RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Iota ITS-50A Switch Box

while on my way home from BBBBBQ in Fayetteville AR. yesterday we all of the sudden lost all generator power in the RV. but the generator was still running so I pulled over and noticed that my Iota ITS-50A Transfer Switch Box had a hot spot on it and after popping the cover there were several wires that were toast. so my question is what could of caused it? after reading some post I've seen some that say its not all that uncommon with this box and that's why they no longer make them. I also know to look for loose connections that could caused this. My next questions is what would you replace it with? Thanks for any help you can give, I'm new to RVing and have a lot to learn.Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Switch Box.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	75330

lejamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lejamjr,
Because the incident took place with the generator running, I'd bet on loose wires being the cause. When on generator power, the TS is in the normally open position and not energized. It was just setting there. I can not help on what to replace it with. Mine is the same as yours and 9 years old and going strong. Consider googling "50 amp transfer switch" there will be many choices. One could also contact Newmar and determine what they are using.

Something to consider for the future is to ensure all high draw appliances are off before connecting to shore power or starting the generator.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have read about and seen too many IOTA Transfer Switch boxes that all look the same.

I will NOT recommend IOTA and would suggest to anyone that has one to replace it. Monaco had a recall for all IOTA Transfer Switches a few years ago.

Before IOTA, these boxes were being built by TODD Engineering. TODD Engineering went out of business due to bankruptcy as they could not afford to pay off all of the damage claims from the fires RVer's had with their transfer switch.

The guys from TODD started another company called IOTA. They attempted to build transfer switches but had the same problem, DUH! So now they quit making transfer switches altogether. YEAH! Any ones you still find for sale are old inventory.

My suggestion is to replace it with an ESCO transfer switch model LPT50BRD 50 amp model.

LYGHT POWER LPT50BRD

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Met a fellow rver the other day with the same model as mine. His 08 HR Endeavor had a fire in the transfer panel. You can still smell the smoke when opening the cabinet. Guess I will look at replacing mine. Can't remember the model of his new one but it was physically larger.

Loose connections or light weight contacts could contribute to the issue.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I too suspect a loose wire.

When I bought my DSDP, a friend suggested removing all power from the rig and check the 120v connections.

There were several loose connections in the transfer switch and the breaker panel.

Not falling apart loose, but not tight and that can be all that's needed to cause overheating.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My IOTA went up in smoke too. I replaced it with the one Dr4Film recommended. No problems since.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco replaced mine under warranty and the unit they installed was by
Surge Guard Model 41260. The unit does provide surge protection and is only lacking the over/under voltage protection. If you don't have a separate surge protection system such as EMS-HW50C unit from Progressive Industries you might be able to kill two birds with one stone. If you wanted the added protection of over/under Model 40250 has that as well but its pricey, around $600 I believe.

Model 41260 with RV Power Protection
120/240V, 50A, 60 Hz

• Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
  • Provides the following protection:
    • Open neutral
    • Reverse polarity
  • Time delay at power up (Shore 3-4 sec., Generator 30 sec.)
  • Mechanical interlocking contactors.
  • UL Approved ATS – full transfer switch rating, UL1008, (not general control).
  • Provides surge protection.
  • Multi-mode surge suppression.
  • Contactor Rating 50A, FLA.
  • 2600 Joules at 76,400 Amps.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Monaco replaced mine under warranty and the unit they installed was by
Surge Guard Model 41260. The unit does provide surge protection and is only lacking the over/under voltage protection. If you don't have a separate surge protection system such as EMS-HW50C unit from Progressive Industries you might be able to kill two birds with one stone. If you wanted the added protection of over/under Model 40250 has that as well but its pricey, around $600 I believe.

Model 41260 with RV Power Protection
120/240V, 50A, 60 Hz

• Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
  • Provides the following protection:
    Open neutral
    Reverse polarity
  • Time delay at power up (Shore 3-4 sec., Generator 30 sec.)
  • Mechanical interlocking contactors.
  • UL Approved ATS full transfer switch rating, UL1008, (not general control).
  • Provides surge protection.
  • Multi-mode surge suppression.
  • Contactor Rating 50A, FLA.
  • 2600 Joules at 76,400 Amps.
Ken,

Surge Guard says not to mount the cover face down. I assume your IOTA was mounted face down (like mine is) and your Surge Guard is mounted vertically on the bulkhead? If so, do you know if they had to add another junction box or replace wiring to get the extra length required to reach the SG in the new location on the bulkhead?

I was looking at the 41260 but really wanted to mount it in the same locations as the IOTA.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yes mounted on the bulkhead. Think they used wiring from old IOTA to new box then added new wiring from Surge Guard unit to inverter. Not positive on this but they did not add a junction box.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar is currently using Progressive Industries transfer switch for the standard line coaches. A Surge Guard combo unit of transfer switch and surge protector is being used for the luxury (Aire) line of coaches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #11

Have and like the Progressive Ind surge protector; switched out the Iota x-fer with a Lyght 6-7 years ago and have had no problems since. Do need to check all your 120v connections every couple of years or so.....Sidebar--checked the Iota once and found that the lug had gotten loose and welded itself inplace--couldnt get the lug any tighter [welded] but the wire was still loose in the connection.
PS--if you do it yourself, its a bugger to get all the fine copper wires in the 50 amp RV cable into the lug....so take your time....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have read about and seen too many IOTA Transfer Switch boxes that all look the same.

I will NOT recommend IOTA and would suggest to anyone that has one to replace it. Monaco had a recall for all IOTA Transfer Switches a few years ago.

Before IOTA, these boxes were being built by TODD Engineering. TODD Engineering went out of business due to bankruptcy as they could not afford to pay off all of the damage claims from the fires RVer's had with their transfer switch.

The guys from TODD started another company called IOTA. They attempted to build transfer switches but had the same problem, DUH! So now they quit making transfer switches altogether. YEAH! Any ones you still find for sale are old inventory.

My suggestion is to replace it with an ESCO transfer switch model LPT50BRD 50 amp model.

LYGHT POWER LPT50BRD

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Iam looking for one now, thanks for the help
lejamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my coach was constructed Damon was infactated with Intelletec,

They too make a 50 amp transfer switch

Due, I suspect, to a lack of understanding on my part the original got toasted under warranty and was replaced (Summer 2005) the replacement is still operating trouble free.

The error on my part.

When changing from SHORE to Generator power (Which I should do this week) TURN OFF EVERYTHING for 1 minute, and air conditioners for 3 BEFORE starting generator,, and do not turn back on till genny kicks in.

When switching back.. Same process
Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2003 Scottsdale 3456 with the IOTA. Having read some of these issues last spring I opened the box ( unplugged!) And was able to tighten all connections by 1/2 to 1 full turn. The same was true with the panel in the bedroom. I will do this every spring. I have had no issues.