.
Our 50amp shore power cord plug goes into a 50-30 dogbone adaptor which then goes into a 30-110v adaptor which then plugs into the inverter tan ext. cord. We do this whenever going down the road or dry camping. Our engine alternator charges the coach batts. thru a BIRD device so minimal worries when traveling. We run the basement frige/freezer, all electronics and their chargers, and a dual heating blanket at night and can go for 2 days on 4 6v batts.

Advantages is that it puts power to ALL the 110v circuits in the coach. DON'T try to start the AC's or El. water heater or run a 1500w hair dryer and YES it will run the batteries down quickly if using the micor/convection oven for a long time.

DO wire it with a minimum length of 2/0 wire (4/0 better) and remember to unplug the converter from 110v outlet when running the inverter. Pic below with recently installed Progressive EMS-HW50c system with cover removed. DO force Kit. Frige. and water heater to run on gas. Your in the el bay anyway to make the switch to shore power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9195.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	28170
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Most of these points have been covered already while I was writing this, but here's my 2 cents:

Connecting the inverter to the main plug is do-able, you just have to keep in mind your loading including all the loads like TV when turned off will be drawing power, Fridge when on auto, also big loads like electric water heater element.

We have had essentially the same thing on the last two coaches, we are careful to run only one big thing at once (like the microwave or coffee maker) and when we want to run small loads overnight (like the Airbed controls) we turn off all the other breakers except the one that powers the Airbed outlet. We always turn off the inverter when we don't need it to minimize draw from the battery.

With the 4 batteries you'll have plenty of capacity to run your microwave, etc for short periods of time, I just would not heat anything that took 25 minutes, for example.

If you do wire an inverter, make sure to follow the inverter mfr's recommendations regarding wire size and length to the battery, usually they want you to use 2/0 or 4/0 wire and keep under 5'. One inverter I bought from Costco came with #4 wire, they said right in the package that it was not big enough for running full load (1500W) and that you need 2/0 for that load.

What kind of converter/charger do you have? If it is single stage you probably will want to upgrade to multistage. And you'll definitely have to disconnect the converter while running the inverter. I'd also recommend getting a monitor that keeps track of the energy going into and out of the battery (commonly known as Amp/Hours). They do a much better job of keeping track of how well your batteries are charged than the voltage monitors that come with most RV's and will help to keep you from ruining them by overdischarge.

In our installations we removed the converter and used an Inverter/Charger, they are more expensive than the garden variety inverter but always have good multistage chargers.

We like the ability to watch TV or make coffee without having to run the generator.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some good advise in previous posts.
This library will give some added information that may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #9

Some MHs use a similar manual system for running the rig from the generator.

Others have told you about the severe limitations of what you can run for any length of time, but my point is to do a proper job of installing the inverter by keeping the wiring as short as possible (but inverter must not be in the same compartment as the batteries), using wire that is heavy enough to keep the voltage drop to a minimum AND make sure the positive lead is adequately protected with a fuse of the correct rating.

Also worth checking before you run your batteries down, is do you have a way of getting them back up to full charge asap.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Danger Will Robinson. Short cuts need so many unplugs , disconects etc. Take the time and wire it correctly. Sleep well @ night etc just sayin ) RV ing is supposed to be key on and drive, park it and relax.....cheers.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach has inverter setup as the OP proposes. Two added batteries and 3000w inverter installed in the storage bay just forward of the electrics bay. The added batteries are wired in parallel with orginal two batteries. A 30a RV recept mounted in the wall between. Plug in the shore cable and the entire coach is powered.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter