Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 04:18 AM   #15
YC1

As mentioned, a good set of jumper cables in all of my vehicles. Don't think of them as jumper cables, think of them as booster cables. You need to let the donor vehicle run quite a while to get really depleted batteries up enough to handle the struggle.

Getting the generator started is key as mentioned. It can be a bit tricky if they depending on how things are wired but within 30 minutes you should be able to hold the boost button long enough to start the generator as mentioned.

Once the generator is running for 30 minutes or so you should be able to hit the boost button and start the big engine. Keep the generator running and let the big engine run at high Idle for ten minutes. I am not an advocate of idling a diesel but sometimes you just have to. The goal is to get some decent surface charge on the engine batteries.

After shutting down the big engine be sure to put a voltmeter on each bank of batteries to be sure they are both being charged with the generator. Not all RV's combine both banks and often the systems have gone wonky.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepoland5 View Post
Thanks, all, for the advice. A few clarifications re questions raised:

Re Coach-Net, they told me that they pay for the service call but that I was responsible for any of the work performed. So they pay to get the truck there, but I pay the jump charge which they said would be $150/her with a minimum of 2 hours. I haven't had time to review my Coach-Net agreement to see if I should push back on that.

Re just using my car and jumper cables, I was under the impression that you typically need a good size truck to jump a Cummins 450 hp beast. We have a mid-size SUV, and it sounds like that may do the trick.

Re access to any electric, while my HOA lot is a fantastic bargain at around $340 per year, there is no electric available.

Thanks again to this group for all the great suggestions. I'll give them a try tomorrow and hopefully by up and running soon.

Something is not right with what you were told by Coach Net. If all they did was hook up cables from their truck then it should have been covered. If they had to perform any mechanical work...like replace the batteries, then you would have to pay the cost of the batteries.

Like has been said, you can 'Boost' or partially charge the batteries to get the generator going OR wait a while and in maybe 1/2 hour with the toad running start the big engine and let it charge all of the batteries. I had to do that once using our Honda Accord we used to use as a toad.

BUT be very careful. Jump starting or boosting dead batteries can be dangerous. Know how the proper sequence is for connecting the cables. It is important you do not produce any spark especially when disconnecting the cables.

Congratulations on selling the house and going full time! I hope you have fun and problem free time!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #17

You said you are going full time, dead batteries from storage should not be an issue going forward.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Townley View Post
The best (and cheapest) way to do this is your car, and some jumper cables. Instead of trying to start the big engine, start the generator first. Once the generator fires off, leave your car plugged hooked up to the chassis batteries and go inside and hold the battery boost depending on the year you have have a house/chassis directional button, if that’s the case hold the button on the chassis side. Hold the boost for 30-40seconds. This gives the battery charger enough time to start going to work. You will know it is working when your magnum reads bulk, or absorb. Once this happens you can disconnect your car and your all set. Let the gen do it’s thing for a few hours, comeback and fire the engine up. If you need any help with the process you can give me a call or shoot me a text. 404-314-9996
Thanks, Justin. I followed your advice and I am not up and running. On to new adventures!
Old 10-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #19

Dead batteries

Put your jumper on which ever batteries start your generator, then start the generator and let it run at least 30 min then start your engine.
BillNTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #20

Most inverter/chargers will not charge dead batteries.
Starting the generator powers the inverter/charger, which will not charge very low, dead batteries.

If you can start the engine, the alternator will charge dead batteries, all of them.
30 minutes later, start the generator and then let it charge the now partially charged batteries.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #21

Much good advice here but I do advocate buying a high quality jump-start battery. I have one I bought from NAPA, I specified I wanted it to power my RVI Brake set in my toad for a few days, run my portable air compressor for as long as it needed, jump start my coach and toad if necessary. I have no idea how many amps the thing will put out, but it has jump started diesel RVs, gas RVs, and toads with no problem A caveat to the getting the generator going. Your engine starting battery is significantly less ampere hours than your house bank, so if both are dead, it will take much longer to bring your house bank up enough to help jump the engine battery. Hook up the jump-start battery, walk up to the front of the coach and start the engine! It'll take less amps to get your engine bank up enough to start than to get enough charge into your house bank. The folks at NAPA (or most auto parts stores) can recommend a good jump-start battery for less than $150 and it'll get you going and be on hand for future needs.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #22

I just bought the NOCO 150 plenty of power to start my 8.9 liter ISL. See link below.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
iholtzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:38 PM   #23

Quote:
While spending the last few months frantically getting our house ready to sell so we can begin our FT adventure, our coach sat in our HOA's RV lot where the batteries, coach and chassis, slowly died (if it helps, I have thoroughly beaten myself up for allowing this to happen). I called Coach Net and they were able to find one crew to come out and jump-start my rig....$150/hr with a 2-hour minimum! For that amount I can buy portable jumper in case this lesson fades from my memory.

Looking for recommendations as to what jump starter to buy. Thanks for the assistance.
Can the generator not be started/jumped and use that for 3-4 house to charge up the dead batteries, if they will using the start override to link the house batteries in circuit?

If the old batteries have sulphated badly or if wet cell dried up. Consider 6V golf cart batteries. A bit of cable work to do but over time provided more A/H.
BigMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #24

Talking Jumpstarting batteries

Quote:
While spending the last few months frantically getting our house ready to sell so we can begin our FT adventure, our coach sat in our HOA's RV lot where the batteries, coach and chassis, slowly died (if it helps, I have thoroughly beaten myself up for allowing this to happen). I called Coach Net and they were able to find one crew to come out and jump-start my rig....$150/hr with a 2-hour minimum! For that amount I can buy portable jumper in case this lesson fades from my memory.

Looking for recommendations as to what jump starter to buy. Thanks for the assistance.

Join AAA and purchase their RV package and the benefits for your RV will be nearly the same for your car. Jump starting is free.
Also buying a Starting/Charging device is a good idea never the less.
RDMJEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks, Justin. I followed your advice and I am not up and running. On to new adventures!
I meant that I am NOW up and running. Damn that spell check. Sometimes it can be my worst enema.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #26

Another thought

I have a diesel pusher, and running the chassis batteries down is especially painful. I solved it this way: EVERY time I park my RV I open the rear motor hatch and throw the chassis power switch to “off”. This disconnects the chassis batteries, but the house batteries continue todo their thing. Once I started this habit,I have NEVER had a dead battery on startup, even on extended storage. It’s now my habit.
Fastdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:12 AM   #27
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdog View Post
I have a diesel pusher, and running the chassis batteries down is especially painful. I solved it this way: EVERY time I park my RV I open the rear motor hatch and throw the chassis power switch to “off”. This disconnects the chassis batteries, but the house batteries continue todo their thing. Once I started this habit,I have NEVER had a dead battery on startup, even on extended storage. It’s now my habit.

While keeping my RV in an enclosed storage facility I printed a picture of the battery compartment and switches for the attendants to turn off when they parked it. It was a great place. Call them and the RV was washed and out in a secure holding pen for pickup. Putting it away was just as easy.

My owners manual specifically calls out turning off the battery switches when stored for more than a few days. Dead batteries are no fun.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I was wondering why everyone was trying to jump start the diesel when all that is necessary is to get the generator started first and let it charge the house and chassis
If your house batteries are dead, you may not be able to start your generator to charge anything. It happened to me.
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries