Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Issues with 2012 VLEDP

We purchased a 2012 VLEDP in April2011. Since then we have had about15 things go wrong with various items on the coach ranging from a bad switch to the shower leaking To this point the only major thing was one of the slides. We heard that Newmar had An excellent reputation and was wondering if this is normal for a new coach Tom Newmar or is this something we should be concerned with. Thanks in advance
tcam001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I'm not a Newmar owner , however a list of 15 items is something many others would trade you for the list they have. IMO , I don't think that is a large list. It would be on a car but not a MH.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall
I'm not a Newmar owner , however a list of 15 items is something many others would trade you for the list they have. IMO , I don't think that is a large list. It would be on a car but not a MH.
Sorry you've had some problems with your new coach. Newmar it a great company and they build a great coach I feel that 15 items is a very small list on my old Fleetwood the list never ended.
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi tcam001-- congratulations on your new motorhome. Since you live in Emmitsburg, Md. I assume you purchased the VLEDP that was on the lot at Beckley's just down the street from you? I have had 4 motorhomes (3 being new units) with the 4th being our 2012 DSDP we purchased from Beckleys in November. We found a handful of items during our 2 day long PDI and Beckleys fixed them as we found them, except for one item on the chassis that our local Freightliner dealer corrected. I now have a list of six minor items ( an additional 3 I fixed myself) that will need to be attended to this year and hope to build my list during our summer travels. From my experience a list of 15 items and no item that keeps the motorhome from being used or safety related, is not too many issues for a new coach. These things are each hand made and have many complicated systems.

Mike
"Check your DEF Level!!"
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tcam001,
Do not worry about things going wrong. I will not bother to let you in on how long my list was. Let's just say, during the warranty period, my list hit triple digits. I think I know why I had so many problems, but that is another story. Am I happy with my coach? The answer is yes. Once we got it settled down, the coach now needs only the usual maintenance and repair when things break. Would I purchase another Newmar? The answer is yes. One thing you get, when you purchase a Newmar, is you become part of the family. This starts with the Millers and is transmitted throughout the manufacturing and dealer employees. All my problems were taken care of.

Check out the Newmar Kountry Klub on iRV2 or at Welcome to Newmar Kountry Klub . If you have any questions, please PM me here at iRV2.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum & irv2 tcam001.
Congrats on your new coach and as everyone has said yes you may, will have some items that will need fixing.
Some will say for the money it should not be but if you put wheels on your stick house and traveled down some of the good roads we have, your sure to shake up a few things.
You have a more complex coach than I but I bet my list will be longer.
If you have a good dealer and do a good PDI when buying the coach your list may not be that bad. The Newmar repair center and dealers will take care of the problems you will have.
Newmar does now sponsor this forum and I am sure they will be monitoring it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #7

Congrats on a great choice. I have come to believe that motorhomes from the most humble class b to the the lifestyles of the rich and famous 45 footers are not Hondas. They are not designed and built by one entity, rather they are a collection of components and fabrications from a myriad of sources assembled by the "manufacturer" and ultimately quality controlled by the customer. Yes the various assemblers my take steps to try and deliver an acceptable product, however there are just too dog many pieces to the puzzle to get it all 100% right, it ain't no Honda. The Newmar reputation reflects an attitude of building a quality product and seeking satisfied customers. You made a great choice. Safe travels.
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our punch list was typed two pages single spaced. Some were mistakes made by Newmar during construction that varied from the order and others were defects. Got them all fixed, including the new front axle (12,000# to 14,600#). Now we have a great coach!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #9

I had around 10. All but 3 I fixed myself. They replaced the fridge & fixed the washer and a cargo door.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote