RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Inverter Outlets

I have read other forum threads concerning inverters.

I am unfamiler with RV inverters and don't know what to really expect from them in a RV.

On a 2005 Newmar KSDP is the entire coach wired the the inverter or is only certian applianances and outlets wired to the inverter. There was no manual or instructions on how to use the inverter.

Please advise,
Dwight

Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

I'm sure there are other configurations, but the 2000 watt inverters I have seen have the inside wall recepatcles wired through the inverter. The microwave is usually wired through the inside receptacle wiring eventhough the receptacle is in an upper cabinet. Hope this helps a bit.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is some information on inverters that may help you if you were to install new.
With the tables shown you would have to separate the circuits out of your load center and feed to inverter circuits, most likely add another load center off inverter.
Your AC's would stay in the original load center with other heavy current draw items.
There is some added info in the QT's 1 & 2 link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #4

As to the question of which outlets use the inverter. I know on my older '98 DSDP, only half the outlets were hooked up to the inverter did not have a wiring diagram so just went through the coach with the inverter on and no shore power and found out which ones had power. Don't know how your KSDP is wired. Let us know if you figure it out.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the same MH and if you have the standard 600w inverter, only the front recepticles are connected to operate the TV, DVD, etc, and also the recepticle behind the drivers seat. The one behind the passenger seat, I have never tried.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess we should have ask if you have the large inverter option on your coach.
If not than Mike has the correct answer.
You can trip the GFI on small inverter to find out what outlets are off it.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
On my former 05KSDP only the front TV,bedroom TV and the outlet in
back of the drivers seat were inverter outlets with the standard 600Watt inverter.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Same here on our 05 DSDP. Both TV's the outlets for the DVD/switch box/SAT and the outlet behind the driver seat. The passenger seat outlet is not onour 600W inverter.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #9

Hi

I also have a 2005 Kountry star and I'm pretty sure all my outlets have power when the inverter
Is on.
Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just found this thread and would like to revive it with a question. I do not have an inverter in my 2003 Mtn Aire 3778 gas coach but would like to add one to power the front TV, DVD, and other entertainment items housed in the front overhead. It would also be nice to have the one wall outlet by the passenger seat live too for using a PC, etc. One solution is to run a dedicated separate wire from the inverter and mount a new outlet box in the cabinet over the passenger seat. This would require physically moving the plugs (do it all in one using an outlet strip) from the original outlet to the inverter powered outlet. This will be a PITA since there is very little room in that overhead cabinet as it is now even without another surface mount outlet in there. In fact, it just may not all fit.

As I understand it, that is electrically the most fail safe method.

Although I am not all that well versed in all things electrical, I understand that good inverters have a pass through feature and that I could somehow wire the output of the inverter to the supply line for that existing front overhead cabinet outlet in the panel in the bedroom. Is that correct? From inverter to panel. Then I would not have to swap out any plugs. When on shore power, the outlet would be live with 120 volts passed through the inverter and when not on shore power the outlet would be live with 120 volts supplied from the inverter. The thing I don't understand is how I wire it up correctly.

I have done a search on this before and read all the posts but still don't know how to tackle this specific situation.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
CaptainJerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Often all the outlets you wish to power (Passenger seat and Main entertainment center) are on the same circuit.. It should be easy to "Cut in" and put an "In-line" type inverter in that line.. For what you want say 300-500 watts TRUE SINE WAVE should do it.

I do strongly recommend a TSW by the way.. Your Entertainment center will thank you.

Listening to the VP debate as I type... Kind of interesting listening to them yammer.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf2 View Post
I have read other forum threads concerning inverters.

I am unfamiler with RV inverters and don't know what to really expect from them in a RV.

On a 2005 Newmar KSDP is the entire coach wired the the inverter or is only certian applianances and outlets wired to the inverter. There was no manual or instructions on how to use the inverter.

Please advise,
Dwight
My 2003 KSDP has all the 110V outlets connected to the inverter. Microwave and such work driving down the road without generator power.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The easiest method to determine which outlets and appliances are inverter driven is to remove any 120 VAC power, shore or generator. Then turn the inverter on. Now using a three prong outlet tester or a 120 VAC lamp, plug it in each outlet. If it works you can add that outlet to the list. Also check every appliance, TV's microwave, etc.

You don't need to check the roof-top A/C's they are NOT inverter driven nor is the Splendide Washer/Dryer. The outlet for the Engine Block Heater is also not inverter driven.

They should be two outlets in the rear of your RV fridge, one for the ice maker (inverter driven) and one for the fridge (non-inverter driven). It is that way so when you remove shore power your fridge will switch over to LPG if set on the Auto setting. And the ice maker will continue to make ice providing that you have the inverter turned on.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Captain Jerry welcome to the forum.
A 600 watt inverter would be placed outside under the passenger seat compartment.
A # 8 stranded wire run to positive post on house battery.
The negative wire #8 off the inverter would be attached to the metal frame of compartment. Also a negative wire off frame of inverter to same frame post.
The 120 off inverter would run into a outlet box in same compartment and a # 14 from outlet near floor at passengers feet under dash would be one of the outlets and the other would be the one feeding your TV & VCR in overhead cabinet passenger side.
My inverter is plugged into same outlet in outside compartment. All #14 wires also.

Tags
inverter