Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Issues with EEZTire sensors on towed

Until today, I had not added the EEZTire TPMS sensors to the Honda CR-V. Anticipating our trip to Nappanee, I tried to install the sensors and set the monitor up for the towed vehicle. The front sensors (R & L) programmed, though the LF was a bit balky. Neither of the rear ones would program; the sensor code would not read.

I'm wondering if this is a bad sensor issue or could it be the valve stems? I have replaced the batteries in the sensors that would not program, but to no avail.

The CR-V has rubber valve stems. Do I need metal valve stems? Anyone had this problem? What was the solution? Replace the sensors? Or valve stems? Or, would replacing the cores in the existing rubber valve stems be a possibility.

Any help will be appreciated.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #2

sensors

Hi TJ,
I have a different TPMS system on my rig and toad and have had some issues with bad sensors when I put them on. I have rubber stems and they seem to work fine as in both cases i had to send the sensors back to the manufacturer and have them replaced. Once I got through the initial period of set up and fine tuning the settings, they work fine.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I had one sensor that acted that way and it was defective. I called EEZ and they replaced it for free.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks, folks. I've had the sensors for about a year; just never used them. I wonder if EEZTire would still replace them? I think I may put the bad sensors on the front wheels of the CR-V (where the other ones worked) and see if they work there. If so, I would suspect the valve stems or cores.

TJ
Old 05-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

Contact EEZ, they have good customer service. Given their age EEZ might not replace them but at least they'll explain what's going on.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #6

Valve stems or cores won’t affect the programming of the sensors. Are you sure the batteries were fresh? I had issues programming my sensors and it was the display itself. However, if yours is only two sensors I would suspect the batteries first and sensors second.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Valve stems or cores won’t affect the programming of the sensors. Are you sure the batteries were fresh? I had issues programming my sensors and it was the display itself. However, if yours is only two sensors I would suspect the batteries first and sensors second.
I did put a brand new battery in one of the sensors that would not program, but it didn't make any difference.

TJ
Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I did put a brand new battery in one of the sensors that would not program, but it didn't make any difference.

TJ
I had that problem. Replaced batteries and still didn't work. After about 30 minutes I took new battery out and realized I had installed upside down. That corrected problem.
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fegans02 View Post
I had that problem. Replaced batteries and still didn't work. After about 30 minutes I took new battery out and realized I had installed upside down. That corrected problem.
Hmmmm. Button side down; case side up...right? I'm pretty sure I got it right, but you got me thinking. I'll double-check.

TJ
Old 05-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks, folks. I've had the sensors for about a year; just never used them. I wonder if EEZTire would still replace them? I think I may put the bad sensors on the front wheels of the CR-V (where the other ones worked) and see if they work there. If so, I would suspect the valve stems or cores.

TJ
If they'll program on the front wheels but not the back maybe it's just too far. Maybe you need a repeater.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #11

TJ, ours activated fine before putting on the toad with rubber valve stems. That should not be the issue. Assuming you're activating them next to the EEZ display, I'd check the batteries or swap out with a known good battery from one of the other good sensors to verify sensor or battery is bad.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I programed all my sensors prior to install them on the tires. I did have to purchase a repeater so the unit would read the back toad tires and the passenger inside dual on the coach. All my toads have had rubber valve stems and no issues. I can tell you if you put the battery in wrong it will only give a temperature reading. Tire read 300 degrees and toad had been sitting in the garage for two day.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update!

Well, I just got back inside after trying several things...all to no avail. I think two of the towed sensors are faulty.

I did check to see that the batteries...brand new batteries, too...were inserted correctly. They are.

I moved the sensors that wouldn't program to the front...where the others did...and no change. The programming attempts were done with the display unit quite near the sensor (4 inches to four feet).

I do have a repeater installed in the coach and it works quite well in picking up the tags. I'm pretty sure it would pick up the towed sensors of they were working.

I will call EEZTire CS when I have a chance to see what they think.

Thanks for the input.

TJ
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had two sets of EZtpms. The first set consisted of 6 units on a 33’ gaser-no issues.

After trading up to a 43’DP I ordered a 12 unit set for the same folks. 8 flow thru for the coach and 4 non-flow thru for the toad. Several did not work. Could not get them read or program. Call the company. Very small company but great customer service. The guy had me check the voltage on all 12 units. Anything less than 3VDC he considered bad. These were brand new bats. Several were below 3VDC. He sent me all new batteries and a repeater. All worked. Now this year, I had 2 on the toad not transmitting. I ordered fresh bats from Amazon(brand name)replaced the two not working and bingo! That did the trick.

Tags
tow