RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #1

Jack Alarm

After raising the jacks, internmittantly the Alarm will go off until I hit the LIFT button again and STOP.
Any suggestions, remedies, cost to fix?
I'm new to my 2004 Newmar, so any tips are appreciated

reed1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2, reed1950.
When you hit the store button let the jacks retrack and wait until the HWH system times out.
The system will go off after jacks are up.
If you have a jack alarm light on you may have to lift jack plate up with 2x4 because of need of new springs.
If piston still doesn't retrack may have "O" ring twisted in jack housing and may require a new jack for that position. New jack approx $350 if you change yourself.
In the Quick Tips LINK 1 & 2 there is info on HWH systems.
Congrats on your new coach.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #3

I leave my store button on while driving. They will vibrate down so this keeps the pressure off so they will return to the up position.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reed1950,
Welcome to iRV2. My assumption is you have HWH brand hydraulic jacks. If the jacks are actually retracting and you are having difficulty with the alarm, the suggestion to store the jacks and let the HWH system turn itself off is correct. You can drive with the HWH system on as long as the coach is aired up and the jacks are actually retracted. The HWH system will turn itself off.

If you are having difficulty with a jack retracting, one needs to carry a long bar to provide encouragement (manually lifting the jack) for the jack to retract. I carry a 6' pry bar for just such occasions.

Please post again if these posts do not solve your problem. Additional information can be provided if we know the details.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Again, the assumption is that you have HWH jacks. When you select "store" on the control pad, your jacks will retract (the time it takes will vary). If you are having a problem with one, there are a couple other things you might want to try. Turn the system off, then turn it back on. Manually lower the jack pair, as applicable, until contact with the ground. At this point you can select "store" again and this will probably solve the problem. If not, then repeat the process but this time spray some WD-40 (per HWH) on a micro-fiber and grab ahold of the top of the strut and wipe down one time. Select "store" again. If this doesn't work, then the "manual jack retraction tool" might be in order. Once the jacks are up, the green "travel" light should come on. At this point, don't turn off the system. It will shut itself off automatically after about 5-10 minutes. I have never had a "jack down" indication while driving.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HWH, Power gear or _____ Hydraulic or Electric?

Hydraulic jacks often are slow to retract, Lubrication of the jack pistion in accordance with the manufacturer's instrucitons (Generally Silicon spray) helps.

POWER gear uses a float valve in the reservoir to sense "Jacks up" Sometimes you need to top off a bit.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #7

THanks to all. When I lift the jacks, the STORE light goes off. If I hit STORE again, it stays on while Im driving (doesnt seem to shut itself off). Is it OK to drive with the STORE button left on?
reed1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the HWH system it is recommended to drive with the store button on.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reed1950,
It might take 10 minutes for the system to turn itself off. If it really does not turn itself off, consider calling HWH to see what the problem might be.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Our HWH jacks retract and the warning light on the dash goes off. All seems to be well until occasionally we hit a bump and we get the alarm sound only not as loud, just loud enough to be irritating. It will come on and go off and almost always goes off when we hit another bump. Will try leaving the "store" button on to see if it stops. Sorry to jump in on your thread but it just reminded me of this irritating sound. My ears are very sensitive and it grates on my nerves even though it doesn't last that long. THanks, and hope you found help for your problem.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
Our HWH jacks retract and the warning light on the dash goes off. All seems to be well until occasionally we hit a bump and we get the alarm sound only not as loud, just loud enough to be irritating. It will come on and go off and almost always goes off when we hit another bump. Will try leaving the "store" button on to see if it stops. Sorry to jump in on your thread but it just reminded me of this irritating sound. My ears are very sensitive and it grates on my nerves even though it doesn't last that long. THanks, and hope you found help for your problem.
After the jacks retract, do you turn off the system or does it shut down automatically?

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #12

Another vote from a Newmar owner for turning on the store button while driving. After you get the jacks up after camping and start the MH, you will have to hit the store button again before heading out.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I ran into the very same thing having the jacks down alarm come on right after we purchased our DSDP on 3/16/12. As others on this forum advised me, making sure the store button is pushed/activated when your moving should resolve this. I now do (2) things when I'm ready to go,
1. Press the jacks store buttom
2. Make sure the economy mode button on the Allison 3000 is lit.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

Approx. 3 years ago, I had problems with HWH jacks and the alarm coming on. I ended up going to the HWH factory and had the problem jack repaired and heavier return springs installed. The factory tech. instructed me on a new method of retracting the jacks. First step is to allow the auto process for retracting the jacks, to complete the cycle..ie the Indicator light to go out. Second step is to set the system to lower the jacks, as if you were going to level up the coach, however hold the retraction buttons for about 30 seconds. Turn off system and proceed to start coach and build up the air pressure. By doing this, you have allowed the jack cylinders to fully retract, as opposed to shutting off when they have reached their lower limit. I always travel with the HWH unit in store position and the alarm does not come on when traveling. Hope this helps.

gmarsha2 is offline   Reply With Quote