RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Inverter

I understand that the inverter changes 12V to 110V. My question is while at home RV is plugged into 50A so should I leave inverter on or off?
What do others do?
2015 DS 4369

lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I leave mine off. The rig is beside the house on 30 amp. At one time I did leave the inverter on, but the breaker tripped and ran my batteries down. Since then I put a light in the side window and leave the inverter off. That way I know if the power is off and can fix it. The light is easily seen through the stick house kitchen window so I can check it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
I understand that the inverter changes 12V to 110V. My question is while at home RV is plugged into 50A so should I leave inverter on or off?
What do others do?
2015 DS 4369
it matters not because even when on its not on as long as the 120V SP is plugged in
the only reason to leave off is if your worried about battery draining if SP failed and the inverter started running things u have left on
if Nothing is drawing power then it wont make any difference
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I leave mine off. The rig is beside the house on 30 amp. At one time I did leave the inverter on, but the breaker tripped and ran my batteries down. Since then I put a light in the side window and leave the inverter off. That way I know if the power is off and can fix it. The light is easily seen through the stick house kitchen window so I can check it.
We leave food in the refrigerator and was worried if we lost electicity, the refrigerator would not work with inverter off. We have loss electricity for a couple days but the AGS started the generator about 5-6 hours later. So really confused, if no inverter on and we loose electricity we loose refrigerator or does AGS keep refrigerator going during it's run time?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
We leave food in the refrigerator and was worried if we lost electicity, the refrigerator would not work with inverter off. We have loss electricity for a couple days but the AGS started the generator about 5-6 hours later. So really confused, if no inverter on and we loose electricity we loose refrigerator or does AGS keep refrigerator going during it's run time?
well then why would u not leave the inverter on ? set the AG to start when batterys get down to 12 volts
The generator starting 5 hours later obviously will most likely be in time before fridge gets too warm but why chance it
Old 12-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
What do others do?
2015 DS 4369
lakebuster
OFF...(I only turn my inverter ON when I need 120VC power and have no shore power and don't want to run my generator).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If the AGS is configured correctly, then it monitors the voltage of the house battery bank and will start to charge up the battery bank (as needed). This keeps the batteries from being damaged. I have mine set to do this, regardless of time of year and what devices what might be turned on inside the coach.

If the inverter is ON, then the refrig will run off of shore power when avail. If power goes out, then the inverter will kick in and you will run off batteries until the power comes back on. If your AGS is configured, then it will keep your batteries charged (until you run out of fuel).

If the inverter is OFF, then the refrig will turn off when the shorepower drops. It will stay off until shorepower comes back on.

I normally keep my inverter turned ON from opening until winterization. During the winter the inverter is turned OFF, but the converter (charger) is always on and trickle charging the battery bank as need. I empty my refrig when the coach is shut up for the winter, and it's turned off (as well as the bulk of everything else).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have left it on since purchasing MH 15 months ago. But our friend has a Georgetown and told me, I was ruining my batteries by leaving inverter on, because of constant draw on batteries. I did not know inverter was not in use under shore power.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I have left it on since purchasing MH 15 months ago. But our friend has a Georgetown and told me, I was ruining my batteries by leaving inverter on, because of constant draw on batteries. I did not know inverter was not in use under shore power.

well as we say you learn something every day and now you can inform your friend their wrong on the battery and inverter issue
Old 12-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
If you turn the inverter off, with a residental fridge, the fridge will shut off in the event of a power failure.

Without the inverter using the batteries to run your fridge, your batteries may stay charged for a long time. The AGS will not see low volts and kick in, before the food spoils.

With inverter on, fridge runs on inverter during power failure. That runs down batteries and causes AGS to start generator. No spoiled food until you run out of fuel.

The choice is yours.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you turn the inverter off, with a residental fridge, the fridge will shut off in the event of a power failure.

Without the inverter using the batteries to run your fridge, your batteries may stay charged for a long time. The AGS will not see low volts and kick in, before the food spoils.

With inverter on, fridge runs on inverter during power failure. That runs down batteries and causes AGS to start generator. No spoiled food until you run out of fuel.

The choice is yours.
yes thats been explained here several times
Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
yes thats been explained here several times
I see that now that I'm not slowly typing my response. It still reads true
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
If the AGS is configured correctly, then it monitors the voltage of the house battery bank and will start to charge up the battery bank (as needed). This keeps the batteries from being damaged. I have mine set to do this, regardless of time of year and what devices what might be turned on inside the coach.

If the inverter is ON, then the refrig will run off of shore power when avail. If power goes out, then the inverter will kick in and you will run off batteries until the power comes back on. If your AGS is configured, then it will keep your batteries charged (until you run out of fuel).

If the inverter is OFF, then the refrig will turn off when the shorepower drops. It will stay off until shorepower comes back on.

I normally keep my inverter turned ON from opening until winterization. During the winter the inverter is turned OFF, but the converter (charger) is always on and trickle charging the battery bank as need. I empty my refrig when the coach is shut up for the winter, and it's turned off (as well as the bulk of everything else).
Thank you! Your post sums it up.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #14

"If the inverter is OFF, then the refrig will turn off when the shorepower drops. It will stay off until shorepower comes back on."

I think that depends on the refrigerator. My Dometic switches to propane when the power fails and only needs enough 12 volts to operate the controls. This is one reason I do not have a home style refrigerator in my motorhome.

As for the inverter - My inverter, like most modern units has three functions. Function 1 - Charger - It charges the battery when there is shore power or generator power. Function 2 - Invert - It supplies power from the battery to the entertainment system, a couple of wall plugs and the microwave when there is neither shore power nor generator power. Note: For those with home style refrigerators this is what powers the refrigerator when there is neither shore nor generator power) Function -3 - Pass through - It supplies shore power or generator power, when present, to all attached loads (Entertainment system, etc).

I have the option of turning off either the Inverter function, or both the charger and inverter functions. The pass through function is operated by a relay and is automatically deactivated when the inverter function is active.

Given these options,

1 - I alway leave the charger function on. This keep the batteries topped up when either generator or shore power is available.

2 - I always leave the inverter function off except when I need the power and both the generator and shore power are off. I am working to convert the entertainment system to 12 volts so I will only need the inverter for the microwave. I already converted all the internet equipment, phone charging, and fans to 12 volts and the lights were already 12 volts.

Leaving the inverter off greatly extends my dry camping time, and leaving the charger on make sure I have power for my 12 volt gear and keeps my batteries ready to travel at all times.

The choice may be different for those that have the option of automatic generator-start-on-low-battery. I do not have that option, but if I did I do not think I would change my behavior. If I did not have the gas option on my refrigerator, I would definitely leave my inverter on at all times and depend on the generator to autostart.

It may also help to know that I have yet to winterize my unit (4 years and counting). I have installed a power pedestal in my yard and keep the power on all the time it is parked. I run the propane furnace to keep the unit above freezing when I am not traveling. This might not be practical in the north, but it is now mid December where I live and it is 50 Degrees f outside. The furnace has yet to be needed this year.

Your inverter may be different, but I think most have these same functions.

APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter