Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #1

Inverter : Melted Fuse and fuse block

Magnum inverter errored today; stopped inverting; and would not allow "Auto Connect" so no 110v power to the coach...

Looking at the graphs the inverter was pulling ~150Amps @ ~12.6 volts when it shut down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverterOff.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	289095

The coach had 12v power; and the solar charger was reporting good battery voltage.

Magnum's "Low Battery Volts" error seemed strange, until... I checked the fuse from the battery bank to the inverter. It was blown, and the fuse block was melted...

Not being familiar with this type of fuse, I grabbed my wrench to remove the wires from the lugs; and discovered the nuts were only finger tight - on both sides of the fuse block.

Name:	fuseMelted.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	289096

Question: Would loose nuts cause a 150 amp load to exceed the 350 amp fuse rating? Or do I have another problem I need to track down?

In the meantime; I've rewired the electric panel to eliminate the inverter - so we can run on shore power; and I have a replacement fuse and block on order. I'll ask Newmar to ship replacements too under warranty...
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, the increased connection resistance due to the finger tight nuts at 150A heated the thermal elements in the fuse up until it blew, the same as the fuse would at over 350A (usually way over 350A) with properly tightened connections.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFSB View Post
Magnum inverter errored today; stopped inverting; and would not allow "Auto Connect" so no 110v power to the coach...

Looking at the graphs the inverter was pulling ~150Amps @ ~12.6 volts when it shut down.

Attachment 289095

The coach had 12v power; and the solar charger was reporting good battery voltage.

Magnum's "Low Battery Volts" error seemed strange, until... I checked the fuse from the battery bank to the inverter. It was blown, and the fuse block was melted...

Not being familiar with this type of fuse, I grabbed my wrench to remove the wires from the lugs; and discovered the nuts were only finger tight - on both sides of the fuse block.

Attachment 289096

Question: Would loose nuts cause a 150 amp load to exceed the 350 amp fuse rating? Or do I have another problem I need to track down?

In the meantime; I've rewired the electric panel to eliminate the inverter - so we can run on shore power; and I have a replacement fuse and block on order. I'll ask Newmar to ship replacements too under warranty...

We have twins, thanks for chiming in on my thread.

Like I said this is a crappy set up, that fuse block needs to have nuts under the fuse so proper torque can be applied to the connection.

If the plastic gets even remotely warm it will deform causing lost tension and lose connection, High amperage draw due to increased resistance.

I suggest you switch to either blue sea or the ME-400F https://www.invertersupply.com/index...hoCBXMQAvD_BwE
Old 10-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #4

I used : Marinco Power Products Class T Fuse Holder with 2 Additional Studs

with 350A Blue Sea Systems Class T Fuse

also added a battery disconnect switch to the inverter.

>> proper torque
Do you have a suggestion in ft/lb that these should be torqued to?
Old 10-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
>> proper torque
From the Marinco data sheet:

Recommended torques:
Both 10mm (3/8”) and 12mm (1/2”)
studs: 21.5 Nm (15.9 lbf)
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #6

Poor setup for sure!

As can be seen in the OP picture, the two rubber or plastic insulators had melted, most likely the cause of them loosening off. As Luv2go chimed in, the heat caused the thermal link in the fuse to open prematurely, that is how thermal fuses work, the melting of the thermal link with (usually) too much current.
I would recommend like Vickie 4369 says and install a 2nd nut under the fuse or even in any connection block like this, then you have metal to metal to torque too.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I would recommend like Vickie 4369 says and install a 2nd nut under the fuse or even in any connection block like this, then you have metal to metal to torque too.
Thanks - will do!
Old 10-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:

>> proper torque

15 lb ft
Old 10-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:

>> proper torque
I had added shut off switches to all 3 Positive leads when I installed the Lifeline batteries, that made it easy to fix the fuse situation.

Ted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5992.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	304863  
Old 10-15-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
YC1

Yep, loose nuts running around create electron friction which is the same thing that lights an incandescent bulb. Fuses melt do to heat. That can be external heat as you have found. Of course it was a combination of the heavy current flowing in the fuse and the added heat nearby.

Annual maintenance should include finding these large nuts and tightening them.

A carefully wrapped wrench can even do it while the circuits are live if you are incredibly careful.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Yep, loose nuts running around create electron friction which is the same thing that lights an incandescent bulb. Fuses melt do to heat. That can be external heat as you have found. Of course it was a combination of the heavy current flowing in the fuse and the added heat nearby.

Annual maintenance should include finding these large nuts and tightening them.

A carefully wrapped wrench can even do it while the circuits are live if you are incredibly careful.
If they were backed by nuts instead or plastic, they would never come lose.

Ted.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #12

If you'll get onto Newmar , maybe with multiple customer complaints they'll change suppliers of the fuse holder .
Old 10-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you'll get onto Newmar , maybe with multiple customer complaints they'll change suppliers of the fuse holder .
I formed a letter to Newmar with links to this and my thread.

Hopefully they take it seriously and look at this and come up with a solution or use my solution.

Ted.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
YC1

A nut and washer on first, then the fuse, then the rest of the hardware would allow the connections to be properly tight and provide a bit of extra heat sink. There should be little heat build up there of course.

I have replaced thousands of fuse blocks in my business over the years and it usually comes down to finding a loose connection on one end.

Yes there are better built fuse blocks and we always looked for top of the line products.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, inverter