Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
After all this Newmar should provide you with their factory pickup service at no cost to you...fly there and pick it up yourself. Pretty obvious the dealer can not be trusted.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
After all this Newmar should provide you with their factory pickup service at no cost to you...fly there and pick it up yourself. Pretty obvious the dealer can not be trusted.
I read through the entire thread and was going to suggest the above, if someone hadn't already mentioned it. I would tell them that this is the only way you'll know for sure that it's ready. It sounds a lot like DiMartini may have had some involvement. There are area reps that the dealers deal with and should know where the coach was at any given time.

When we ordered ours, our dealer said he only used certain delivery companies. At the time, I though that was weird and that anyone Newmar used would do a good job. Apparently not. Ours was due on November 6th and it arrived the morning of November 6th.

Good luck with resolving this. Don't let it ruin your experience.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #17

I hope you talk to Newmar soon. I feel the dealer left you down. He shouldn't have waited so long to start action when it started being delayed.

To answer your question.... no, it's not typical. Good luck!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
I agree, and Newmar should pick up the flight cost too! They will save the transportation cost, and driving time it would take to drive the MH all the way out to Ca. You will get everything taken care of at the factory, that you find that needs addressed, and who better to fix the little issues that you find! I would be on the phone to Newmar, ASAP! Good Luck! Rail!
Old 03-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I find it interesting that I can order a five dollar widget from China and can track it through every shipping/transfer spot in real time until it is delivered to my door.

A quarter million dollar motorhome and nobody knows where it is at any given time.....

Interesting.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:08 AM   #20
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Ok. Not sure Newmar had anything to do with the dealers promise of delivery date.

On my second Newmar now.

My first dealer lied out their ... other than the few, and I mean few reputable dealers out there, the others will misrepresent (lie) to you just to shut you up.

Think sleazy used car dealers, then assume they are their demonic off spring. There are your 95% RV dealers.

Now that said, Newmar is better than most for covering for these folks. But they can’t do miracles. Call Newmar to get the straight truth.

My experience is that once you order your coach, only talk to Newmar about the coach’s build progress. You dealer has their money and has forgotten your name. Deal with Newmar from there on out.

Yes there are some dealers you can work with after the sale. Check the archives and you will find the 3-4 that exist. Warning: your’s is not one of them.

Oh and warranty work, looks like you will need to go back to factory given your dealers rep. Maybe they will step up but I wouldn’t trust them now.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #21

We purchased a new RV (trailer) back in 2007 that was ordered from the factory and a used one last year. Both dealers were less than honest when it came to delivery and taking care of issues. My impression of the RV business is that is the normal.

If I were buying a new Newmar I would go to the factory to take delivery, stay in a park near by for a few days to sort out issues. You will get the problems fixed by the experts.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:41 AM   #22

Can you chang to a factory pickup???? Ask !!!!!!
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
For all future readers of this, planning your move out date around your new RV pickup date is just a bad idea. Has no one read the stories of bad PDI's and waiting weeks to resolve issues before accepting delivery. Just canceling the purchase is often a complex legal wrangling if you want your deposit back. By scheduling around delivery you are really almost forcing yourself to take delivery regardless of the condition of the coach and it will make getting things fixed exponentially more difficult. I realize the OP has already made his bed and best wishes to him for everything to work out.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:38 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
For all future readers of this, planning your move out date around your new RV pickup date is just a bad idea. Has no one read the stories of bad PDI's and waiting weeks to resolve issues before accepting delivery. Just canceling the purchase is often a complex legal wrangling if you want your deposit back. By scheduling around delivery you are really almost forcing yourself to take delivery regardless of the condition of the coach and it will make getting things fixed exponentially more difficult. I realize the OP has already made his bed and best wishes to him for everything to work out.
Yes, though sometimes you have no choice. Our lease was up. We had wanted to extend through end of April but couldn't. In retrospect for our specific circumstances it would have been better to move out *first*, putting stuff in storage. We could than have headed out on an extended, flexible roadtrip in our car until the RV was ready. What made this so stressful was the combination of a very firm date on our calendar (move out date) and being lied to every 2-3 days for 2+ weeks. If we'd already moved out, we could use this delay for fun.

No doubt, given how this has gone so far, we will have the PDI-from-hell. At least my expectations are reset now, and once we've moved out, we are free from deadlines.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #25

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I find it interesting that I can order a five dollar widget from China and can track it through every shipping/transfer spot in real time until it is delivered to my door.

A quarter million dollar motorhome and nobody knows where it is at any given time.....

Interesting.
Well said!
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #26

Spartan Chassis
System broken

The whole RV delivery system has been flawed for a long time but the past few years it has become broken. A friend who use to haul RVs said there are too many RVs and too few drivers. Some of the larger dealerships have resorted to hiring their own drivers for factory pick up while smaller ones are telling manufacturers which transport company they want. The only way it's going to change is for the dealerships to forces it but too many don't care. That's one more reason why I am becoming a true believer in the factory pick up option.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Update: Newmar called and apologized. Offered a financial compensation. RV is on the road with a Newmar driver. Dealer called later to say exactly where it is and that they expect it Friday.

We didn't ask for FPU because it was already en route and anyway, we are still pondering if we even want it now. In the meantime we are on our way home. What a trip!
Old 03-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I have a bit too much ADD to have read every word but got the gist. Glad it's at least on it's way! Are you thinking of completely bagging the full time RV idea or just having second thoughts about this particular RV? If you're still good with your decision to go full timing then why not take delivery? Another motor home order could just bring on another set of problems, as the majority opinion seems to be that all nearly dealers are sleezebags. After three years of almost full timing I've come to one conclusion; if you can't roll with the punches, it's not going to be a lot of fun! Hope all goes well for you no matter what you decide.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote