Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile IOTA converter/chargers

I have an IOTA converter/charger. Over the years I have kinda wondered exactly what it does in terms of multi-stage charging-The answer is, two stages. To get this answer, I went to the IOTA website, and looked up the model I have, (still the same model after 8 years). At any rate, I discovered they make a multi-stage controller that plugs into my existing charger. It operates at 4 different stages. It is made for the DLS line of converters (any amp rating). I have found it on-line, at two different locations for under $31, so will be ordering one. Some of you may have the same converter, and may be interested. The item is an "IQ4 Smart Controller". Note, some IOTA converters come with this feature built in, in which case you have a blinking LED. I am not making a reccomendation as to where to order, as I have not done so yet, and therefore have no experience with either site.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure if it needs to be used never had any charging problems for any of the coach's I have owned.
Not sure it might interfere with the Bird charging system which also charges the engine chassis battery.
I only have two AGM's for house batteries and they have worked fine even dry camping and recharged from my IOTA or alternator.
The controller has a boost charge for depleted batteries what the boost will do through the Bird who knows.
The Bird normally will charge the house batteries first than switch to chassis battery when they reach full charge. The system will work in reverse when the alternator is operating.
If you have wet cells may help with water depletion.
Controller info.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1430104]Not sure if it needs to be used never had any charging problems for any of the coach's I have owned.
Not sure it might interfere with the [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/house-battery-duration-139704.html#post1336912
Bird charging system[/URL][/B] which also charges the engine chassis battery.
I only have two AGM's for house batteries and they have worked fine even dry camping and recharged from my IOTA or alternator.
The controller has a boost charge for depleted batteries what the boost will do through the Bird who knows.
The Bird normally will charge the house batteries first than switch to chassis battery when they reach full charge. The system will work in reverse when the alternator is operating.
If you have wet cells may help with water depletion.
Controller info.
It should not make any difference to the BiRD. Each of the voltages are above the trigger point (13.1 volts) for it. i.e. The BiRD will keep the chassis battery connected to the charging circuit all the time. I have historically disconnected the house batteries with the switch when in storage at home, so that the batteries do not overcharge. After I repaired my BiRD, and got the wiring associated with it corrected, that also disconnects the chassis battery from the charger, because the BiRD (when wired properly)is sensing the voltage on the house batteries. My intent, when I get this controller, is leave everything connected when parked at home. (it is plugged in all the time). The coil in the original solonoid was a 12 volt coil, and it failed, I replaced it with a coil rated for 14 volts, continious duty.
This coil, as well as the original, pulls about 1 amp, when energized. So, with leaving it energized, you are using 12-14 watts all the time, but it does that with the basic IOTA converter also.
The one thing I may do different, is to run a cable directly from the charger, to the house batteries, with a manual isolation switch. The reason, is that my charger is all the way at the back, the house batteries are on the opposite side, behind the rear wheel well. The switching, etc is in front. So there is at least a 70 ft cable run from the charger, to the house batteries. The wire from the charger is small, probably 12 gauge. I have checked and found when bulk charging is occurring, there is a 1.5 volt drop between the charger, and the batteries. So, it takes a lot longer to charge!. If I do that, I will throw the chassis disconnect switch, when in storage. That will take the BiRD out of the loop, as it will not then see the voltage from the charger. I have found, the small solar charger on the roof, keeps my engine battery up pretty well.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the explaination PK.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I added the iq4 smart controller about 3 years ago. Should have got one sooner. Prior to the iq4 there was lots of outgassing from the batteries and corrosion in the battery bay. After the iq4 there was much less outgassing, reduced corrosion, and much less water needed for the batteries.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also added the IQ4 shortly after I got my coach. Like Brigadoon, I have had excellent luck with it and haven't had to add battery water in over two years. It provides true four-stage charging capability and is a must add-on to a standard Iota converter. Easy plug and play install.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Terry and Dave

You have told me what I hope to be the case. I will be replacing my batteries this spring, and will need to pull the tray complety out and repair and recoat it, due to the outgassing. That is even though, for the most part I left the batteries disconnected when parked at home.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced my two 6 volts with two 12 volt AGM's have a nice clean tray now.