Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Joining Newmar Family- Need help with Specials

I really wish that I had posted this thread a week ago. Unfortunately time is now very short. Our order has to be confirmed at factory by Tuesday to be included in Run 9. But I thought that I would post anyway and see if I would pick up any quick and easy suggestions. I cannot say enough about how much I have learned from this site. Back in 2011 when we ordered our 1st Fleetwood Discovery 40 ft DP, we were complete novices (we had never even been to a campground) and I am sure many of the suggestions we got from this site helped us avoid many common newbie mistakes.

Next we ordered a 42A tag axle Discovery in 2012. It had the rear bunk beds. Since that model is no longer produced, we were fortunate enough to sell it very quickly to a private party. That brings us to the next exciting chapter in our lives!

We are in the final stages of putting in an order for a 2015 Dutch Star 4312 with the rear bunks. We spent a lot of time at the factory about a month ago selecting all of our interior decor items, etc. Needless to say, we are very excited! Love the Newmar quality.

I have a few items on our Specials list and I am wondering if I am leaving out any common items that all of you have deemed as "must haves."

Before that, I will list the major items we have selected off the order sheet. Upgraded A/Cs and the heated tile, induction cook top, dishwasher, extenda flex dinette (we have 3 younger kids), additional Girard awning, power driver side window, and height compensating step. We have a lot more options that I am not listing. They are minor in price. We are not doing the sofa in the master bed base. It is $5,000 and we do not want to lose all of the storage under the master bed.

Here is my list of specials. 1 extra pantry drawer, moving outlets in bunk area in to the rear shelf area (out of the way so the plugs do not hit your back, etc), moving rear thermostat sensor much further towards back so that engine heat is better accounted for (otherwise the bunk area gets warm and A/C temp sensor is too far forward), extra outlets in both baths for hairdryers, hair straighteners, hair curlers, etc (guys- don't even ask), I have optioned to have all AGM house batteries, a 12 volt receptacle to the left of driver seat and one to the right of passenger seat, and lastly a built in soap dispenser at the kitchen sink.

When you are taking the time to custom order one of these units, you want to make sure that you are not leaving out something obvious. Please chime in with anything that you think we have left out.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Me Too

CentILRVer,

Thanks for asking this question...I hope to learn a bit by reading the responses. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to do the factory tour before placing my order (CS 3921) in the upcoming months.

Dawn
idocdlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

Either wired for, or factory installed, Wineguard Traveler sat dish.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

Yes, I'll order the in motion sat dish and the power lift TV antenna. We need in motion bc kids watch TV as we travel down the road. Thanks.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #5

Many of us had problems with the factory installed microwave. I know they switched in 2015, but many here swear by the Advantium, an upgrade at time of purchase of approximately $700.00, I believe.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're travelling with kids, a stacked washer/dryer is nice to have. Saves having to go to the laundomat.

Welcome to the Newmar Family!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll second the washer dryer and the induction cook top for sure. Good luck,unwelcome to the Newmar family band hope you enjoy your coach.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #8

Upgrade the microwave and the kitchen window were to two big things that got us.

The window let in just enough light to give a pleasant feel while working there. We thought it was to small to have any real use, we were wrong.

Outlet with built in USB on each side of the main seating. Everything is starting to recharge with USB, might as well make it convenient for you. We replaced one of our regular outlets, makes a difference.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum.
Here is a link to the HOOT's threads and other peoples decisions on what they decided to place in their coach's it may give you some ideas.
Here is a post that will tell you the goings on at Newmar and some people to contact for any changes you may want to your order before the build.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
upgrades

We picked our 2014 -4369 Dutchstar from the lot. It had the pullout fridg/freezer and we like it for water/soda etc dont have to go into rv to get them.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just Ordered the same

We ordered the same model several weeks ago. Our's is supposed to be ready early September. I also visited the factory and they told me about the central IL family that also wanted to see "Matt's Coach". So I'm guessing that was you. We also have three kids. In terms of specials, here is what we did:

- Custom exterior paint colors
- upgraded carpet to London Aire
- upgraded counter tops tops to Mountain Aire
- ***Upgraded Extenda Flex dinette table. You may want to check on this one. We are getting two extra leaves and a support leg for the table. Without this special, the table does not extend the full length of the benches. Ask Michelle for details. She will recall our discussion.
- AGM batteries
- Advantium oven
- Upgraded water pump to the Aquajet. Much higher pressure/flow and virtually silent.
- RV Sanicon
- 4 extra pantry drawers
- PI Surge protector and Stainless Steel Armour around the entire coach. They would not do these two as specials, but are doing them "after market" during the factory delivery.

I also tried without success to get an auto tank fill for the fresh water tank. Will have to do that myself plus add an additional tank level readout in the wet bay.
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
Yes, I'll order the in motion sat dish and the power lift TV antenna. We need in motion bc kids watch TV as we travel down the road. Thanks.
I don't believe you can use the Wineguard Traveler while in motion. You'll need a dome.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, newmar