Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Is there a splitter for exterior campground cable input?

I can get the cable from the campground to work with the Televator TV but not on any of the other three. Where is or is there a splitter for this?

2015 Dutch Star 2018

Thanks
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

Do you have a "Box of Buttons" where you select which cable source goes to which TV? Typically in the front overhead compartments.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Do you have a "Box of Buttons" where you select which cable source goes to which TV? Typically in the front overhead compartments.
Not like what we used to have in our 2002 Dutch Star. I wish it was that easy. I do have the cable inlet in our power reel storage similar to our previous 02 Dutch Star but thats where it ends. Hopefully there is a splitter location I can connect the other tv's to.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
In my basement on the back wall there is a splitter with one in and three out. All my tvs are connected to a coax cable but only the televader works with the coax. Must be another splitter somewhere else.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #5

On ours, the bedroom tv gets all the channels, the televator some, the one above the dash only a few, it think the outside one is about the same as the televator.
I found a splitter under the sink, way back near the slideout wall. Instead of a 2 way, they used a 4 way and didn't terminate the unused 2. I put terminator caps on those and it helped. But, somewhere there must be another 1 or 2 splitters that I haven't found.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #6

My '04 DSDP has a splitter in the compartment with the inverter. I was having issues with trying to use the outside cable connection for my Wally Dish and it was a crap shoot. The splitter had a built in 10db pad and was dropping signal. I bypassed it and that helped. Didn't cure the problem totally but it did help. I don't use the cable input for regular TV anyway so repurposing it was the best option.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our front TV and bedroom TV are the same brand, but operate slightly different. The front one, you just go into the menu and "Find channels" regardless of the input. The bedroom TV, you have to choose "cable" or "over the air" and then do the find channels.

Last week, I happened to remove the plastic cover at the top of the pegboard in the compartment, below the kitchen slide (passenger side) and there was a splitter for coax cable. The coax cable connection is in the shore power compartment.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does anyone know where the "Box of Buttons" are on a 2017 DS or can you use cable if you have a satellite box installed?
Arty1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two recommendations; which came from a friend with a Ventana.

First; signal loss occurs through and "open end" on a splitter, so place a cap over it. And more important; the "gold plated" splitters have a better connection & little, if any, signal loss. Example below:

https://www.amazon.com/ANTOP-Antenna...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Termi...4948654&sr=8-1

Second; most TV's today must have channels programmed into them.
Go to "broadcast" (or similar), channel scan, select cable (or OTA or Satellite), then scan. It will scan & place the channels into memory, & you should be good to go
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty1313 View Post
Does anyone know where the "Box of Buttons" are on a 2017 DS or can you use cable if you have a satellite box installed?
No "Box of Buttons" on new coaches.... you select the input mode on the TV menu. Yes, you can use cable with satellite. Just select the input mode you want on the TV. Also, make sure the over the air antenna booster switch is in the off position if you are viewing on cable. The boost switch on our '13 DS is right behind the passenger seat in a very awkward are to access. Great thinking Newmar ! I hope newer ones are better located so you don't have to be a contortionist to switch it .
Old 03-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I haven’t traced the coax...but if I had to guess...

From your CABLE input in the cord reel bay...it travels to the Wineguard antenna booster panel. Then goes into the basement to the splitter... from that splitter...it goes to the different TVs.... Televator, Bedroom, (opt) Front Overhead, (opt) Outdoor, and a basement connection, next to HDMI port. If one TV works...I think most of the run is good...just individual coax from splitter to TVs. Also check INPUT selection on TVs... I have a coax tester...but I just used it to map my optional Carryout Dish cables so I could label them. I actually haven’t deployed my Carryout dish...but use the bedroom run frequently to carry the signal from the antenna to amplifier on my WeBoost RV65.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I haven’t traced the coax...but if I had to guess...

From your CABLE input in the cord reel bay...it travels to the Wineguard antenna booster panel. Then goes into the basement to the splitter... from that splitter...it goes to the different TVs.... Televator, Bedroom, (opt) Front Overhead, (opt) Outdoor, and a basement connection, next to HDMI port. If one TV works...I think most of the run is good...just individual coax from splitter to TVs. Also check INPUT selection on TVs... I have a coax tester...but I just used it to map my optional Carryout Dish cables so I could label them. I actually haven’t deployed my Carryout dish...but use the bedroom run frequently to carry the signal from the antenna to amplifier on my WeBoost RV65.
Thanks for that. Where is the Wineguard antenna booster panel? I have an HD antenna on the roof that needs to be off in order to show the campground feed into my Televator TV. ALL TV's are set properly for shore cable input but only one works. My three interior TV's are all Sony's and work the same. My Outdoor TV was changed by me to a Vizio for fit purposes once I changed out the Wall Mount Bracket to extend to 90 degree turns for front and rear viewing while outside. There is a three way splitter on the basement wall that I found. I was told that there might be a splitter under the kitchen sink which there IS NOT. So somewhere from the cable input there is another splitter, like you mentioned, maybe where the HD antenna input is.

Also roof mount HD antenna works on ALL TV's so the coax cable runs are good, at least for the HD antenna.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Thanks for that. Where is the Wineguard antenna booster panel? I have an HD antenna on the roof that needs to be off in order to show the campground feed into my Televator TV. ALL TV's are set properly for shore cable input but only one works. My three interior TV's are all Sony's and work the same. My Outdoor TV was changed by me to a Vizio for fit purposes once I changed out the Wall Mount Bracket to extend to 90 degree turns for front and rear viewing while outside. There is a three way splitter on the basement wall that I found. I was told that there might be a splitter under the kitchen sink which there IS NOT. So somewhere from the cable input there is another splitter, like you mentioned, maybe where the HD antenna input is.

Also roof mount HD antenna works on ALL TV's so the coax cable runs are good, at least for the HD antenna.
I think we are probably different in that regard. I have the Winegard batwing crank-up antenna. My booster is on the sidewall, close to the floor, behind the passenger seat. Your electronic winegard...may be the same as the switch you flip to select OTA antenna vs Cable.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your HDTV antenna is a Rayzar...it is still very similar. The panel with the switch is a meeting point. Antenna IN+ 12vdc + cable IN + TV OUT all meet there. The TV out should go to the splitter in the basement...then branch out to every TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6E5051D-DA60-4475-8699-05BA6D9C3248.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	320206  

Tags
cable, campground