Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

Inverters

I had understood, when you plug into shore power the inverters would automatically allow both house and chassis batteries to go on charge once needed or dropped below 12 volts or so.
My 2015 KA is in the shop at Transwest (where I purchased). They were performing a few punch list items and one was my batteries were not being charged when plugged in.
They consulted with Newmar and made some settings changes. They also said I must manually (turn off) the inverters once shore power is connected in order for the charger to work properly.
Thoughts??
huntnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnjim View Post
They also said I must manually (turn off) the inverters once shore power is connected in order for the charger to work properly.
Thoughts??
mmm, no... system should automatically handle the charging.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi huntnjim,
When posting in the Newmar Owner's Forum take care to ensure you are following the advice of a Newmar owner.

Everything, with regard to batteries and charging on the KA is automatic, once the control setting s are made. The system will reliably do what you told it to do without any further intervention on your part.

I am concerned about the advice you received from the dealer. The KA has a bunch of batteries. If one battery is not performing, it tells me there is a battery problem. Also, I have never heard of a Newmar owner needing to turn off the inverter before charging takes place. It makes no sense. Gut feel says the dealer tech should have started this explanation with "Once Upon A Time". Newmar coaches are manufactured with the "BIRD" system. This will ensure all (chassis/coach) batteries will be charged fully when connected to shore power.

Please contact Newmar Customer service yourself. Then you'll get the correct story. Please post Newmar's answer in this thread as we can all learn from your experience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnjim View Post
I had understood, when you plug into shore power the inverters would automatically allow both house and chassis batteries to go on charge once needed or dropped below 12 volts or so.
My 2015 KA is in the shop at Transwest (where I purchased). They were performing a few punch list items and one was my batteries were not being charged when plugged in.
They consulted with Newmar and made some settings changes. They also said I must manually (turn off) the inverters once shore power is connected in order for the charger to work properly.
Thoughts??
Please be a little more specific about what model RV you have. In Newmar parlance, the KA (KADP) was the Kountry Aire. There is no 2015 Kountry Aire, so are you actually referring to the King Aire (which is KGDB)?

The dealer was wrong. A properly installed inverter system (with BIRD) on a KGDB does NOT have to be turned off to charge. In fact, if you turn it off, you have no AC power to any of the inverter-fed circuits.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Yes this is a 2015 King Aire loaded with most all options. This is my 3rd MH and 2nd Newmar. I had a 2014 Mountain Aire and traded up earlier in this year.
I have always understood that the inverter/charger are automatic once shore power is applied. My experience also concurs with this.
I called Transwest again this morning and the (possibly new) service advisor stated he could have (miss spoke). He is checking with one of the senior techs for the correction.
I am disappointed he referenced (Newmar Tech Support) for the guidance.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Bird System with the converter portion of your inverter/converter charges all your battery systems when plugged into shore line.
I am not sure with your Simplex system if something needs to be operated to do this in the program but never the less the Bird System still charges the battery systems.
There is more info on your coach systems in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #7

New guy Cole at Transwest called back a moment ago His senior tech spoke with Newmar again and says a different senior tech at Newmar corrected him. There is a problem with either the Bird system, Inverters or something in between. It will not go into charge mode unless you manually activate, by turning the inverters off.
They are troubleshooting and when done WILL work automatically when shore power is supplied.
2 other notes fyi:
The gps antenna is being replaced for the nav system, (stopped working recently)
The TPMS receiver is being replaced due to 2 tires was not being read by monitor.
Relatively speaking minor problems for such a complicated coach.
And one other fyi, I spoke with a guy that was dropping off a new Prevost. He has had multiple issues since taking delivery. Point is I don't believe there is any high end manufacture that has trouble free rigs.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some comments: INverters do not charge batteries, they discharge them
CONVERTERS (And chargers) Charge batteries.

Some "In-line" type inverters are really Inverter/charger, but it is the charger module that charges the batteries, and they charge only the house, not the chassis.

now, on a motor home is a device called a battery isolator, these come in basicaly two types, One way and bi-directional

One way, Engine alternator charges everything, but house only charges house

Bi-Directional both charge both.

If the problem is not charging chassis, it may be
1: You have a one-way isolator
2: the bi-directional one is not working properly

Normaily Bi-Direcrtional units do not parallel the battery banks till you get to around 13 volts. on the charging side.

Tags
inverter