RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Is your sofa bolted down ? 01 DS

I've been fixing things getting ready for our trip next week on our "new to us" coach. I was going to fish the seat belts from behind the sofa and found it wasn't bolted down? That looks unsafe to me, don't want my son being what's holding the sofa to the floor with his seat belt if a crash happens.
Should I drill into the wood floor and use big lag bolts to screw it down or through bolt it.
How does the factory do it
I can't find any screw holes as evidence it was ever bolted down?
I see a welded flat bar the seat belts are bolted to but they are no where near to where I could use them to bolt the sofa down.
I'm really concerned for my son's safety so please let me know how the factory did yours Mike

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #2

My coach has a magic bed ( fold down unit ) not a couch or hide-a-bed, that is lag bolted to the floor. Good possibility that the original unit was swapped out by a previous owner and never secured, I doubt it would have left the factory that way, particularly being the seat with belts.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Skip, we have a sofa that pulls out into a bed "pull up and out and the back comes down". I agree, the factory should have bolted it down. What gets me is there are no old holes in the floor. I pulled the carpet back to see. The wood looks original but no evidence of ever being drilled?
I'll have to be careful of bolt length so they don't interfear with the slide when retracting or deploying. Mike

Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
My OEM couch was held down by bolts.
When I replaced it a couple years ago. The 12-13 year newer couch came with holes in the frame of it, at the same location.

You can use lag screws to hold down. If it is on a slide out don't use to long of ones.
And make sure no water or electric lines are under where you are going to drill.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Got it tied down .

Well, got it tied down. Home depot has some 3/8" lag bolts 3/4" long, just the right size. There was a bracket in a cabnet with some other hardware for the sofa. Used one of the brackets to tie the sofa to the seat belt stud that's welded to the frame. I had a piece of chain to span the gap from the floor to the frame of the sofa, I feel much better now that I know it's secure. I also installed the latch lock that keeps the sofa from opening up in case of a wreck.
After the install I had one of those OS# moments I pushed the slide close switch and nothing happens., check the rear slide and it works. I really thought I might have drilled into some wiring and screwed every thing up even though I thoroughly checked where I was drilling. After checking every thing again I pulled the rear slide switch looked at the wiring and then looked again at the front slide switch. Lo and behold one of the wires attached to the front switch with a spade lug had come off
I crimped the fitting with my pliers for a snug fit pushed it back on said a prayer and pushed the button. I was so happy to hear the voice telling me to make sure every thing is clear of the slide .
Thanks again for those that made comments, I appreciate the help, Mike