Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
The best way to get what you want is to go to Tractor Supply and buy a rubber horse pad. I bought half a pad and it was all that I needed to cut eight pads. After they are cut drill a half inch hole on two ends. That way you can push them in and pull them out using the awning pull down rod. The project will cost you next to nothing and you will get exactly what you want. Good luck
Coffee Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #30

Jack pads

With 2 diesel pusher motorhomes I have just built 18" square pads out of 2 layers of 2x6 lumber. These work great and can have a piece of rope on them to pull them back out from under and just use a piece of 2x2 to slide them under your jack feet before leveling. They stack neatly to store in your bay.
DDTQuilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #31
Community Moderator

I think it matters WHY you want pads….

If as some suggested, just to use when rules at campgrounds require pads on their asphalt surfaces…….

OR

When you really need a LARGE surface area to spread the weight and prevent the jack from sinking down in soft soil.

SnapPads useless for #2 as they don’t increase surface area hardly at all over the standard jack feet.

I cut a 2x12x8 pressure treated board into 4 pieces, and only had to use them maybe 3 times in 2 years. The boards are also useful for putting under the tire, if when level, the tire is raised off the ground. I slip the board under the tire, then lower the jack about 1/2 inch, so the tire makes contact again with the ground.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #32

Jack pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Howdy Don, I just looked at these. With the middle hole you are losing a lot of support to help distribute the weight. How affective are these in real life?
I looked at the real purpose of jack pads, and believe the objectives are (1) to spread the weight over a greater area when parking on less than solid surfaces, and (b) prevent damage to someone's RV park surface by providing a padded underside of the RV feet. After looking at commercially available products, I decided it was cheaper and gave me more control if I purchased 4' x 8' x 1" thick plywood certified for outside use, and cut pads to 16" x 16" to optimize the use of the 4 x 8 sheet. I painted mine to protect them from weather, etc.
When the parking surface is softer than concrete, I put one or two (stacked) of these pads under each jack. I did calculate the resulting pressure area by using these pads, I found it cut the pressure (pounds per square unit) jn half. Experience has shown me these pads work as intended, and they are not that difficult to stow. I even considered embedding strong magnets in the pads, to make it easier to place them precisely on the jack feet, but so far that has not been a problem.
If you are not handy, or do not have access to tools, maybe look to a local high school industrial shop program to see if they would take on a build project. If not, perhaps there is an active RV club with someone who might volunteer to take it on.
Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I made mine with scrap 2x4 lumber. Just cut 8 12" length pieces and use mending plates on each side to pull them together. This should make you 1 12x12 pad. I also cut an old nylon tie down strap to fit around the outer edge of the pads and use that as a place I can reach with a pole fitted with a hook to either place them under the jack feet, or pull them out. You can also affix maybe a length of nylon rope for this, but the strap was old and ready for the trash. And it sure saves me effort from having to get down on my knees and having to reach under the coach for them. I also had a fairly large scrap of indoor/outdoor carpet that I cut to fit and glued on to one side of the pads for the jack feet to rest on. The pads give us about 3.5" to work with for uneven ground.

I can post photos if you're interested. It was very easy to make and they've come in handy many times.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #34

I cut some 3/4 " ply into 2 x 2 pieces. drilled a hole in the corner and ran some nylon string thru the holes and made a loop. took an old broom handle and put a screw in one end at angle towards me. I can use the handle to position the wood pads, and when done, I can use the "hook" to catch the string and pull them out from under and stow them in the basement. works for me. John
john foose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also made pads out of exterior grade 3/4" plywood. All the pads are 18" square, with each layer of plywood turned 90 degrees from the one below/above. Everything is screwed together with exterior-grade screws. I made 4 pads that are 4-ply (2" overall depth) and 2 pads that are 2-ply (1" depth). I painted them and added carpet on one side so the jack pads don't stick to them. Each pad has a rope loop on one end to allow me to retrieve them with my fire poker. If I have an unlevel site, I can fit one 2" and one 1" pad under a jack and it usually gets me level.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #36

SnapPads are great, call the company and see if they can make some to fit. They simply pop, on by rubbing a little liquid soap on the edge, and they give a nice 50% larger soft foot print. There is NO way they will come off. We appreciate their high quality construction and advise anyone to consider them!
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #37

Jack pads

I purchased 1” thick rubber horse trailer pad (come in 4’x8’ and 4’x4’) at Tractor Supply then cut them to size. Think I paid less than $40.
ttyler3255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
I have the BIGFOOT pads which can be purchased from their site bigfoot.com. You can pick the size you need.
Second Bigfoot. Get the 12x12 1.5" thick for your coach.

I have a 2019 LA which has the same jacks as the Essex. You really only need the pads when parking on loose gravel. I don't park on grass or dirt. They aren't needed on pavement or hard packed gravel as the feet on the jacks are so big to begin with.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #39

I am going with the gentleman above check out Bigfoot, Safe Travels
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:48 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went with Outdoors for Life jack pads. Available in 12x12, 14x14 and 16x16 (or a custom size), lifetime warranty and you can have your name and phone number engraved in the pad.

https://oflpads.com/products/rv-jack-pads/

I use our jack pads when ever I think the ground maybe a bit soft.

Safe Travels.
JRW-NAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #41

These are the "Orville Redenbacher" of heavy duty jack stand pads.

https://www.outriggerpads.com/produc...d-12-x-12-x-1/

I've had them 3 years now. Used them in every type of soil and pavement. Even sunk them in muck !

Never failed to support the motorhome and never a crack.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #42

Every year in Quartzsite at my normal place I have two jacks that punch right through the desert regardless of the rocks or boards I fill in that hole. I end up borrowing 2 “Crane” pads, very similar to above, from a friend, and problem solved. The set I finally bought are 15x15x2 and I think they are literally bulletproof. A pain to slide them in but I don’t use em’ that often

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote