Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter Replacement Headaches!!!!

I am replacing the inverter in my 2004 Newmar Scottsdale motorhome which is putting out voltage readings between 7 volts and 108 volts and never worked properly. The unit originally had a Dimensions brand 300 Watt quasi-sine wave inverter (OEM). Later that was replaced with a 400 Watt Xantrex sine wave inverter which was not working when I purchased the unit (XS400 model). Apparently (per Newmar) inverters of this type are just intended to power my "entertainment equipment" only: TV, blue ray, etc. It may also power laptops, printers, etc. On the Newmar's web site they recommend the Magnum MM612 600W as a replacement for my OEM unit but that recommendation is (I'm sure) probably several years old, and that unit is quite pricy on Amazon at $306.00**. I am thinking there is probably a newer, better & probably less pricy option. In terms of selection here are the criteria:

1) My motorhome has 2, 12 volt batteries (lead acid).
2) I do definitely need the "pass through" power option (passes house power through inverter when rig attached to shore power).
3) Preferably pure sine wave, but quasi sine wave would probably work also.
4) The old units (being replaced) also had an AC flexible pigtail plug (input power) that plugged into an outlet in the back of the compartment (for the AC bypass) which adds additional complications in selection. If the corded AC input is not available I guess I could just hardwire the new inverter to the existing duplex outlet...guessing outlet box needs to be converted to a junction box first?
5) I also am a bit confused about the DC positive cable fuse? Is one needed if an internal fuse is built into the replacement unit itself? If not built in what would be a suitable external one? It is supposed to be a 60 amp fuse (class T or equivalent). I have never found one on the old units.

Don't necessarily need remote on/off switch.
Any help would be appreciated.

** https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Energy.../dp/B0056GXI16
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #2

As far as #5, The fuse protects the wiring, not the device. That means it needs to be near the power source, battery in your case.

You use a fuse that will blow before the wire melts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Twinboat.....I have found a 50 amp breaker in the front engine bay behind my BIRD for a 400 Watt inverter. It is contained in a plexiglass box with many other fuses and breakers. I assume this breakjer is being used in place of a wired-in fuse next to the battery bank which I have never found (even though the inverter is only about 2 feet from the inverter). Any ideas on this? I also expected to find a fuse near the batteries.

Tags
ace, ada, inverter, replace, replacement