Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Is the ride of a newer Newmar noticeably better than other RVs?

Hi,

I own a 2016 Holiday Rambler XE 35E with about 45,000 miles on it. We've owned it for a little over a year and put about 17,000 miles on it.

Overall, we're quite happy with the RV but wish it rode better. I have a list of compaints, many of which I realize are the nature of the beast.

When we bought our RV we bought it for the compromise of price and quality and felt it was an acceptable compromise. We could have gone with a more expensive unit but didn't feel it necessary for the interior furnishings, features, or layout.

So, what I'm wondering is, would a higher-end RV resolve some of our ride complaints? None of these complaints are show-stoppers, but we're using it enough that I'm left to wonder if we'd be better served by a higher-end unit.

My complaints are:
  • Noise, it's quite loud going down the road with a huge portion of that noise being various squeeks and rattles
  • Heat, in warm climates, even with the generator running, the dash air and both 15k BTU roof units on, the RV gets well into the 80s
  • Power - this is probably the easiest, we have a 340hp Cummins ISB, I wish it had a little more grunt up the hills etc.

Noise and smoothnees are really the biggest issues. I'd love to hear from others who might have been through similar circumstances. My current RV wasn't cheap, but obviously not the level of a Newmar. But, it's a Freightliner chasis, is there really that big a difference between ours and better RVs?

Thanks for any opinions!
Ben
haveaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #2

Are you talking about the F53 chassis? 2016 was a year of improvement for the F53 chassis. Remember that your 2016 coach probably has a 2015 chassis. The 2016 and up F53 chassis also has the 6 speed transmission which makes a nice difference in drivability and engine noise. The 21 and up F53 chassis equipped coaches will have the 7.3 V8 which operates in a slightly lower RPM range and is supposed to be a bit quieter but I think the jury is still out on that.
EDIT - OOPS - Just saw that you are talking diesel chassis... disregard and good luck!
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

Is the ride of a newer Newmar noticeably better than other RVs?

Well I can’t compare directly to your unit, but based upon your descriptions, I can say that our 2013 DutchStar has no problem keeping cool with just dash air and one roof air. Double pane windows and better insulation are the chief contributors I expect.

The 450HP ISL engine provides plenty of power and don’t hear the engine at all unless in a tunnel.

The tag axle makes it go straight as an arrow..... and the “comfort drive” feature makes the wheel easy to steer with one pinky finger if you choose to dial the effort down that low.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Our Kountry Star is our first Class A and our first diesel pusher. So I cannot offer a comparison but can give you my two cents.

Noise - I think it is super quiet with the engine in the rear. A few rattles when you hit a bump but that is all the stuff we put in it. We test drove Super C's with the diesel in the front and there is absolutely no comparison.

Air Conditioning when driving - The dash air is plenty to keep the two of us cool. We have never turned on the generator while driving just for roof AC.

Smooth - I am amazed how smooth it rides. It really feels like it is gliding down the highway.

We only have a 360 cummins for 34,000 lbs. I think we get plenty of acceleration on flat roads. Climbing steep grades might get down to 30mph but that is what other trucks were doing around us. So I never had a thought that I needed more HP to go a few MPH faster up hill.

Sounds like a few test drives are in your future.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #5

I have a 2016 Ventana 3725 and it rides great. The previous owner did put Bilstein shocks on the front. The Comfort Steer that Newmar uses makes it almost as easy as driving your car. No problems with keeping it cool as Newmar has excellent insulation in their coaches. Unless it gets above 80 or 85 the dash air keeps us cool. If we need more cooling the front A/C supplies more than enough cool air. To answer your question upgrading to a Newmar would be a great improvement. When parked we will normally run both A/Cs especially in a high humidity area with temperatures in the mid 90s or higher. We have two 15K A/Cs.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Are you talking about the F53 chassis? 2016 was a year of improvement for the F53 chassis. Remember that your 2016 coach probably has a 2015 chassis. The 2016 and up F53 chassis also has the 6 speed transmission which makes a nice difference in drivability and engine noise. The 21 and up F53 chassis equipped coaches will have the 7.3 V8 which operates in a slightly lower RPM range and is supposed to be a bit quieter but I think the jury is still out on that.
EDIT - OOPS - Just saw that you are talking diesel chassis... disregard and good luck!
No he has a freightliner chassis so he is not talking about the things those of us who went with a gasser starting out and have been lucky enough to move up to a DP.

Not sure what he is expecting, but I went from an F53 to a Freightliner DP and after my first day heading for Mexico I wondered why I waited so long.

Holiday Rambler has always been one of the better brands. That's what my gasser was, but I went with Winnebago for my DP. I came inches from buying a HR Endeavor and would have if the seller would have accepted my offer.

Personally I think the pre 2008 units are a lot better than the newer ones, and I see just as many "how do I fix" posts on 2 year old coaches as on my 15 year old one.

I have a friend who has a 2006 Mountain Aire and I have ridden in it. It's a bit better on the interstate as he has a tag axel, not quite as much bounce. He keeps it up with annual trips to Spartan and Newmar and Blue Ox.

He drove mine and was impressed, and had the same feeling I said, the tag gives a little more stability but that's about it. Some of the new Newmars and for that mater a lot of the upper brands have so many gadgets and and drive trains that who knows.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's not so much brand as model and features. We drove many in our latest search and brand didn't make so much of a difference by itself. Our HR is smooth, quiet and cool. If you couldn't see out of the windshield, you wouldn't know you were in a moving RV on most roads. The co-pilot and I have no problem having a quiet conversation while moving. There is some truth to, "the more you weigh, the less you sway." I'll also say that the quality of the materials and the builder's attention to sound proofing and insulation will make a big difference with sound and heat gain.

Newmar is a great brand and newer ones are quiet and smooth also, but not all of them would be much improvement over what you have. If you're looking to upgrade, try a bunch of them and see for yourself if the extra juice is worth the squeeze.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #8

If you have a straight axle front end, moving to something with independent front will make a noticeable difference. 2nd thing will be tag axle if you go big enough to have one. I went from a 2012 Ventana LE 3862 (No tag, straight axle and no comfort drive) to a 2018 Dutchstar 4362. Night and day difference. Like going from driving an old dump truck to a new Pete. Best of luck.
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you need to drive or ride in others. it could be you have to much air in the tires. or It could be your just use to the quality ride of a good automobile. Frightliners and Spartans both for years have had good rides, but its on a bus or truck chassis. you hit a good size bump you know it. But the Frightliners and Spartans have better rides then many other class A's.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
It's not so much brand as model and features. We drove many in our latest search and brand didn't make so much of a difference by itself. Our HR is smooth, quiet and cool. If you couldn't see out of the windshield, you wouldn't know you were in a moving RV on most roads. The co-pilot and I have no problem having a quiet conversation while moving. There is some truth to, "the more you weigh, the less you sway." I'll also say that the quality of the materials and the builder's attention to sound proofing and insulation will make a big difference with sound and heat gain.

Newmar is a great brand and newer ones are quiet and smooth also, but not all of them would be much improvement over what you have. If you're looking to upgrade, try a bunch of them and see for yourself if the extra juice is worth the squeeze.
Thanks for that. I plan to do just that, drive a bunch and try and find a ride we're looking for. There's nothing wrong with the ride we have now but I feel like it could be better. I also have an absolute ton of squeaks in dash and plastic covers around the windshield. I think the noise coming from all of that really adds to the impression of a noisy ride. I'm going to see if I can pull the dash up and get some squeak tape under it.

-Ben
haveaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveaday View Post
Hi,

I own a 2016 Holiday Rambler XE 35E with about 45,000 miles on it. We've owned it for a little over a year and put about 17,000 miles on it.

Overall, we're quite happy with the RV but wish it rode better. I have a list of compaints, many of which I realize are the nature of the beast.

When we bought our RV we bought it for the compromise of price and quality and felt it was an acceptable compromise. We could have gone with a more expensive unit but didn't feel it necessary for the interior furnishings, features, or layout.

So, what I'm wondering is, would a higher-end RV resolve some of our ride complaints? None of these complaints are show-stoppers, but we're using it enough that I'm left to wonder if we'd be better served by a higher-end unit.

My complaints are:
  • Noise, it's quite loud going down the road with a huge portion of that noise being various squeeks and rattles
  • Heat, in warm climates, even with the generator running, the dash air and both 15k BTU roof units on, the RV gets well into the 80s
  • Power - this is probably the easiest, we have a 340hp Cummins ISB, I wish it had a little more grunt up the hills etc.

Noise and smoothness are really the biggest issues. I'd love to hear from others who might have been through similar circumstances. My current RV wasn't cheap, but obviously not the level of a Newmar. But, it's a Freightliner chasis, is there really that big a difference between ours and better RVs?

Thanks for any opinions!
Ben
You're not going to solve all your issues by changing coaches. If you take your current coach down a smooth road, it's just fine. In a DP, on a smooth road, it will seem like it's gliding down the road, but on a rough road, you're still going to feel the potholes. It won't be like going from a VW bug to limousine, but somewhere in between.

As in any motor home, if you don't run down the squeaks and rattles as they develop, it's going to become noisy. Ours is reasonably quiet, but we do hear things and I have my wife chase them down.

We live in California and during the summer months, we can be driving in 105 degree weather. Our dash A/C will keep up until about 1:00pm and then we need to run the roof A/C. Your current coach has pretty much the same compressor and automotive A/C system as my my Dutch Star. The insulation is probably better in mine, but all coaches get hot (heat soak) when being driven all day. On a 105 degree day, we can keep it manageable, but not cold as we get toward the later afternoon, like 3:00pm to 4:00pm.

In regards to power, it's all relative. Your ISB may pull just as well as my 450 ISL, because of weight differences. I had the 400 ISL in a 32000 pound Monaco Diplomat, that was a rocket, even pulling a full size, 4500 pound, truck. It could pull any grade out west at 55+ mph. Fast forward, my 450 ISL, in my 2019 Dutch Star, 42000 pounds, towing a 6100 pound truck, drops down to 45 on most grades and 37 on 7% grades.

I love my diesel pusher, but sometimes I feel that people may "overstate" the ride a little. Most days it's a smooth ride, but on some California roads, you can get beat to death.

One thing I do like that only Newmar offers, is the Comfort Drive, those without will say they test drove one with CD and it was no big deal. It often won't show it's advantages in just a test drive. It's at the end of the day, when you realize, you're not exhausted after driving 8 hours. I've literally pulled in to get fuel, opened the coach door, and found the wind was howling, but with my tag axle and Comfort Drive, I didn't even know it was blowing that hard.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
One thing I do like that only Newmar offers, is the Comfort Drive, those without will say they test drove one with CD and it was no big deal. It often won't show it's advantages in just a test drive. It's at the end of the day, when you realize, you're not exhausted after driving 8 hours. I've literally pulled in to get fuel, opened the coach door, and found the wind was howling, but with my tag axle and Comfort Drive, I didn't even know it was blowing that hard.
Times 2...

Comfort Drive is night and day different then without it. My 02 Dutch Star was totaling exhausting after a few hours of driving. Comfort Drive... as easy as one finger on the wheel if you wanted to. And the TAG holds the coach steady in the wind or when passing other vehicles.
Dutchstar411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Okay, I’m going to get hate mail about this but everyone is entitled to an opinion, including me…..

Our motorhome No1-1995 Holiday Rambler diesel on Oshkosh chassis. Nice RV. Ride like a school bus.

Motorhome No2 - 2003 Monaco Diplomat 40 ft - 8 airbags made a huge difference. Solid front axle still was rough.

Motorhome No3 - 2013 Entegra Aspire. 45 ft tag axle. Wow, what a difference a tag makes in handling. Solid front axle. Still bouncy on the front and rough on rutted roads.

Motorhome No4 - 2014 Entegra Anthem. 45 ft tag axle. Wow, wow. Independent front suspension. Handles with two fingers.

Motorhome No5 - 2021 DutchStar. 44 ft tag w Independent front suspension. Drives very sedate. Like a big sedan…….now the hate mail……Comfort Drive…..I don’t think it makes a lot of difference. I’ve driven motorhomes over 150,000 miles and Comfort Drive is nice but I wouldn’t pay a lot of money for it. The tag axle and air drive is what makes it nice.

My favorite are those 38-40ft tag axle MHs like Newmar’s and Country Coaches. IMHO
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Okay, I’m going to get hate mail about this but everyone is entitled to an opinion, including me…..

Our motorhome No1-1995 Holiday Rambler diesel on Oshkosh chassis. Nice RV. Ride like a school bus.

Motorhome No2 - 2003 Monaco Diplomat 40 ft - 8 airbags made a huge difference. Solid front axle still was rough.

Motorhome No3 - 2013 Entegra Aspire. 45 ft tag axle. Wow, what a difference a tag makes in handling. Solid front axle. Still bouncy on the front and rough on rutted roads.

Motorhome No4 - 2014 Entegra Anthem. 45 ft tag axle. Wow, wow. Independent front suspension. Handles with two fingers.

Motorhome No5 - 2021 DutchStar. 44 ft tag w Independent front suspension. Drives very sedate. Like a big sedan…….now the hate mail……Comfort Drive…..I don’t think it makes a lot of difference. I’ve driven motorhomes over 150,000 miles and Comfort Drive is nice but I wouldn’t pay a lot of money for it. The tag axle and air drive is what makes it nice.

My favorite are those 38-40ft tag axle MHs like Newmar’s and Country Coaches. IMHO
Ok why Entegra Anthem to a NEWMAR DS?

Tags
newmar, rvs