Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jacks raise coach too high

I have a 2017 Dutch Star 4369. I find my jacks raise the coach unnecessarily high when leveling. I can level manually with much less jack exposure and coach height. Anyone know how to recalibrate the leveling system?
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #2

The owners manual for your leveling jacks has real simple instruction to follow. I can look up the instructions if needed. I do manual leveling using 'Level Mate Pro' (on amazon for $140). Using an App on my Iphone, I can level within a 1/4 inch. Check it out on youtube. It can be used on trailers as well as motorhomes.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When your coach leveling system operates, it lifts the low end first. Then it lifts the other end. The only problem, it doesn't know exactly how far to lift. If it lifts too far, it has to correct that with the other jacks. Unfortunately, it can only lift, it doesn't have the ability to lower if it goes too high. Maybe someday, they'll make a system that is smarter and can both lift and lower.

When you manually level, you lose a function of the system. The jacks are designed to level and then at the very end of the leveling procedure, it checks that ALL jacks are touching and have a certain amount of pressure on them.....then shut down. That doesn't happen when you manually level and you can end up with a jackoff the ground.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #4

This isn’t the case on my NADP. Pressing a button always runs two jacks at a time. If one isn’t down yet, it will run that down until it touches and then lift in tandem. I manually level all the time and all four jacks are down.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Dump Air First

On our LA we dump the air and hit ALS then set. If we use the jacks it was too high. But a work around we just tried if we want to use jacks is on HWH panel dump air, then hit auto level it seems to be lower. Others may have tried this and have input..
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

I have the same complaint and I was told there is not an adjustment to accomplish a lower level coach using the auto level feature. If coach seems unnecessarily high after auto level I sometimes press retract and only let it retract a second or two & hit cancel. It will allow the coach to lower a little but all four jacks usually remain on the ground.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
This isn’t the case on my NADP. Pressing a button always runs two jacks at a time. If one isn’t down yet, it will run that down until it touches and then lift in tandem. I manually level all the time and all four jacks are down.
Unless the NADP uses something different than the HWH 625 Series, you might want to read your Manual.

"The computer will extend jack pairs according to the level lights starting with a lit side light. When all four level lights are out, the computer will extend any jacks not used for leveling to stabilize the vehicle. The computer looks for a jack pressure switch from each jack to know all jacks are on the ground."
Old 11-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Unless the NADP uses something different than the HWH 625 Series, you might want to read your Manual.

"The computer will extend jack pairs according to the level lights starting with a lit side light. When all four level lights are out, the computer will extend any jacks not used for leveling to stabilize the vehicle. The computer looks for a jack pressure switch from each jack to know all jacks are on the ground."

That’s for automatic leveling - and yes, that’s how mine works. For manual leveling, it still runs in pairs and uses that same switch so that you can get all 4 down.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

I thought the newer coaches would be using the 725 system. The 625 is pretty old.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the input. I have read and re-read the manual. I have not yet called tech support. When manually leveling the manual specifically says level sided to side first, not the lowest first. I have no problem leveling manually and will continue to do it that way when not parked on a reasonably level spot.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post

Pretty sure that is how mine works as well.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here you go with the 725 Series. My 2014 had the 625 Series. I don't know when the 725 Series was installed on Newmars. My 2019 has the 725 Series. If you read through this procedure, you'll see that the system in AUTO, senses pressure and makes sure all 4 jacks on are on the ground, with PRESSURE, before shutting down.

In the Manual procedure, there is no way of knowing that all four are on the ground and under PRESSURE unless you run out a few times and check each jack to make sure it's solidly on the ground, which would require slipping something under it, as it's difficult to tell if it's barely touching. I know when I use the jacks manually, like while I'm working on the coach, I can't tell when the rears hit, until the coach moves a lot.

So....in Manual mode, you can level, but you can often end up with one jack slightly off the ground and end up with a little instability.

HWH® SYSTEM-SPECIFIC OPERATION
LEVELING SYSTEMS – 725 SERIES
“HOW IT SHOULD OPERATE”
(Filename: MI16_OP_LESY02.DOC | Revised: 14FEB17)

Auto Level:

1. Set the park brake. If the park brake is not set, the NOT IN PARK/BRAKE touch panel light will come on while the AUTO LEVEL button is being pushed.

2. Ignition key must be in the ACC or ON position. If in the ACC position, the master jacks down warning light and buzzer will not be on during leveling.

3. Push the AUTO LEVEL button one time. The AUTO LEVEL light will start flashing and continue to flash until the leveling process is complete. One or two yellow level lights may be lit, never opposing lights.

4. The system turns on the dump output. This output remains on during the complete leveling procedure. The pilot air dump valve puts the individual height control dump/travel valves in the dump position. The system starts dumping air from the suspension air bags and the vehicle begins to lower. The system will dump air approximately 25 seconds before the leveling procedure starts.

5. The pump will come on, the appropriate jack solenoid valves will be opened, the isolation valve will be opened and the system will level the vehicle according to any lit yellow level light(s). Lit yellow level lights indicate that side, end or corner is low. The system will always extend two jacks at the same time. The system will always extend jacks to turn out a lit side yellow level light before extending front or rear jacks to turn out a front or rear yellow level light. As a jack extends approximately ½ inch, the magnetic reed switch in the jack down warning switch closes completing a ground circuit and its corresponding red jack down touch panel warning light will come on. The master jacks down warning light and buzzer will only come on if the ignition is in the ON position.

6. When all the yellow level lights are off, there is a 2 second pause with the pump off. Then the system will stabilize the vehicle. The pump may cycle on and off during the stabilizing procedure. Each jack has a normally open pressure switch that completes a ground circuit. This switch will be on if the jack is on the ground lifting the vehicle. The system only looks at these switches during the stabilize procedure. There is a specific sequence for stabilizing. The system first looks at the right rear pressure switch. If the right rear jack pressure switch is on when checked, the system moves immediately to the left rear jack pressure switch. If the switch is off, the system runs the pump, opens the right rear solenoid valve, the isolation valve and extends the jack until the pressure switch comes on. The system then moves to the left rear jack pressure switch. The left rear jack is extended as necessary if the pressure switch is not on. When the system sees the left rear pressure switch, it returns to the right rear, rechecks that switch, extends the right rear more if necessary or if the switch is still on, goes back to the left rear and rechecks that switch, extending the left rear jack more if necessary. The system then looks at both front jack pressure switches. If either front pressure switch is NOT on, the system opens both front solenoid valves and the isolation valve. The front jacks will extend until the system sees both front jack pressure switches. If one of the front jacks is already on the ground, that jack will not move due to the check valve arrangement in the leveling system manifold.

7. When all four jack pressure switches are on, the pump shuts off and the AUTO LEVEL light turns off.

Note: The isolation valve opens for any leveling function that requires the pump to run. It does not open when retracting jacks, auto or manual. It is only present on vehicles equipped with the HWH step.

EXCESS SLOPE: The EXCESS SLOPE touch panel light will only come on in the AUTO LEVEL mode. The leveling manifold has a normally open 3,000 psi pressure switch. This pressure switch contacts will close if two jacks reach full extension and a yellow level light is still on. The switch sends a ground signal to the pump I/O module. The module informs the processor there is an excess slope situation. The processor stops the leveling process and turns all loads off. The system will not stabilize the vehicle. One or two jacks may not be on the ground. The EXCESS SLOPE light will come on for two minutes then go out. All touch panel buttons will function except the AUTO LEVEL button if the EXCESS SLOPE light is on.

Auto Store:

1. The park brake does not have to be set to use the STORE button. If the park brake is not set when the STORE button is pushed, the NOT IN PARK/BRAKE touch panel light will come on and stay on until the STORE light goes out.

2. The ignition must be in the ACC or ON position. (Or the engine should be started) If the ignition is in the ON position, the master jacks down warning light and buzzer will be on until all the touch panel individual red jacks down warning lights are out.

3. Push the STORE button. The STORE light will start flashing.

4. The travel output is turned on and the pilot valve switches the individual height control dump/travel valves into the travel position. If there is air in the suspension air tanks, the vehicle will start to rise to travel height. The travel output is on anytime the ignition is on and the park brake is released.

5. The same time the travel relay is turned on, the front solenoid valves are turned on. The front jacks will start to retract. The pump does NOT run during the store sequence.

6. Five seconds after the front solenoid valves are turned on, the rear solenoid valves are turned on. The rear jacks will start to retract.

7. As a jack retracts within approximately ½ inch of being fully retracted, the magnetic reed switch in the jack down warning switch opens and the corresponding red jack down warning light will go out.

8. When all four red jack down warning lights are off, the master warning light and buzzer will turn off.

9. One minute after the last red jack down warning light goes out, the STORE light will turn off and all the jack solenoid valves will turn off. If the NOT IN PARK/Brake light was on, it will also turn off.

Note: If any red jack down warning light remains on, the system will remain in the store mode with all of the jack solenoid valves will cycle for 10 minutes on then 10 off for approximately 50 minutes (or until the last red warning light goes out) and then turn off regardless of any red warning lights remaining on.

10. The ignition key can now be turned off.

Manual Leveling:

1. Set the park brake. The NOT IN PARK/BRAKE touch panel light will come on while an UP arrow button is being pushed. The light will go out when the button is released. The pump will not run if the NOT IN PARK/BRAKE light is on.

2. Ignition key must be in the ACC or ON position. If any jacks are extended and the ignition is in the ON position, the master jacks down warning light and buzzer will be on. One or two yellow level lights may be on but never opposing yellow level lights. Lit yellow level lights indicate the side, end or corner of the vehicle is low.

3. Push the DUMP button. The AUTO LEVEL light will be on solid while the DUMP button is being pushed and go out when the DUMP button is released. The system turns on the dump output. This output remains on only while the DUMP button is being pushed. The button is momentary and does not have to be held on while the air is dumping. The pilot air dump valve puts the individual height control dump/travel valves in the dump position. The system starts dumping air from the suspension air bags and the vehicle begins to lower. Wait until the vehicle stops lowering.

3. Push an UP arrow button corresponding to a lit yellow level light. The AUTO LEVEL light will be on solid while the UP arrow button is being pushed and go out when the UP arrow button is released. The pump will run, the corresponding jack solenoid valves will be turned on and the isolation valve is turned on. Hold the UP arrow button on until the corresponding yellow level light goes out. If two yellow level lights are lit, push the side UP arrow button corresponding to the lit side yellow level light until that side yellow level light is out. Then push the front or rear UP arrow button if that yellow level light is still lit. Hold that UP arrow button on until the corresponding yellow level light goes out. As a jack extends approximately ½ inch, the magnetic reed switch in the jack down warning switch closes completing a ground circuit and its corresponding red jack down touch panel warning light will come on. The master jacks down warning light and buzzer will only come on if the ignition is in the ON position.

4. When all four yellow level lights are off, if both front jacks are not on the ground, push the front UP arrow button until both front jacks are on the ground and lifting very slightly.

5. If both rear jacks are not on the ground, push the rear UP arrow button until both rear jacks are on the ground and lifting very slightly.

The ignition key can now be turned to OFF
Old 11-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
Commercial Member

you do not need to start leveling side to side in hwh manual mode.it makes sense to level the low side or end first.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #14

I'm a solo RV'er and I manually level all the time and all four jacks are on the ground without me running out and checking every second. When it's time to put the fourth jack down, I press the button, and I can hear the pump running easily (it's clearly not under pressure) -- it's just extending the 4th jack. As soon as that jack hits, the tone of the pump changes (it's now working hard - extending the pair of jacks) and the coach starts to move a tiny bit (EDIT: the movement is so small that my LevelMate PRO doesn't register a change; you can clearly hear the tone of the pump change before any significant movement occurs). I let go, and I'm done. Level and all 4 on the ground.

Tags
jacks