Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Unhappy Is this a typical start to RV ownership?

We were so excited to be taking ownership of our 2020 Canyon Star 3927 and embarking on a full-time RV life.

Our dealer let us know in February that our RV was out of the factory early and was leaving for CA on February 24th. So on March 1st we set out to drive down to Grass Valley, with the understanding the RV would be ready for us to drive away on March 5th.

On March 3rd (only after we called the dealer to check) we found out it had only left Indiana the day before and was expected on Wednesday 5th, so wouldn't be ready till Friday at best. Wish we'd known that earlier, but OK! On Thursday 6th, we got the update that it had only reached Eastern Wyoming, so dealer expected it late Friday. Nothing on Friday. Today, Monday March 9th we learn it never left Indiana. It's still sitting there at the delivery company. Dealer says delivery company has been lying the whole time. Newmar supposedly is going to take the coach back from that company and deliver it themselves. But also, supposedly, Newmar was going to call us personally to apologize for all this. Crickets.

It would be frustrating anyway, but it's become a tangle of problems. We will be full-timing, and have to be out of our house in Seattle by March 25th. At this rate, we can't trust that the RV will arrive in time to get back for that date. So do we drive back home empty handed, clear out the house, and then sit around homeless for a while? Or do we just say this is a sign that this isn't meant to be and just walk away from the purchase?

Everyone says Newmar has the best customer service, but we haven't seen one scrap of it.

Sorry that my first post on this forum is such a rant, but I'm beside myself with frustration and disappointment!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #2

Understandable that your upset. I would be too given the situation. But, on the flip side, your schedule is tight, especially for a new RV, and full time to boot. You really need some time for the transition. What if the RV has a few or many issues ? My vote is to find some short term rental so you don't have to rush and get frustrated.
6 months from now it will be a good story to tell around the campfire.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

That's tough to handle when you have that deadline. Sounds like the transport company really goofed.
At this point, were it me, I would phone Newmar, say i am recording the conversation for accuracy purposes(required by law if you do) explain my situation and ask how they intend satisfy me.
Obviously this not your fault, nor Newmar's fault. Planning for the next 15 days is the focus. It should take no more than 5 days to drive from Indiana to California. Have you considered to monetary consequences of accepting delivery in California vs Washington? If that is a wash, or less money in WA, it would take the same driving time for the delivery driver-providing weather coperates.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. You're probably right--life is only interesting with stories, right? We weren't worried about the transition--we'd already gone from big house we owned to tiny rental, and we weren't planning to race across the country right away. So it just felt like an even tinier house, more than an adventure vehicle at first. Oh, and we've owned an RV before. But yeah, in retrospect, we wish we'd kept the rental another month. Though it's unfurnished at this point because our son took all the furniture
Old 03-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Ray. Good idea on saying we're recording the call.

Our dealer is saying it's not possible to change delivery location at this point because of dealer territories. Not sure if he's just trying to protect his commission or whether it's really impossible at this point.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #6

Go home and wait for the call from the dealer that it has arrived. If you need a place to stay try a hotel or family or friends. Seems rather simple to me.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Understandable that your upset. I would be too given the situation. But, on the flip side, your schedule is tight, especially for a new RV, and full time to boot. You really need some time for the transition. What if the RV has a few or many issues ? My vote is to find some short term rental so you don't have to rush and get frustrated.
6 months from now it will be a good story to tell around the campfire.
+1 - Being a new RV - I would be worried about issues found on the road. How much do you trust the RV dealer to find everything.

We have spent a least a week close to home "in the driveway" / at the dealer lot before hitting the road to make sure everything is working.

It's always harder to get thing fixed while on the road / spending the day in a dealers waiting area can be not the best.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Well true, it's not like trying to get to Mars. But it's not as simple as just "stay in a hotel". It will feel simpler, too, when steam isn't pouring out of my ears.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #9

Take a deep breath, RVing is not how fast you make it from point A to B. Transportation of an RV is not as cut and dried as ordering from Amazon. Your time table is way too tight and you need to leave some room for a through pre-check delivery from your dealer. Rush this process and you will be sorry all the way down the road. Give them time to prep it and then go and stay at the dealership for 3 or 4 days trying everything. Let them correct any issues you find before you drive it off their lot. Your gonna have some break in issues but most can be caught and fixed before you leave their place of business. Once your gone from the dealer, then your just another customer waiting inline for service.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that if we hadn't been explicitly told that the RV would be in Grass Valley by March 2nd, we would have been crazy optimistic on this timeline. But we only found on March 3rd that it hadn't left IN yet, and by then we were almost here. We were expecting to spend several days in\near Grass Valley getting to know our new home and working with the dealer to iron out the kinks before heading back to Seattle. We kept being told it was 2-3 days away, so it seemed worthwhile to wait. But now we are, indeed, at a too-tight-timeframe. So, new plan. We will head home tomorrow, clear out our mostly-furniture-free rental, and await a photo of our dealer standing next to the RV with a dated newspaper before heading back.

I truly know that with perspective this will all seem funny\ironic\interesting\stupid\naive\etc. I'm just not feeling it in this moment.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I feel for you, kinda takes the fun out of the whole experience. :(

Was there a hard delivery date in writing?

How about calling Newmar and asking to talk to a manager and explain the situation, see if they can deliver elsewhere....

Sometimes you can attract more flies with honey...
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep us updated please.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #13

delays are expected, lying about it is not! That is unfortunate!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #14

To the OP, know exactly how you feel. My 2015 DS was delivered last week of April, but after driving 4 hours to get to the dealership discovered all kitchen/bath back splashes were wrong color than on the order. Told the dealer bye, but was stopped at door and call put in to Newmar. Promised to pick it up, replace the backsplashes, and return by May 18. Okay, can still make our vacation reservations first week of June.
Newmar called 18th and said would be another week, but that would mean driver would be on road over Memorial week-end so would be after that. Goodbye reservations. Should have taken all that as Evil Omen and walked away. But didn't and have regretted it ever since.
Hope your deal finally works out for you and you have a great beginning to your full timing.