Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #1

Just Purchased 2003 Newmar Scottsdale 37ft. Please share any and all comments.

We are workampers and full time RVers, on the road for the past 4 years. We just traded our 30 ft trailer and truck for a 2003 Newmar 37 ft Scottsdale Gas. It seems to be in great shape with 52,000 miles. It has a few gel coat or clear coat blistering/peeling problems on the lower part of the coach, which I have seen as common for that year. Just wondering what else to expect and hoping for others to share their experiences with this model.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you to start.
If your coach chassis is a Workhorse there was a recall for brake system that should have been done.
In my signature there are three links that some apply to your coach.
Other than that enjoy and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #3

Welcome the the Newmar Family. We have a 2003 32ft. Scottsdale with the 8.1 Workhorse. Other then the peeling gel coat, the Scottsdale is a great coach. i have only had minor repairs. The Scottsdale was built just as good as the higher end Newmar coaches. If you have the workhorse chassis check on the brake recall.
Jazzz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a 2003 Scottsdale in July 2012. I have enjoyed it so far. Had to fix little things. Only major thing I have to do is replace the two front leveling jacks. Contemplating doing that job myself. Most of my mechanicals probably arise from not using it enough.
bw134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to Newmar. I purchased my Scottsdale in 2004. It has been a great coach. Just a few minor problems. The last couple of years, I have not used it very much. It is built very good. I have had a few problems with the Workhorse chassis. Brake recall and brake problems before the recall. Right now I am experiences a problem with the engine starting. But overall, I would rate the Scottsdale a very good buy...........
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #6

We have a 2005 Scottsdale 3671 with about 66,000 miles on 8.1L engine. I echo all the comments above. We have had no problems with the chassis or engine. No problems with any of the "Newmar" stuff. All issues have been other vendors. Had to replace the Dometic refer. That has been our biggest issue so far. We have had our share of minor issues as has everyone. We are considering moving to a newer and bigger coach next year, but I hate to give up one that has performed so well.
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2003 Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw134 View Post
We bought a 2003 Scottsdale in July 2012. I have enjoyed it so far. Had to fix little things. Only major thing I have to do is replace the two front leveling jacks. Contemplating doing that job myself. Most of my mechanicals probably arise from not using it enough.
I drove the coach from Cleveland to Louisville, KY and it started missing. Made the roundtrip though. Had four coil packs and sparkplug and wires replace. Seems to be running great. However before I put it away the check engine light came back on. Will have that checked next April when I take it out of storage.

The only other thing I have to figure out is how to change left sparkplug on the generator. It is a very tight fit. Generac says take the valve cover off. That will be a spring project also.

I am real happy with my purchase. Looked at a lot of used starter coaches and settled on the Scottsdale. Couldn't get a good deal in Ohio so I flew to Florida and bought it and had a great time driving it back to Ohio.
bw134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Smile

Thank you for the comments and helpful tips. I think we made a good choice and the price was definitely right. We have now spent 4 weeks in the RV and love the layout and the comfort, but we have only put a little over 500 miles on it.
I checked and all the recalls and updates have been made including modification to the air intake to solve the rain water entering the air cleaner.
We seem to be getting about 8.2 MPG on flat to rolling hill terrain, which is as good or better than my truck with the 30 ft TT got. I am happy there.
Couple of questions though.
I can not turn on the 2 lights above the driver and passenger chairs. The bulbs are ok, but no power. Is this the courtesy light switch that should turn them on (I understand there are also individual switches on the lights). Also, the switch for "Driving Lights" does nothing. Are these the 2 lights on the front grill?
My last question is as to your experience with the clear cost on the lower portion of the coach. Mine is peeling badly in some spots (compartment doors, front grill, fender flares). This is part of the reason we got a great price, but I am now considering "the fix". Is this a common problem on this unit, can I expect more areas to appear? For now I am just going to scrape of the flaking portion, clean up the base coat and spray on a rattle can clear coat from 3M hoping to stop the spreading. I don't want to invest a whole lot of money in that until I find out if a total repaint is the only solution.
Other than that, we are very happy Scottsdale owners and are looking forward to springtime when we will put another couple thousand miles on it. We now have 52875 miles.
Thanks again everyone for your input
Bruce Longmore
Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

for the lights above the front seats, try rotating the "wheel" that controls the dash brightness to the max position...and then try the individual light switches (if any).
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your over head map lamps are controlled by the dash dimmer switch on dash turn all the way up on dial or wheel. Plus you see the switch's on lamp base.
The drivers lights may be run through a relay on your fuse board under your dash panel.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum and the Newmar family. I'm sure you'll enjoy your coach. As to your clearcoat issues I feel your pain. I've not really seen the issue in the area you are mentioning but I've seen plenty including ours with this problem on the upper front and rear caps. Suggestions have said you haven't kept the area waxed but believe me our coach gets two coats of wax per year. I believe it was poor preparation and a lack of enough clear coat being applied. Other then that issue the coach has been great. You'll probably always have an onboard problem with an appliance but is to be expected. Enjoy your coach and your future adventures and keep us up to date on what you decide on the paint issue.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blongmore View Post
Thank you for the comments and helpful tips. I think we made a good choice and the price was definitely right. We have now spent 4 weeks in the RV and love the layout and the comfort, but we have only put a little over 500 miles on it.
I checked and all the recalls and updates have been made including modification to the air intake to solve the rain water entering the air cleaner.
We seem to be getting about 8.2 MPG on flat to rolling hill terrain, which is as good or better than my truck with the 30 ft TT got. I am happy there.
Couple of questions though.
I can not turn on the 2 lights above the driver and passenger chairs. The bulbs are ok, but no power. Is this the courtesy light switch that should turn them on (I understand there are also individual switches on the lights). Also, the switch for "Driving Lights" does nothing. Are these the 2 lights on the front grill?
My last question is as to your experience with the clear cost on the lower portion of the coach. Mine is peeling badly in some spots (compartment doors, front grill, fender flares). This is part of the reason we got a great price, but I am now considering "the fix". Is this a common problem on this unit, can I expect more areas to appear? For now I am just going to scrape of the flaking portion, clean up the base coat and spray on a rattle can clear coat from 3M hoping to stop the spreading. I don't want to invest a whole lot of money in that until I find out if a total repaint is the only solution.
Other than that, we are very happy Scottsdale owners and are looking forward to springtime when we will put another couple thousand miles on it. We now have 52875 miles.
Thanks again everyone for your input
Bruce Longmore
Driver's overhead is controlled by the rotating wheel on the dash AND the small switch on the light fixture; both have to be on for it to illuminate. It runs from the Chassis system! The passenger overhead also has the small switch on the fixture and should have a rocker switch on the right side passenger panel. This fixture is part of the COACH system so if you've got the coach batteries turned off it will not function.
Hagenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #13

Not much to add except that we love our 2005 Scottsdale 3201 that we purchased in July 2013. What's not to love? Newmar has won us over with the fit and finish plus it is so quiet on the road. I barley hear 18 wheelers as they roar past. The coach tracks nicely and has plenty of power. I am still dealing with a bit of the water ingestion problem on the ford chassis though. Oh well, with RV's it's always this or that...enjoy!
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the 2004 gas mountain aire and love it. We almost bought an 03 scottsdale. They are all great coaches. Pulling out on Saturday, Jan. 4 for Oregon from Virginia. I hope we can dodge the snow and ice! Have fun in your new-to-you rig.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, purchase