Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2022, 06:52 AM   #1

Jack pad recommendation for DS

In planning for first trip in a new DS, some campgrounds require jack pads. Looking around, I don't see many jack pads that would support the weight of a loaded Dutch Star. Does anyone has a recommendation for make/model jack pad?

This is our first MH and the learning curve is overwhelming at times.

Thanks.
JCCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I love the Snap Pads I installed on my jacks several years ago. Install once and done. I enjoy staying in public and no-frills parks. I don't use the amenities a "resort" offers so, while I understand some may require jack pads, I have never run into that requirement.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Cut yourself four pieces of plywood.

I dont know where all these campgrounds are that require pads. In a dozen years of travel I’ve encountered two, and they will provide something for you if you dont have them. In those two cases, the provided pads were plywood.

For some reason, this topic sticks in my craw. I’m sure the snap pad cult will be along shortly to smack down my opinion.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:14 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Take a look at Roadwarrior pads. They come in several sizes. I have the 12x2 pads, used them for several years, very pleased with them
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #5

I’ll second the roadwarrior pads. I have the 18 inch for the rear and 15 for the fronts. They should last forever.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2016 View Post
Take a look at Roadwarrior pads. They come in several sizes. I have the 12x2 pads, used them for several years, very pleased with them
That’s the answer
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
Community Moderator

I went to Lowes. Bought a 2x12x8 pressure treated board. Lowes cut it into 4 pieces. I have been using those pieces for 3 years now, and they haven’t split or warped. Sometimes put them under the jacks, or under the tires, whichever I need at the time.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We like the SnapPads. One and done installation with no crawling under coach every time. I have very reduced leg mobility so setting them every time is really not a good option. JMHO.
RajTaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:05 AM   #9

I recently traded coaches, I had snap pads on the previous coach but have not installed them on the new one yet. I ran into this at Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort. I always keep a number of 2"x12"x12" PT boards for the reasons stated by pasdad1 above and a large campfire poker for positioning them. HHMCR said those would be fine.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:29 AM   #10

We use Snap Pads as well and very happy with them. In most instances, we find level ground but not always. You will want to carry some home made levelers as described.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:08 AM   #11
jrs

We travel full time and stay mostly at campgrounds. I've used cutting boards for over 3yrs now and only one cracked. The cracked one is still utilized when needed. Drilled a hole at 2 opposite corners to move/remove them during use with a hook on the end of a broom handle.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's my view, you buy a $300K - $500K coach with an auto leveling system and then go to the store and buy pieces of wood/rubber that you have to drag around, lift and store. They're a mess when you pull them out from under the coach and have to be cleaned before putting them away. They also add another thing you have to do after bringing in the slides and putting away the shore cords. Now you have to pull the coach forward and go around and pull them out.

I'm lazy and with a shorter coach, storage is at a premium. I installed the SnapPads on my 2014 DS and immediately on my 2019 DS. They're one and done. You never have to think about them again and they meet the requirements of the campgrounds that require pads.

With all that said, there is one caveat. The SnapPads will fit the front of all Newmar coaches and the rears of the 40' models. They don't have a pad for the 43' coaches as the jack is too close to the frame. If I had a 43' coach, I would still buy the front SnapPads and then get two rubber mats for the rear.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #13

DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCampbell View Post
In planning for first trip in a new DS, some campgrounds require jack pads. Looking around, I don't see many jack pads that would support the weight of a loaded Dutch Star. Does anyone has a recommendation for make/model jack pad?

This is our first MH and the learning curve is overwhelming at times.

Thanks.
See if your local lumber supply has a piece of 8-12" LVL. Thick Plywood like header material. Cut 12" pieces and drill holes for rope. Easy effective and inexpecive . Snap pads are totally useless I'm my opinion and way to expensive.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:42 AM   #14

Thanks to anyone recommending Roadwarriors. Went to the web page and can't get delivery before we leave for a few weeks, so I'll order when we get back home. They look perfect for my need.
JCCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote