Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #1

Just bought 2016 Newmar Dutch Star

New to the site I need help with my super-slide is dropping about one inch down when extended from the inside Anybody else have this problem??? Thank you what to do what to do? Also a good extended warranty
kburkead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Sorry i can't help with slide problem but someone will be along with some info i am sure.

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sure this is not the case but will at least go over the obvious. When we put our hydraulic slides out (the front of the coach) they go out and at the last bit drop maybe an inch when they settle. This is normal operation.

I'm assuming you are saying it is dropping an inch and not level or correct with the rest of the floor. Thankfully I haven't had to adjust my slides but if this is the issue, I would google it or better yet call Newmar. They are a great company and seem always happy to help.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #4

I assuming you're talking about the full wall slide (FWS) on the street (drivers) side of the coach. The early generation (2016) of the HWH FWS by Newmar was not reinforced correctly and the floor would sag to the outside. Mine would actually break the edge of the tiles when retracting if left out for a couple weeks. I made an appointment with Newmar at the 2 year mark with our coach and they had to replace the superstructure (interior frame) of the slide. Took a few days at the factory, but they did it for free and the slide works great now. We use Cornerstone for extended warranty. Several claims, no hassles.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #5

Can you explain further? Do you mean the full wall slide floor is not even the whole width as compared to the center floor? You will have a little tilting down I think even if you extend your slides properly. If you do not have your jacks down and are aired up the 3500 pound wall slide when extended will cause the whole coach to tilt to the drivers side. Is that what is going on?
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #6

I had never purchased an extended warranty/service plan for anything ,ever.... that is until I had all the issues during my first year with my Dutch Star. It was at the dealer more than with me. I purchased a Coachnet service plan and have been very happy. They have covered everything with no hassle and I'm only out my $100 deductible per visit ( not per item being fixed) I've had the indash GPS/entertainment center replaced, new washing machine , a couple roof AC's ,2 slide motors, among many other items. It's more than paid for itself plus I don't have to worry about any upcoming expense for the next couple of years.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum. As I understand the 2016 had a slide issue, I think because the first year of the star foundation, I have a extended Warranty from NIRVC have not used yet hope never have to use either but it’s good peace of mind

Zzotte
Old 03-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburkead View Post
New to the site I need help with my super-slide is dropping about one inch down when extended from the inside Anybody else have this problem??? Thank you what to do what to do? Also a good extended warranty
I have a 2016 Dutchstar 3736 and had the same problem. Took it to factory In Dec 2017 and they did virtually a complete rebuild on the full wall slide because of a poor design. This was done under warranty as there is a 5 year structural warranty on NEWMAR Dutchstars. It’s a rather involved procedure so only a very few NEWMAR dealers can do it or the factory.

Call NEWMAR to get their advise.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngflyer View Post
I have a 2016 Dutchstar 3736 and had the same problem. Took it to factory In Dec 2017 and they did virtually a complete rebuild on the full wall slide because of a poor design. This was done under warranty as there is a 5 year structural warranty on NEWMAR Dutchstars. It’s a rather involved procedure so only a very few NEWMAR dealers can do it or the factory.

Call NEWMAR to get their advise.
5 year structure warranty to original owners only.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
5 year structure warranty to original owners only.
Still worth a call. I think they would assist in some way.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
As others have said, 2016 was the first year of the hydraulic HWH fullwall slide and there were some growing pains. This was across all the "luxury" lines, not just the Dutch Star.

I'm assuming what you're attempting to describe is the floor of the slide is not level with the coach floor. I'd heard of as much of a 3/4" difference, ours was a bit less. Ours was one of the first coaches to have newly designed end rails installed. These run vertically on either end and are what the chains attach to. This got ours level but one of these new rails suffered a catastrophic failure, thankfully while it was in the service shop. Our tech did a great job of welding in additional structural support and all has been well since.

I think they went through three or four generations in the design of that rail and yours is the first I've heard of with a problem in a long time. It suggests to me that the previous owner never bothered to follow up on it. I suggest you call Newmar and see what they are willing to do for you. You may be pleasantly surprised.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
You slide could be the hydraulic slide or the old Newmar operation of FWS, 2016-17 was a transition year for FWS.
Some links for you this one to cover many items, this one to cover old system and this one new.
Brochure --- Owner Guide
Accordingly OG says you have the Hydro FWS so all previous posts will apply as to possible problems..
Enjoy you coach and safe travels when you do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, dutch star