Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
ISM overheating

2006 Essex appx 45k miles
Engine temp has always been stable regardless of grade or speed and has always been under 200f. Yesterday driving about 80mph the high temp light came on and the temp was 226, I backed off and let it coast and the temp fell to 218 so I slowed to 40-50 mph and coasted as much as possible. The temp went back into the upper 190's but step on it and it would climb back up even on the slightest of grades.

I called Spartan and described the symptoms and the rep asked when I changed the hydraulic filters and stated the 2 external should be changed each year and the internal every other year. I don't doubt it, but I can't connect the dots between engine overheating and hydraulic filters. Also anyone familiar with the filters that knows where they are will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JVR
JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm not sure but I think the side radiator fan runs on hydraulics, possibly filters are restricting the flow, which slows the fan? Hopefully some more knowledgeable DP owners will chime in soon.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #3

some one else post

More than likely, your radiator (which you can see from the rear engine door) and your Charge Air Cooler is clogged externally with dirt. The Charge Air Cooler is what cools your exhaust before it's pump back into your engine. The two units are sandwiched together, one in front of the other. The Charge Air Cooler is the one closest to your engine fan.

to get more MPG they suck the air from under the RV and blow it out the back if at a red light or RV park with trees you can suck up alot of trash
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I had to replace my radiator a couple of years ago and when I pulled the CAC off the front of the radiator I was schocked at the junk, debris, and mud laying in between the two and the radiator and CAC was about plugged off with grime. To clean them both out right so you won't have problems down the road soon I suggest pulling the CAC out so you can make sure to get them cleaned out and get all th junk out that is in between them that you will never get out unless you separate the two units. Then you will know exactly what you got when you are done. I had washed mine out prior to tearing it apart and after I got it apart washing it when it was together did not do to much, I am not saying it won't clean it out doing it when it is together, but you can clean them really good and the end result is 100% done. I also would be surprised if it was you hyd. filters slowing the fan. Good luck.Your CAC conditions(cools) the engine's FILTERED air and the radiator is closes to the fan (inside) Your CAC cooler is wht you are looking at when you look in from the outside of the Coach, maybe also a couple of hyd. coolers mounted on the front of the CAC.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Essex uses a belt driven radiator fan.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
JVR,
I'm on my second Newmar, the first had an ISL engine, my current one has a 450 ISM. The ISL had both internal and external hydraulic filters. The external one was located on the passenger side compartment where the fuel filter, air dryer filter, etc are. My ISM doesn't have an external filter. The internal filters are all located in the same place, inside the hydraulic reservoir. Call Spartan you should have 3-4 filters that stack on top of each other. One thing to remember when doing this job...cleanliness. Spray brake cleaner on the reservoir before you open it and keep all dirt out. Hope this helps.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

I dont mean to be nasty here but if you are routinely driving 80MPH, I dont think you need to worry about engine temps--just saying......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #8

FYI. There are two radiator/charge air cooler/air conditioner configurations: sandwiched and stacked. Sandwiched means the various coolers are behind each other and air must go through the first one before going through the second. These types are the ones that get debris between them and must be disassembled to clean. That's a real bear. Yours may be like mine: stacked, in which the various coolers are vertically arranged, hence they're much easier to clean. A good detergent like Dawn and a garden hose will clean them. Beware of products that may attack radiator metals. Also, check the torque on your CAC hoses. If I remember right, it's 40 to 50 inch pounds.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I dont mean to be nasty here but if you are routinely driving 80MPH, I dont think you need to worry about engine temps--just saying......
Must have been in Texas; going 80 mph..
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all for the information, I haven't had an opportunity to even look at it since I got home and pulled it into the garage Sunday night about 10:00 with the bugs still stuck on the front.
I will post what I find once I get into it.
JVR
JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #11

Hello JVR - curious to know if you found the problem.... Thank you...
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #12

I like to start small, so I would first check the water level, next the bugs/debris on the radiator itself. If that is not what solves it, I would look at flushing the radiator (in in '06 it should have already been done, if not that is likely it). I'm a little surprised the alarm did not sound, and, I agree, sounds like you were going faster than I would, and I drive an 06 Essex.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Or Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry43 View Post
Must have been in Texas; going 80 mph..
I-15 in Utah is 80 in spots, although 70 is about all I will push it. Rarely am I in that big a hurry, unless the fish are biting.

So if the hydraulic filters are clogged that would restrict the oil flow and slow down the fan, if it is a side radiator.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the fan motor, expensive replacement but while it was out I flushed the radiator/CAC and tons of dirt and crap came streaming out. It took 4 times of soaking them with Zep Orange Cleaner and waiting 30 minutes between flushes to get them clean. I also had a problem with crank case vent where the tube wasn't long enough (known problem with some CAT motors) and had blow oil on the radiator. Found that and solved it too while the fan motor was out. The orange cleaner took care of the oil no problem.
flyfishidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know what chassis that year Essex is on, but if it's the K2, the cooling fan system is likely not hydraulic, it's mechanically driven with a two stage (high/low) clutch. It has its own gearbox (since it's side radiator) which should be regularly serviced and the shaft will have at least 1 grease zerk, but unless Spartan did something different on their older chassis, that unit should be mechanical... and besides, if it was hydraulic and connected to the chassis hydraulics, you would notice steering oddities if there was a filter problem (even still, service it. )

Assuming the belt is in good condition and at the proper tension, I would think it more likely to be an air flow issue. Some Spartans had the radiator and CAC behind each other as is typical and others have a stacked / top/bottom configuration (much better!) Regardless, give them a good cleaning from the inside to the outside. Simple green and water should do the trick unless really neglected. Would not recommend pressure washing.

As an aside, hold on tight if you blow a steer tire at 80mph.

Good luck.

Tags
heating