Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Inverter setup

I need help setting up my inverter, or where I can get the info, for the first in three years I had my coach stored for two months, the storage facility doesnít plugged it in anymore so when they parked the dead men switch was turn off and they also turned off my inverter at the control box inside the coach passenger side above the dash, I turn the dead men switch on and drove it home, now I realized that my freezer itís off, microwave and dishwasher itís off, I turn the inverter on but Iím not sure the settings are correct, I want to make sure my battery will charge etc etc and the microwave still off if Iím not on shore power. Basic safe setup would be great thanks

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
I need help setting up my inverter,

Zzotte
I am not sure about the newer models, but my coach has breakers for all of those things in the cabinet over the toilet. I suspect yours have breakers somewhere. Also, on the inverter, there is a push-button type breaker. When it is blown, all of those things shut down. A quick push of the button fixes everything.

As for the inverter setup, most manufactures will work with coach owners. No one knows it better than they do. My inverter is made by Magnum... when I have a problem, I call them.
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
I need help setting up my inverter, or where I can get the info, for the first in three years I had my coach stored for two months, the storage facility doesnít plugged it in anymore so when they parked the dead men switch was turn off and they also turned off my inverter at the control box inside the coach passenger side above the dash, I turn the dead men switch on and drove it home, now I realized that my freezer itís off, microwave and dishwasher itís off, I turn the inverter on but Iím not sure the settings are correct, I want to make sure my battery will charge etc etc and the microwave still off if Iím not on shore power. Basic safe setup would be great thanks

Zzotte
I'm no expert on this issue, but I would say your house/coach battery voltage is TOO LOW for the Inverter/Charger to kick in... at least that is the way Xantrex Freedom 458 20D is...? The engine alternator will also recharge the house batteries while the engine is running, but that might take a while if they are near dead. I say unhook the house batteries connection and charge each battery up to at least 12 volts each with a portable charger (the inverter will not kick in if it sees under 10 volts coming in), then reconnect everything and the the Inverter/Charger should take over while you are on Shore power or Generator power. If you have solar panel(s) they should also keep the batteries topped off as long as they can see daylight.
jboutelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, one last issue left to resolve is the fact that I have no 110v to the microwave when not plugged into shore power or Gen

Zzotte
Old 09-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, one last issue left to resolve is the fact that I have no 110v to the microwave when not plugged into shore power or Gen

Zzotte
What was it that fixed the other problems?

Do you have a power management system that may be shutting the microwave off when there is no AC? I have 8 AGM batteries and the microwave is not happy when we are inverting. It is pretty rare that we run it when not plugged in.

BTW: Years ago, we lived off of Harvey Road and 95. We love Wilmington.

-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #6

Inverter Power

Quote:

Zzotte
There are lots of different power systems in RV's. Even options in the same model can be different.

Some systems have an inverter that only powers a compressor refrigerator. In that system the microwave would never have worked.

Microwave requires 10 to 13 amps of 120 volt AC power. A 1000 watt inverter could not run a microwave in that system either.

A 2000 watt inverter with a 400 amp hour battery bank could run a microwave, but not much else while the micro is running.

A 3000 watt inverter with a 600 amp hour battery bank should run a lot of appliance except air conditioning and electric water heater.

Inverter may continue to trip its low voltage breaker until the battery voltage is above 11.8 volts. Some inverters allow user to set low voltage trip level, so whatever yours is set to.

We need make and model of inverter to give more precise advice.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #7

Storing lead acid batteries

"for the first in three years I had my coach stored for two months, the storage facility doesnít plugged it in anymore so when they parked the dead men switch was turn off and they also turned off my inverter at the control box inside the coach passenger side above the dash"

I have never seen an RV with a "dead men" switch. I have heard people call the 12 volt main switch near the entrance a "salesmen" switch.

This switch usually does not disconnect all 12 volt appliances. When batteries are full charged, they may still be functional after 1 to 3 weeks. For longer storage, the batteries need to be disconnected.

Many owners have a battery disconnect switch installed in the positive wire at the main battery cable. Fully charged, the batteries may last 6 months.

Always store lead acid batteries fully charged. Fully charged means charging for 14 to 18 hours. Recharge before battery terminal voltage drops below 12.4 volts.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter