Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2022, 07:53 PM   #1

Inverter upgrade

Working on a plan to upgrade inverter, batteries, etc. So I'm better set up for boondocking. In my 2019 BS 3414.
I have an Elect engineer helping me with equipment, so I think I have that covered. Victron 3000w, LifePo batts, shunt, solar, etc.
My question is about location. It seems that I have room to put batteries, inverter and other stuff in the back bay where my plug and transfer switch is located. Assuming everything fits, is there anything I'm missing here?
Thanks
TDentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2022, 10:36 PM   #2

Tell us what you are replacing.. and you can list it here in classified free I believe and recoup some of your investment.. I have no inverter and will need one to take my daughter out to see the redwoods.. she has terminal brain cancer.. post tumor surgery and she is stable now.. after many rounds of chemo and rad.. but in the future.. just thinking if things go south.. then can use an inverter to power medical equipment.. does not have to be too big.. probably need cables and better batteries.. no hand out accepted please.. I will pay.. just a suggestion for you to list here..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-14-2022, 07:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2014 Canyon Star 3956. Installed 2 Battlborn GC3 batteries, Multiplus 2, BMV 712 in the rear bay. I also installed the BIM for Lithium in the box with the BIRD. The only issue you might have is the generator. The Multiplus will only go into pass thru for L1 and L2 if L1 and L2 are 180į out of phase with each other. The Onan has both lines in phase with each other. I have lots of info on my install and a work around for the generator. My whole RV is now powered thru my multiplus. I can fun 1 A/C without the gen if needed and sometimes I do this an hour or 2 before I get to the next park. Oh, I also put in Soft starts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4414.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	382703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4413.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	382704  

Name:	DSC_4411.jpg
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	382705  
bfezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #4

Thanks. I would like the info on the generator. If you could PM me.

Is this bay in your pics also where the shore power cord and transfer case are at?
Old 12-18-2022, 12:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes this is the same bay the power cord and transfer switch is in. Power cord and transfer switch are on the driver's side and the previous pics were on the passenger side. Here is a pic taken from the passenger side, if you follow the wires on the ceiling of the bay they come from the transfer switch to the multiplus. I am also attaching a document I made to explain the generator issue. I am also attaching my wiring diagram of my system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	382857  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Wiring Diagram 2.pdf (294.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf Why second transfer switch.pdf (269.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-18-2022, 09:54 AM   #6

Here is a pic of my rear bay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resized_20221209_111042.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	382887  
Old 12-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might be tight but you might be able to put the batteries in the pass thru and the inverter hanging on the wall to the left. I would take some cardboard and cut out a template to test fitment. Remember the inverter need room to breathe, about 4 inches on each side, top and bottom. Here are pics of where the BIRD is located. I know on my coach, I had 6 batteries, 4 on a slide out tray and 2 under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Location of BIRD.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	382913   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD box with labels.JPG
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	382914  

Old 12-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #8

Think about all of that weight hanging at the far aft end of your rear axle, Tony! Batteries, in particular, are going to 'cost' a lot, in terms of weight, and will make the front end/steering axle lighter in the process. Not sure if you're on a 24k# chassis, but if so, check your current axle weights and then factor in your mods to see if you're still within limits when fully loaded (typical fuel, water, and 'stuff' included). I don't know of any minimum stated for the steering axle, but too light a load will cause all kinds of steering/stability issues going down the road and will be exaggerated with cross-winds from passing rigs or just plain windy weather.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 12-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfezz View Post
Yes this is the same bay the power cord and transfer switch is in. Power cord and transfer switch are on the driver's side and the previous pics were on the passenger side. Here is a pic taken from the passenger side, if you follow the wires on the ceiling of the bay they come from the transfer switch to the multiplus. I am also attaching a document I made to explain the generator issue. I am also attaching the wiring diagram of my system.
I had a similar issue and added the Victron Autotransformer to basically take the 2 parallel outputs from my Onan QD7500 which are not out of phase and it will take the 2 lines and make them 180* out of phase so my Victron inverter(s) (2 in my case) see the input pretty much the same way to sees a 50A shore connection. The autotransformer is installed between the generator and the transfer switch.

In my case it was so both inverters would charge when running the generator (280A @12V) so it charges those suckers up pretty fast
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfezz View Post
I have a 2014 Canyon Star 3956. Installed 2 Battlborn GC3 batteries, Multiplus 2, BMV 712 in the rear bay. I also installed the BIM for Lithium in the box with the BIRD. The only issue you might have is the generator. The Multiplus will only go into pass thru for L1 and L2 if L1 and L2 are 180į out of phase with each other. The Onan has both lines in phase with each other. I have lots of info on my install and a work around for the generator. My whole RV is now powered thru my multiplus. I can fun 1 A/C without the gen if needed and sometimes I do this an hour or 2 before I get to the next park. Oh, I also put in Soft starts.

Iíd like to hear how you dealt with the gen issue.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:48 PM   #11

Thanks Alan, I'll consider that effect. I'm looking at 2 - 200ah batteries totaling under 100lbs, so I think I'll be ok.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:14 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a second transfer switch. Please see attached PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Why second transfer switch.pdf (269.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-25-2022, 02:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I had a similar issue and added the Victron Autotransformer to basically take the 2 parallel outputs from my Onan QD7500 which are not out of phase and it will take the 2 lines and make them 180* out of phase so my Victron inverter(s) (2 in my case) see the input pretty much the same way to sees a 50A shore connection. The autotransformer is installed between the generator and the transfer switch.

In my case it was so both inverters would charge when running the generator (280A @12V) so it charges those suckers up pretty fast
Do you have any pictures of this. I have just jumped the two at the ATS for now. Have a single multiplus 2 3000 with 4 200ah lithiums. And havenít got it all dialed in quiet yet. Just looking for best option to make this work as it should. The jumper was able to run both ACís, fridge and microwave before pulling off battery power. And have an 8000qd. Still feel like the 8000 should about be able to
Keep up.

Appreciate all of the information here. Thank you!
Bigjake0524 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, upgrade