Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #1

Inverters Converters OH My

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my residential fridge install and toss my Dometic NDR 1062. My plan is to purchase a 1000 watt PSW inverter with an internal transfer switch that will be dedicated to the fridge. My coach has the factory installed converter charger along with a BIRD. Currently I have 2 golf cart 6 volt batteries for the house. I have room for 2 more. I will mostly use the inverter to power the fridge while driving using the alternator to keep the batteries charged. I may add 2 more batteries later if needed but I think it's best to purchase 4 new batteries rather than add 2 new ones to an existing bank. My batteries are 5 years old and seem to be doing fine for now. I realize 2 will not give me much time for the fridge on battery power. Based on my current setup do you think the 1000 watt dedicated inverter is the way to go or would you replace the old converter charger with an inverter charger? Any advantages to keeping my converter charger and adding the dedicated inverter for fridge besides less $$$ ?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:58 AM   #2

The only advantage I would see to a new inverter/charger is if your old converter was a single stage model.

Most modern inverter/chargers are 3 or 4 stage types. This would take better care of your batteries.

Other then that, your plan sounds fine to me.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I would recommend going with at least a 1800 watt pure sine wave inverter. Reason being is once you have the capability for the refrigerator, you will want it for charging something else; ie. laptop, tv, coffee machine. Also, when looking at inverters, look at the surge capability. When devices first turn on, they usually draw more initial power. Four 6 volts in parallel/series will give you plenty but I would recommend upgrading the converter at the same time to ensure it is a 3/4 stage smart charger. That will be the best way to ensure you maintain your new batteries. Now you almost ready for solar. Best of luck.
TechNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You've made do without an inverter, so your initial plan could be reasonable.

However, we have a 2K Magnum pure sine wave, and frig, mwave/convection oven, all the tv's/entertain, coffee maker, and half the sockets in the coach are on it.

While driving, wife likes to have something cooking in the crockpot for dinner, kids/wife use their computers and tv/dvd's, and we'll periodically make a cup of coffee. Boondocking, we have access to everything we need without starting the generator each time we want to use something.

If it were me I'd bite the bullet and upgrade to a 2K pure sine wave inverter/converter, and be done with it.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The only advantage I would see to a new inverter/charger is if your old converter was a single stage model.

Most modern inverter/chargers are 3 or 4 stage types. This would take better care of your batteries.

Other then that, your plan sounds fine to me.
I added the Charge Wizard to my converter which is a plug and play device that gives me 4 stage charger function.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
You've made do without an inverter, so your initial plan could be reasonable.

However, we have a 2K Magnum pure sine wave, and frig, mwave/convection oven, all the tv's/entertain, coffee maker, and half the sockets in the coach are on it.

While driving, wife likes to have something cooking in the crockpot for dinner, kids/wife use their computers and tv/dvd's, and we'll periodically make a cup of coffee. Boondocking, we have access to everything we need without starting the generator each time we want to use something.

If it were me I'd bite the bullet and upgrade to a 2K pure sine wave inverter/converter, and be done with it.
I think part of the reason for not giving more thought to changing out the converter for a larger inverter charger is the unknown of how to do the install. Would my BIRD system still work the same and my ability to access the extra electrical outlets ?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I would recommend going with at least a 1800 watt pure sine wave inverter. Reason being is once you have the capability for the refrigerator, you will want it for charging something else; ie. laptop, tv, coffee machine. Also, when looking at inverters, look at the surge capability. When devices first turn on, they usually draw more initial power. Four 6 volts in parallel/series will give you plenty but I would recommend upgrading the converter at the same time to ensure it is a 3/4 stage smart charger. That will be the best way to ensure you maintain your new batteries. Now you almost ready for solar. Best of luck.
The surge capability is 2000 watt on the inverter I'm looking at.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #8

FWIW as long as you are going to run with two batteries I agree with twinboat. The smaller inverter will handle the refrigerator and some small charging loads and do it more efficiently. You do not have enough battery to use the high current loads without prematurely degrading what you have. There is another thread where somebody with a 4 battery setup claims 21 hours of safe operation so you probably could make it through night of dry camping.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Well since this is my thread I guess it's ok to change the theme a tad. If I go with a larger inverter (2000-2500 watt) charger to replace my current converter charger how difficult a job is this? Will my Bird system work with an inverter charger? How about connecting to just a few of the existing AC plugs already installed in the coach such as TV and a kitchen counter outlet. What's the process to accomplish this? I'm much better with the mechanical stuff than the electrical but it can't be to difficult with some instruction. If I don't need special tools or heavy equipment tools I try to do all my own work. Any of you Newmar folks with older coaches equipped with a converter charger make the switch and if so what was involved?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #10

Old 07-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Well since this is my thread I guess it's ok to change the theme a tad. If I go with a larger inverter (2000-2500 watt) charger to replace my current converter charger how difficult a job is this? Will my Bird system work with an inverter charger? How about connecting to just a few of the existing AC plugs already installed in the coach such as TV and a kitchen counter outlet. What's the process to accomplish this? I'm much better with the mechanical stuff than the electrical but it can't be to difficult with some instruction. If I don't need special tools or heavy equipment tools I try to do all my own work. Any of you Newmar folks with older coaches equipped with a converter charger make the switch and if so what was involved?
Noserider,

If you put in an 2000-2500 watt inverter/charger you'll need to add a sub panel. A 30 amp breaker will then be added to your main panel with a wire running to the new inverter. Then a wire from the inverter will be run to the sub panel. Having access to run these wires can be an issue. The sub panel will feed all your interior outlets, microwave, etc. Pretty much power everything except the A/Cs. Putting in a sub panel requires moving wires from the main panel to the sub panel.

All this requires a lot of work. But it's senseless to put in that big of an inverter/charger if your not going to utilize the features. With this big of an inverter it would be wise to add 2 more house batteries also. Without a doubt the cheapest and easiest way to power just the refrigerator is with your original plan. That aside, I will say having a big inverter is great. It's nice not having to start a generator for simple things like making coffee or microwaving something quick, and watching TV.

My MH came factory equipped with an 2000 watt inverter/charger. I'll attach pics of the electrical panels they installed. It'll give you some idea of what you'll need.

And yes your BIRD will work just fine with this system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	133735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	133736  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	133737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	133738  

Old 07-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Noserider,

If you put in an 2000-2500 watt inverter/charger you'll need to add a sub panel. A 30 amp breaker will then be added to your main panel with a wire running to the new inverter. Then a wire from the inverter will be run to the sub panel. Having access to run these wires can be an issue. The sub panel will feed all your interior outlets, microwave, etc. Pretty much power everything except the A/Cs. Putting in a sub panel requires moving wires from the main panel to the sub panel.

All this requires a lot of work. But it's senseless to put in that big of an inverter/charger if your not going to utilize the features. With this big of an inverter it would be wise to add 2 more house batteries also. Without a doubt the cheapest and easiest way to power just the refrigerator is with your original plan. That aside, I will say having a big inverter is great. It's nice not having to start a generator for simple things like making coffee or microwaving something quick, and watching TV.

My MH came factory equipped with an 2000 watt inverter/charger. I'll attach pics of the electrical panels they installed. It'll give you some idea of what you'll need.

And yes your BIRD will work just fine with this system.
That helps thanks. I was under the impression that my converter charges the batteries and sends power to my DC items. Will removing the converter and installing the inverter/charger still power all my DC items correctly?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
That helps thanks. I was under the impression that my converter charges the batteries and sends power to my DC items. Will removing the converter and installing the inverter/charger still power all my DC items correctly?
Yes the inverter/charger will operate all your DC items just like the converter does.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Yes the inverter/charger will operate all your DC items just like the converter does.
Alrighty then. I'll start identifying all the components involved to get more familiar and check out the access and give replacing the converter some thought. I'm not opposed to going to a 4 battery system.

Tags
converter, inverter