Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Is the Dutch star 37** over powered?

Heard this in passing at Hershey, not necessarily related to the Dutch star. I see the Ventana of similar length is fitted with a Cummins 360 hp vs the 450 in the Dutch star's. Looking for comments from those in the know.
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
Community Moderator

[emoji23] no such thing as too much power !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
[emoji23] no such thing as too much power !
X2!
Old 10-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #4

I take an overpowered ove an underpowered any day

Zzotte
Old 10-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #5

IIRC one of the complaints on the early New Aires was that they were underpowered. The 450 ISL took care of that.

The GVWR of the Ventana is only around a ton less than the DS in the 37' models, so my question would be if that 360 ISB is enough?
Old 10-02-2022, 11:03 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Well a couple owners of larger Dutch Stars weighing in. Anyone owning or have owned the shorter models want to weigh in? Also Ventana owners, what say you about possibly being underpowered with the 360? More power would seem to be a no brainer, who wouldn't want more... until you get to the diesel pump.
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmission View Post
Well who wouldn't want more... until you get to the diesel pump.

Interesting thing about Diesel engines….. the bigger engines get about the same mpg with same weight and speed. They inject less fuel into the larger cylinders to achieve same horsepower. Problem is if you are tempted to always go faster, then you burn more fuel.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:59 AM   #8

MY 2020 Kountry Star has the 360 and Allison 3000 combo and frankly it's embarrassing on hills. I could cruise at 80-90 on the flats if I wanted to (no I don't do that just saying it could so hold the flames!), but hill climbing is pitiful with no toad, and even worse with one. I just put the flashers on as I drop below 45mph and wait it out.

I have a serious case of 625hp Newell envy!

Scott
Old 10-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #9

I always liked the 35ft NewAire and 37ft DS but their towing rating is pathetic.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #10

Ventana 3412 here. We love our coach and it’s small size, but it is indeed under powered. The 450/1250 would be perfect in here. However, we average about 9 miles per gallon and sometimes will get 10 on a trip. I’ve seen some people post that they are only getting between six and eight with the bigger motors.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:41 PM   #11

Just picked up our ‘14 DS 3736 yesterday. It has the same 450hp engine that was in my previous 43 ft with tag axle. Big difference in acceleration. Overpowered? Definitely not!
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:53 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
I have talked with several Ventana owners over the past few years and the one comment (complaint) I have heard repeatedly was that they wished it had more power. I know if I had a choice I would always take more power over the smaller engine. I speak from experience because my father bought a class A back in the 70s (gas) that I used a couple times that was underpowered. It was so bad that I offered to do an engine swap for him but he refused. I decided back then that there is no such thing as to much power when it comes to motorhomes or anything towing a RV.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
I always liked the 35ft NewAire and 37ft DS but their towing rating is pathetic.

Not sure I understand that. I tow either an F150 King Ranch pickup or a Lincoln MKX and am well within the tow ratings and pull either as fast as I want. Please explain because my hitch has a 10k tow rating.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #14

Newmar website they are only rated at 5k towing capacity. I would be happy at 10k as I want to pull an enclosed trailer for my cars. I would prefer a smaller single bath coach
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, power