Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2023, 07:02 PM   #1

Jacks only work with the ignition on... jacks sound alarm with the ignition on...

I have a 2017 DSDP 4310 and I'm a little unclear on how the jack system is supposed to be setup. My jack control panel is only active when the ignition is on. But, as soon as the jacks deploy, a shrill and loud alarm sounds. It takes an unpleasant couple of minutes for the jacks to level the coach. Am I missing something? Doing something out of order? Or is there some other explanation? I can't imagine this is the way it's designed.

Ben
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 07:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you tried operating the jacks with the ignition switch in accessory mode? There should be no alarms when when doing this.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:46 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The alarm is normal to tell you the jacks are down. On some of the systems, you can locate the little black speaker under the dash and there is a rotating cover on it. You can turn the cover to partially cover the holes and diminish the sound.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:28 PM   #4

Completely normal. Designed that way because if you forget your jacks are down and try to drive off, you'll destroy them.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveaday View Post
I have a 2017 DSDP 4310 and I'm a little unclear on how the jack system is supposed to be setup. My jack control panel is only active when the ignition is on. But, as soon as the jacks deploy, a shrill and loud alarm sounds. It takes an unpleasant couple of minutes for the jacks to level the coach. Am I missing something? Doing something out of order? Or is there some other explanation? I can't imagine this is the way it's designed.

Ben

All normal. I instructed wife how to deploy and retract jacks. While she does that task I am outside hooking up or disconnecting utilities….lot quieter outside
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Have you tried operating the jacks with the ignition switch in accessory mode? There should be no alarms when when doing this.
That's the way mine is.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try deploying in with ignition accessory mode.
mmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:24 AM   #8

Thanks all for the confirmation that's normal. My previous RV only sounded the alarm if you put the transmission in gear. I have a strong distate for "normal" alarms. I've spent my career monitoring critical infrastructure. In my mind, if an alarm is sounding, something should be wrong. In this case, that's not really the case. But, I'll try altering my process to retract the jacks in accessory mode to avoid the alarm.

-Ben
Old 02-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Drivers me crazy as well. Never thought of the accessory trick. Hope that works.

Maybe sound the alarm when someone is in the driver seat. An alarm when going into gear might be one second too late.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveaday View Post

Ben
We only operate our jacks with the ignition in the accessory position thus no alarm noise.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
We only operate our jacks with the ignition in the accessory position thus no alarm noise.
Same here, and same with our 2016 DutchStar
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:54 AM   #12

I have also always used the ACC position, no alarm.

I'll add when we are getting ready to leave I fire up the coach to air up the bags and also tell the jacks to retract. Then I go outside for a few minutes.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
Same here, and same with our 2016 DutchStar
Same here, while using the ACC mode of Ignition Switch
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:22 AM   #14
YC1

Ours do not function in accessory mode and since that speaker is misearbly loud I chased it down and stuffed its face with tape. I can still hear it just fine but don't feel the need to commit murder after listening to them.

If you put our RV into gear with the jacks down you will be quite surprised how quickly they pick their feet up and the alarm goes nuts of course.

Working under an RV with these jacks to hold the rv up is suicide. There are lots of interlocks and safetys that can cause the sudden retraction of the jacks.

That was not the question but learned from a bad transmission controller that it retracted the jacks violently. No air in the bags and the jacks extended with all that weight and it comes down like many tons of bricks.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition, jacks