Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just Another Newbie

We may or may not be Newmar Owners. We have found a 2000 Newmar Kountry Star in fair shape that we are considering. It does not check all of our boxes in terms of what we have said were priority items, but this looks like a potential rig to flip. It is without some of the furniture, dining table and a chair or love seat opposite the long couch that is there. I'm not sure the DW will accept the couch either, but that's a wait and see. The seller is claiming that it is a 300HP Cummins, but my research says that no such thing existed in 2000. I'm also wondering re: bed size, I've seen one notation elsewhere that it is a queen, but the floorplan shows a "75 inch bed" which could correlate to either a full bed or short queen. Also, diesel pushers are touted for their air ride and air brakes, but I don't find reference to either in literature. And finally, does anyone have any idea what transmission would be installed, again, no reference in owner's manual or brochure. Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.
sho4go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2, sho4go.
A few links for you. Help in getting around irv2.
Important links for Newmar Owners.
All the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar.
Brochure ----- Owners Guide
Now to answer your questions.
The queen bed is a short bed if you have a bedroom slide, no slide small bed because of room size and furniture, I had same floor plan no problem getting around room.
Look in QT's 1 & 2 to near end of link to my kitchen table set up for a idea of what you could have.
Spartan Summit chassis 260hp engine standard no options for anything larger. Spartan may have a chip for increased HP.
If you go into QT's # 3 and down to SPK64 MOD and REPAIR section of his MADP COACH many of the items in it can apply to your coach.
Have you referenced to SPARTAN FORUM for chassis information.
FEIGHTLINER had the 300 HP engine in 2001.
Good luck in what ever you decide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not familiar with the KS as we ordered DSDP's, a 2000 and 2002.
Have you checked the old brochures that Newmar has on their site?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho4go View Post
We may or may not be Newmar Owners. We have found a 2000 Newmar Kountry Star in fair shape that we are considering. It does not check all of our boxes in terms of what we have said were priority items, but this looks like a potential rig to flip. It is without some of the furniture, dining table and a chair or love seat opposite the long couch that is there. I'm not sure the DW will accept the couch either, but that's a wait and see. The seller is claiming that it is a 300HP Cummins, but my research says that no such thing existed in 2000. I'm also wondering re: bed size, I've seen one notation elsewhere that it is a queen, but the floorplan shows a "75 inch bed" which could correlate to either a full bed or short queen. Also, diesel pushers are touted for their air ride and air brakes, but I don't find reference to either in literature. And finally, does anyone have any idea what transmission would be installed, again, no reference in owner's manual or brochure. Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.
Welcome sho4go
Looks like 2 models, 3357 & 3565 are diesel on Freightliner chassis.
210HP in 2000. I didn't see info on the transmission. 75" would be a short queen. There was 1-2 gas model floor plans with 80" queen. Model 37XX.
Found this info on Newmar's site in the brochure archive.

Too many unknown factors to advise on flipping possibilities.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the responses, I apologize for not providing more details re:model, it is a KDSDP3550.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your saying KDSDP are you sure its not just a DSDP -- DUTCH STAR DP??
May make a big difference.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the catch, 5 places on the listing had KSDP, the only place on the listing that said DSDP was where I looked to get the info, DOH!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
DSDP Brochure --- DSDP Owners Guide

NOW YOU HAVE YOUR 300HP MOTOR ON SPARTAN CHASSIS.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
There does appear to be a 2000 Kountry Star diesel pusher KSDP3550.
Best I can determine is that was on a Spartan Summit chassis with 260HP. I didn't find a Dutch Star 3550 model but the older brochures are a bit confusing. I may have missed it.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is definitely a KSDP 3550. But, I have seen a 2000 Dutch Star that was listed with a 300HP Cummins, so they were possible and advertised HP may have been different from posted chassis HP by virtue of one being measured at flywheel and one being measured at rear wheel with flywheel providing the most generous option. Regardless, there are ways to tune those engines for greater output if one wanted to spend the money to do so. Now, just being a rube I know, but is it safe to assume that the rig has air ride and air brakes? Also, I've been told that it is always best to have two AC's in the South and this unit only has one. Anyone have any thoughts on that. The link to the unit is here.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #11

Being that it's definitely a Kountry Star 3550 it came with a 260 hp rated Cummins. Given the age, one of the owners could have had the pump increased that would raise the hp to 300.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I would expect the Dutch Star to be 300HP. The Dutch Star is the next level up in the Newmar line over the KSDP. The Kountry Star line has been replaced by the Ventana line. The Dutch Star today is still the next step up in the product line over the Ventana.
Regardless of what model you were to choose, I think you will find Newmar quality to be top of the line.
You can also get the answer to most questions at this site. Lots of experienced, smart folks here. Never be afraid to ask.
Good luck
Old 02-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to say that I am truly impressed by the amount of activity on this forum. I've been a participant on several car forums and they are not anywhere near this active.
Thanks for the responses, I don't think the seller is attempting to misrepresent his product, but I think he is making some assumptions re: engine size and HP. I'm still wondering about air ride and air brakes and would anyone care to weigh in re: the generac propane generator. From my reading, it appears that diesel powered Onans are most common/desired? Is there anything terribly negative about the generac? My knowledge of home units is favorable for propane powered units: cleaner burning, extended use time on equivalent volume of fuel vs gas, but I don't know if there are negatives that come into play when you're talking about a moving platform.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho4go View Post
I have to say that I am truly impressed by the amount of activity on this forum. I've been a participant on several car forums and they are not anywhere near this active.
Thanks for the responses, I don't think the seller is attempting to misrepresent his product, but I think he is making some assumptions re: engine size and HP. I'm still wondering about air ride and air brakes and would anyone care to weigh in re: the generac propane generator. From my reading, it appears that diesel powered Onans are most common/desired? Is there anything terribly negative about the generac? My knowledge of home units is favorable for propane powered units: cleaner burning, extended use time on equivalent volume of fuel vs gas, but I don't know if there are negatives that come into play when you're talking about a moving platform.
Yes it has air brakes and air ride. I would bet it has the ISB (smaller) Cummins engine, not the ISC which was used in the Dutch Star. As for the generator the biggest problem I see is the limited fuel supply.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags