Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Is this amount of rust normal?

I have owned the coach less than a year now, and from my understanding Newmar coats the undercarriage to prevent rust.

I have what I believe is quite a bit of rust underneath. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ih1KhiNz3D5GpdGGA

Is this typical? Newmar is telling me that this is not warrantable and that it is a maintenance issue.
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

It was me, I'd follow these instructions from Rustoleum
https://www.rustoleum.com/project-ca...ished-toolbox/
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This appears to be due to winter driving with the chemicals getting on it. Was it delivered during the winter, or have you driving on treated roads?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
My first thought was that you must live/travel in the Upper Midwest or Northeast where they use salt on the roads in the winter, but your profile says you live in CA. Have you been traveling in the Upper Midwest, Northeast or another area where they salt the roads?

Given the relative newness of your coach, I would contact Newmar again (with photos) and try to elevate the issue to the next management level. Having rust like that on a relatively new coach shouldn't just be "a maintenance issue."

If Newmar won't help you, I would use some rust killer on those areas and then re-coat with a rust-resistant paint (XO-Rust or Rustoleum come to mind) wherever possible.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #5

Thanks all, I don't think it is worth fighting with Newmar. I will just spray/treat myself that way I know it was done correctly.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #6

Did you buy it new? It’s a lot of rust how many miles on the coach? If you drove thru a lot of gravel dirt roads etc that could happen it just beats the heck out of the undercoating ( I see bushing damage) or if parked on grass where moisture it’s always present it’s a lot variables

Zzotte
Old 02-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #7

If you travel in an area or state where they salt the roads in the winter, then I'd seriously consider getting some Salt-Away and spraying the undercarriage with it after driving on wet roads.

Salt-Away is a salt neutralizer and is commonly used on boat trailers that get lowered into the ocean.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #8

Looks a lot like ours did at less than six months after construction. It was driven away from the factory on salted roads and then parked at the dealer without washing the underside adequately. My bad for not crawling underneath it before purchase. It had more rust on it than our prior Newmar did at four years of age.

More than a few places with bare unpainted steel like yours. QC definitely not what it was on our first coach.

I spent a lot of quality time underneath to correct the situation, cleaning, painting and rust proofing.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks about normal for your area if N.E. would be much more, the Rusto-leum link should help or this one when you got coach to prevent it as much as possible.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4652387]Looks about normal for your area if N.E. would be much more, the Rusto-leum link should help or this [B][URL="https://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=Fluid%20Film&s_it=keyword_rollover&ie=UTF-8&VR=3430
one[/URL][/B] when you got coach to prevent it as much as possible.
Not sure how it is normal for my area, being that primarily it is Washington/Oregon where they don't salt the roads. I've driven it one time on roads that were salted. Doesn't seem typical for that.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
I'm sure once it rolls off the line and you take possession, Its yours. Assuming you purchased it new, it's your responsibility to maintain everything you need too . Yes there are suspicious areas that need attention, but I don't see anything major. Just typical Oxidation turning to a rust color. It happens as soon as you hit water--anywhere ! RV's are not perfect -and nothing ever is !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #12

One of those welded on brackets was never painted. I found the same on ours and painted it with rustoleum.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust