Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Looks factory!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #30

I have a fifth wheel Lincoln Rushmore and did exactly the same thing. I also added "easy starts" to all 3 because ii couldn't start the third AC in some parks, pushed their 50 amps too much.
Broland13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #31

Just got done adding a third A/C on my 2015 DSDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
I finally finished today adding the third Roof Top AC on my 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018. I used the kitchen Fantastic Vent opening which worked great!

I installed a Furrion 15,500 BTU and the toughest part was getting it on the roof itself. Took two of us and a couple ladders and pulled it up using a rope. I'll attach some before and after pictures. This unit is NOT ducted into the existing ductwork and it's controlled separately. It's rated at 15.4 running amps but is shows only 12-13 when running and all three AC's running is just fine. The new unit is on Leg/Line 1, see picture for total amps drawn with both running.

Awesome job. I just finished installing "Easy Starts" on my Dometic units and ran both on 30amp service. They only draw 13amps on startup. I see in my future a 3rd AC.

2011 Allegro Bus
rvtraveler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:32 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broland13 View Post
I have a fifth wheel Lincoln Rushmore and did exactly the same thing. I also added "easy starts" to all 3 because ii couldn't start the third AC in some parks, pushed their 50 amps too much.
Good point!

Depending on how it plays out next weekend in actual use, especially in 100 degree weather with no shade, I might add a soft start to my Dometic on AC1 since it's on the same Leg as my new AC Unit. One advantage I have is the Furrion doesn't need a soft start the way its designed, dual fan motors and a start capacitor. You hardly notice it start the compressor and the amps don't jump, unlike my Dometics.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtraveler10 View Post
Awesome job. I just finished installing "Soft Starts" on my Dometic units and ran both on 30amp service. They only draw 13amps on startup. I see in my future a 3rd AC.

2011 Allegro Bus
May I ask, which brand did you use as a soft start?
Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #34

Great job, Ted! I have bee thinking of adding a 3rd AC to my 5th wheel RV where the Fantastic Fan sits in the approximate center of the RV. I would have 12VDC there already and easy access to the power panel and the existing multi-zone Dometic thermostat. However, six months or so ago, AC units were in short supply. Also, I don't know if I can hook a third AC unit into the existing thermostat. The Furrion unit might be the answer. Because the 5th wheel ceiling is so high at that location, I'll have to be able to control it remotely. Thanks for posting!
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Camper View Post
Great job, Ted! I have bee thinking of adding a 3rd AC to my 5th wheel RV where the Fantastic Fan sits in the approximate center of the RV. I would have 12VDC there already and easy access to the power panel and the existing multi-zone Dometic thermostat. However, six months or so ago, AC units were in short supply. Also, I don't know if I can hook a third AC unit into the existing thermostat. The Furrion unit might be the answer. Because the 5th wheel ceiling is so high at that location, I'll have to be able to control it remotely. Thanks for posting!
Thanks for the thanks

Hopefully you'll have the room on top of your 5th wheel as well for the extra height of the AC unit itself. I'd also purchase a Furrion A/C Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit if you're going with the Furrion Thermostat as well. Comes with a 10ft length sensor wire, and plugs directly into the control box of the unit once the cover is removed. https://castlewinch.com/product/tsrk/
On mine I just removed the existing sensor and spliced into it's wires and connected them to two of the extra thermostat wires not being used. Then brought the sensor to where the matching wires came out and connected to them as well. Not quite as neat but did the trick!
Old 06-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #36

Great read...I don't understand why higher end or 40+ foot RVs don't come with a 3rd AC...out in no shade 95+, 2 ACs won't keep up - too much real estate to cover.

You went one step further that me - I was considering a 3rd AC above my loft but no external thermostat - too difficult for me to run/pull wire. I have access to 120 nearby that I could manage through with no issue but I would have to farm out the task or running thermostat wire...FOund something a while back that a remote for controlling the AC so I wouldn't have to send the wife up in the loft to change or turn on.

Thanks again for the read.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:38 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Great read...I don't understand why higher end or 40+ foot RVs don't come with a 3rd AC...out in no shade 95+, 2 ACs won't keep up - too much real estate to cover.

You went one step further that me - I was considering a 3rd AC above my loft but no external thermostat - too difficult for me to run/pull wire. I have access to 120 nearby that I could manage through with no issue but I would have to farm out the task or running thermostat wire...FOund something a while back that a remote for controlling the AC so I wouldn't have to send the wife up in the loft to change or turn on.

Thanks again for the read.
Thanks

Furrion does make the 15,500 and the 14,500 with the thermostat build into the controller. All you'll need is the 120v and you'd be set. The Fan, On and Off plus the Temp settings comes through the Distribution box. It's the easiest way to go and was my original intent to do it that way. Here's a link to that unit combo:

https://furrion.com/collections/air-...itioner-system
Old 06-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Thanks for the thanks

Hopefully you'll have the room on top of your 5th wheel as well for the extra height of the AC unit itself. I'd also purchase a Furrion A/C Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit if you're going with the Furrion Thermostat as well. Comes with a 10ft length sensor wire, and plugs directly into the control box of the unit once the cover is removed. https://castlewinch.com/product/tsrk/
On mine I just removed the existing sensor and spliced into it's wires and connected them to two of the extra thermostat wires not being used. Then brought the sensor to where the matching wires came out and connected to them as well. Not quite as neat but did the trick!

Height is a big concern. I currently have a low profile AC in front and that is at 13'5". I sure don't want to exceed that. I haven't measured yet to see if a full profile AC can go in the Fantastic Fan spot. I may be forced to use another low profile unit. The 10 foot sensor wire would do the trick in my case.
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Camper View Post
Height is a big concern. I currently have a low profile AC in front and that is at 13'5". I sure don't want to exceed that. I haven't measured yet to see if a full profile AC can go in the Fantastic Fan spot. I may be forced to use another low profile unit. The 10 foot sensor wire would do the trick in my case.
Furrion dimensions:

Overall dimensions: 34-7/8" long x 27-5/8" wide x 13-5/8" tall

Dometic Penguin II low profile:

40" long x 29" wide x 9.5 inches tall

So the Furrion is over 4" taller and it's 11 lbs lighter.

So how tall would your 5th wheel be with either of the two?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #40

All your links in the opening message lead to Walmart!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
All your links in the opening message lead to Walmart!
Just tested the few links I posted and they all go to where they are supposed to go. Please state which post # that you believe has a bad link. Thanks
Old 06-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #42

post #7
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote