Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Jacks down thump

I’m hooked up on a concrete slab that was not level to start, front wheels 1/4 inch off the ground and we are level. Over the past 3 days maybe once a day we have felt a thump, my wife thought someone hit us the first time it happened. Has anyone had something like this happen? My guess is the jacks have made slight shifts, level has not changed. Thanks Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like maybe a jack is retracting a bit. Typically a line leak (usually at a connection joint) or solenoid leaking a bit. Mark the chromed cylinders with a marker and see if the mark location changes over time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #3

We experienced the thump as well. It typically happened when parked on concrete pads and after sitting for a week, maybe two. It felt like it was coming from the rear jacks. I checked the level, even measuring the rear clearance from ground to body—nothing changed. After a year of full-time living in our 2017 Dutch Star 4369, it no longer occurs. I suspect it may have been air in the hydraulic lines that is now cleared.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
We experienced the thump as well. It typically happened when parked on concrete pads and after sitting for a week, maybe two. It felt like it was coming from the rear jacks. I checked the level, even measuring the rear clearance from ground to body—nothing changed. After a year of full-time living in our 2017 Dutch Star 4369, it no longer occurs. I suspect it may have been air in the hydraulic lines that is now cleared.

Thank you, I also think it’s from the rear. Air makes sense
Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #5

Mine does the same thing on concrete pads. After a couple days it stops, I think it is the levelers shifting and finding where they want to be. Maybe your RV is walking downhill.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #6

Jacks leaking down ever so slightly.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I noticed you having to use a step stool at your stairs and wondered why. Is your auto level taking your wheels of the ground? It should NOT. Or are you manually leveling as auto-level could not get you level?

Wheels should never be off the ground.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I only have the above happen, on occasion, when the front jacks are fully extended. I think when they're fully extended they want to creep a little.

Side Note: Occasionally, I get the excessive slope on really unlevel ground. When I do, I lower the lowest end of the coach manually a few inches and then the opposite end a few inches. I push "Auto Level" again and often can get the coach to level without excessive slope. Sometimes the lowest end of the coach over lifts before the higher end can reach level. The jack system is not smart enough to retract some after it has over extended.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Jacks down thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I noticed you having to use a step stool at your stairs and wondered why. Is your auto level taking your wheels of the ground? It should NOT. Or are you manually leveling as auto-level could not get you level?

Wheels should never be off the ground.

The camp site was very unlevel , and that was the auto level. The rears just touched down. Wouldn’t be my first choice, this park has many sites this unlevel, won’t be going back. Just purchased the step, it sure came in handy. I should add all slide margins were even.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I only have the above happen, on occasion, when the front jacks are fully extended. I think when they're fully extended they want to creep a little.

Side Note: Occasionally, I get the excessive slope on really unlevel ground. When I do, I lower the lowest end of the coach manually a few inches and then the opposite end a few inches. I push "Auto Level" again and often can get the coach to level without excessive slope. Sometimes the lowest end of the coach over lifts before the higher end can reach level. The jack system is not smart enough to retract some after it has over extended.

Thanks Don, I believe they were close to fully extended.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I followed up with Newmar Customer support today, they are aware of this concern, and even have duplicated it on units there. Could be low fluid (need to have FWS in and All jacks up to check fluid level)if fluid is needed use Dexron 3 ATF, other then that they are not sure why it happens and are not concerned about it.
As for wheels off the ground, they said for safety reasons they prefer that tires are touching the ground, but went on to say that using jack pads help minimize the safety risk in the event of a hydraulic failure, As the jacks are less extended.

Tags
jacks